Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Magnificent
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby Magnificent » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:17 pm

So I'm gunning for an appellate clerkship following graduation. I'm planning on taking these courses before graduation.

Corporations
Evidence
Admin
Fed Courts
Antitrust
Fed Income Tax
Crim Pro
Securities Reg

Am I missing anything?

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby leobowski » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Employment discrimination/ employment law. Immigration too, unless you're competitive for circuits like the 2nd where they have their own immigration-specific clerks.

You may also want to take a mix of black-letter and seminar courses, to make your life easier and taken advantage of the grade inflation in seminars. I took black-letter courses exclusively over my 2nd year and it was brutal. Also consider whether you need to take some easier courses to have time for law review.

Edit: wait are you a 1L? Forget about clerkships until you get grades back/ get on LR. The classes you take don't even matter that much.

Magnificent
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby Magnificent » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:01 pm

leobowski wrote:Employment discrimination/ employment law. Immigration too, unless you're competitive for circuits like the 2nd where they have their own immigration-specific clerks.

You may also want to take a mix of black-letter and seminar courses, to make your life easier and taken advantage of the grade inflation in seminars. I took black-letter courses exclusively over my 2nd year and it was brutal. Also consider whether you need to take some easier courses to have time for law review.

Edit: wait are you a 1L? Forget about clerkships until you get grades back/ get on LR. The classes you take don't even matter that much.


2L....already on LR.....gonna see if I get on admin board next semester

right now I'm planning on taking 2 of these BLL classes a semester and one-two seminars mixed in.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:07 pm

leobowski wrote:I took black-letter courses exclusively over my 2nd year and it was brutal.

This. Especially if one of them is Fed Courts. Take that as a 3L.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:09 pm

leobowski wrote:Employment discrimination/ employment law. Immigration too, unless you're competitive for circuits like the 2nd where they have their own immigration-specific clerks.

You may also want to take a mix of black-letter and seminar courses, to make your life easier and taken advantage of the grade inflation in seminars. I took black-letter courses exclusively over my 2nd year and it was brutal. Also consider whether you need to take some easier courses to have time for law review.

Edit: wait are you a 1L? Forget about clerkships until you get grades back/ get on LR. The classes you take don't even matter that much.


Is this school specific or generally true at all schools?

Magnificent
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby Magnificent » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
leobowski wrote:I took black-letter courses exclusively over my 2nd year and it was brutal.

This. Especially if one of them is Fed Courts. Take that as a 3L.


don't the most competitive judge wanna see a good Fed Courts grade before they hire?

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Although certainly not necessary, a course on remedies might be helpful...

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Magnificent wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
leobowski wrote:I took black-letter courses exclusively over my 2nd year and it was brutal.

This. Especially if one of them is Fed Courts. Take that as a 3L.

don't the most competitive judge wanna see a good Fed Courts grade before they hire?

No, they just want to know that you're taking it, from what I understand.

I'll put it this way: I was one of only two 2Ls in my Fed Courts class. At HLS. Everyone else was a 3L. If you had to take it as a 2L, wouldn't there be more 2Ls in there?

Magnificent
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby Magnificent » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Magnificent wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
leobowski wrote:I took black-letter courses exclusively over my 2nd year and it was brutal.

This. Especially if one of them is Fed Courts. Take that as a 3L.


don't the most competitive judge wanna see a good Fed Courts grade before they hire?

Not necessarily. Although they want to see Fed Courts, they want to see all As/Hs/HHs/182s more. An A in employment discrimination will get you further, with most judges, than a B+ in Fed Courts. And as pointed out above, you can always take Fed Courts after you land your clerkship, thus satisfying any demand on the judge's part.


but wouldn't getting an A in Fed Courts be more impressive than getting an A in employment?

I assume that someone who got all A's in corporations, fed courts, admin, etc. would be a more impressive candidate for a feeder judge than someone who got all A's in labor, employment, immigration, etc.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 am

Magnificent wrote:but wouldn't getting an A in Fed Courts be more impressive than getting an A in employment?

I assume that someone who got all A's in corporations, fed courts, admin, etc. would be a more impressive candidate for a feeder judge than someone who got all A's in labor, employment, immigration, etc.

Sure, but the A in Fed Courts will be far harder to get.

People usually don't take Fed Courts unless they want a competitive clerkship. And as discussed, very few 2Ls take it. So you're going to be competing with 3Ls, most of whom are on LR and have a train of As running down their transcript already. And Fed Courts is (IMO) the most difficult subject matter to grasp in law school.

You have a high risk of not getting an A in Fed Courts; if you really, really want a prestigious clerkship, aim outside the gunner pit for 2L courses.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:25 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Magnificent wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
leobowski wrote:I took black-letter courses exclusively over my 2nd year and it was brutal.

This. Especially if one of them is Fed Courts. Take that as a 3L.


don't the most competitive judge wanna see a good Fed Courts grade before they hire?

Not necessarily. Although they want to see Fed Courts, they want to see all As/Hs/HHs/182s more. An A in employment discrimination will get you further, with most judges, than a B+ in Fed Courts. And as pointed out above, you can always take Fed Courts after you land your clerkship, thus satisfying any demand on the judge's part.


Tangent question for G.T.L. Rev. (or anyone else who wants to answer): Is admin law really necessarily? I've heard that besides Fed Courts, that it might be the second-most "required" class for clerkships. Please destroy this dirty rumor because I think taking admin law sounds awful.

Magnificent
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby Magnificent » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Tangent question for G.T.L. Rev. (or anyone else who wants to answer): Is admin law really necessarily? I've heard that besides Fed Courts, that it might be the second-most "required" class for clerkships. Please destroy this dirty rumor because I think taking admin law sounds awful.


I've heard its necessary for the DC circuit if you want to clerk there. Don't know about the other circuits.

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby quiver » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Tangent question for G.T.L. Rev. (or anyone else who wants to answer): Is admin law really necessarily? I've heard that besides Fed Courts, that it might be the second-most "required" class for clerkships. Please destroy this dirty rumor because I think taking admin law sounds awful.
Can't speak to your question directly since I'm only a 2L, but I'm taking Admin now and it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If you like Con Law you'll like at least half of Admin.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Must have upper-class courses for Clerkships?

Postby ph14 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:59 pm

quiver wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Tangent question for G.T.L. Rev. (or anyone else who wants to answer): Is admin law really necessarily? I've heard that besides Fed Courts, that it might be the second-most "required" class for clerkships. Please destroy this dirty rumor because I think taking admin law sounds awful.
Can't speak to your question directly since I'm only a 2L, but I'm taking Admin now and it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If you like Con Law you'll like at least half of Admin.


Personally not a big fan of administrative law.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], jolin0922, LawHammer, rockosmodernlife and 13 guests