Toshiba Laptop

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dextermorgan

Re: Toshiba Laptop

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:Strong Mac fan boy force here. If you want a laptop that will run any application you need and be much cheaper get an ASUS or something similar. MAC is like what a Lexus is to a Toyota. It will have same hardware except twice as much and It's just for looks and luxuries that aren't required to get from destination A to B without breaking down.

A Geo Metro can get you from point A to point B. Are there cheaper options? Sure. Are there better options? That is much more subjective.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Definitely sounds like you got a lemon. My toshiba is two years old, I've upgraded the ram, but I've had zero problems with it whatsoever. In fact, I never even let it turn off or go on standby. It's always either in class with me or running two hd screens at home. I bought it for <$400 and it runs beautifully compared to the >$1500 HP I had last that cooked its gpu within a year, on the exact same screens the toshiba runs flawlessly.

redgreenpaper

Postby redgreenpaper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:02 am

do not buy any apple laptops. ridiculously overpriced for half ass specs. if you search up the acer timeline x (a certain model forgot which one) it has the exact same specs as a macbook that is double its price.

buy the laptop that i am typing on right now. Asus N53SV. specs are amazing for its price. i guarantee that it will last you a long time. even a couple years from now its specs will still be sufficient.

oh ya by the way i bought this laptop in september and it was $869. you can probably get it cheaper now

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:07 am

I had a Dell Inspiron for three years no problem. my sister has that one now. So now it has been running five years no problem. I did have to get a new battery for it after 2.5 years but that will happen.

Now have had a Dell Studio for 2 years no issues. Dells have really worked out fine for me.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:28 am

redgreenpaper wrote:do not buy any apple laptops. ridiculously overpriced for half ass specs. if you search up the acer timeline x (a certain model forgot which one) it has the exact same specs as a macbook that is double its price.

buy the laptop that i am typing on right now. Asus N53SV. specs are amazing for its price. i guarantee that it will last you a long time. even a couple years from now its specs will still be sufficient.

oh ya by the way i bought this laptop in september and it was $869. you can probably get it cheaper now

I further recommend that you purchase cars solely on the basis of (1) price, and (2) 0-60 time. Do not buy a car other than the Geo Metro unless its 0-60/Price ratio is significantly above that of the Geo Metro.

Even more importantly, do not rent/purchase a home unless its square footage to price ratio is significantly higher than this bargain drug den ghetto locale I found in the Bronx: Image

Edit: I just realized that I'm the second person in this thread to rag on the Geo Metro. My apologies, GM.

redgreenpaper

Postby redgreenpaper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
redgreenpaper wrote:do not buy any apple laptops. ridiculously overpriced for half ass specs. if you search up the acer timeline x (a certain model forgot which one) it has the exact same specs as a macbook that is double its price.

I further recommend that you purchase cars solely on the basis of (1) price, and (2) 0-60 time. Do not buy a car other than the Geo Metro unless its 0-60/Price ratio is significantly above that of the Geo Metro.

Even more importantly, do not rent/purchase a home unless its square footage to price ratio is significantly higher than this bargain drug den ghetto locale I found in the Bronx: Image

Edit: I just realized that I'm the second person in this thread to rag on the Geo Metro. My apologies, GM.

look at this king of wit over here trying to be funny

your analogy does not work

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:43 pm

My Asus UL30-VT has lasted 2 years being beat up in my back pack, and being driving in my motorcycle's side case EVERYDAY. It is my only computer, and it is used 15 hours a day. The only problem is that the battery went dead 3 days prior to the 1-year warranty expired, but ASUS sent me a new one in 4 days. Overall, I'm happy with my ASUS. Super thin, very light, and durable.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:35 am

shepdawg wrote:My Asus UL30-VT has lasted 2 years being beat up in my back pack, and being driving in my motorcycle's side case EVERYDAY. It is my only computer, and it is used 15 hours a day. The only problem is that the battery went dead 3 days prior to the 1-year warranty expired, but ASUS sent me a new one in 4 days. Overall, I'm happy with my ASUS. Super thin, very light, and durable.

I personally always go with Dell on my windows boxes, as they're generally the cheapest (when nothing's on sale), and they always last me at least 2-3 years. For premium windows machines, I've only heard good things about Asus. See http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”