Memo - use federal case from another circuit Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Silver

Memo - use federal case from another circuit

Post by Extension_Cord » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Will it substantially effect my credibility to use a case from another federal circuit?

I found a really on point case in another circuit, but really weak cases in my own. I was wondering if its best to use the weaker one because its in my circuit or to use the other because I dont have space for both.
Last edited by Extension_Cord on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Re: Memo - use federal case from another circuit

Post by ph14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:Will it substantially effect my credibility to use a case from another federal circuit?
I would only use it if I couldn't find anything at all from my own circuit. If you can't then it's okay to use a case from another circuit. Your job is to predict the law I think, so if you think the court will find the other Circuit persuasive, then you can use it. But binding precedent is obviously much, much better.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm

ph14 wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Will it substantially effect my credibility to use a case from another federal circuit?
I would only use it if I couldn't find anything at all from my own circuit. If you can't then it's okay to use a case from another circuit. Your job is to predict the law I think, so if you think the court will find the other Circuit persuasive, then you can use it. But binding precedent is obviously much, much better.
If we're talking about an objective memo, then this is the way to go.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Weak in terms of relevance, or support for your position? That's an important difference.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:58 am

This depends on whether your circuit has directly addressed the particular issue you are writing about. If your circuit has only tangentally dealt with the issue, or better yet, not discussed the issue at all, other circuit precedent can be highly persuasive, and is sometimes necessary due to lack of local on-point authority. However, if your circuit has addressed the issue, and the case from the other circuit conflicts with local authority or represents a split in authority amongst the circuits, then it is very weak, and possibly an example of what the law is not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”