Quick Property Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TurkeyDay

Quick Property Question

Postby TurkeyDay » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm studying for my exam... reading about tacking.

Just to be clear, if two people are adversely possessing a property at the same time, let's say 2 years, is the period "tacked" to 4 years? Or, do they have to be subsequent possessors in privity? I.e., instead of occupying at the same time, one occupies for 2 years and passes it to another for another 2?

Or.. am I overthinking? :) Just checking!

Thanks.

Edit: Oh wait, privity means passing on possession? So the latter, correct?

Re: Quick Property Question

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:32 pm

TurkeyDay wrote:I'm studying for my exam... reading about tacking.

Just to be clear, if two people are adversely possessing a property at the same time, let's say 2 years, is the period "tacked" to 4 years? Or, do they have to be subsequent possessors in privity? I.e., instead of occupying at the same time, one occupies for 2 years and passes it to another for another 2?

Or.. am I overthinking? :) Just checking!

Thanks.

Edit: Oh wait, privity means passing on possession? So the latter, correct?

Tacking means one adverse possessor takes from another and the time is added together. If they are both there simultaneously, they only get credit for the time they are there as they are adverse possessing as TIC.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”