Listening to Audio Law Summaries

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
I.P. Daly

Listening to Audio Law Summaries

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:39 am

I'll be driving home for Thanksgiving and I've borrowed several Gilbert recordings from the library.

The recordings are great. However, I notice that after about 30 minutes, I stop paying attention to what is being said. I only listen to the recordings when I'm doing something, such as driving, riding the metro, or exercising.

Does anyone have tips on how to "actively listen" to the recordings?

studebaker07

Re: Listening to Audio Law Summaries

Postby studebaker07 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:05 am

haha. That's funny, I do the same exact thing! (Although I have been using the "Legends of Law" series primarily for Con Law II).

What really helps me is to try and listen as though I was making an outline in my head. Usually the tracks have some structure to them and if you make yourself think about how each piece fits together, you will pay attention more. This will be effective too because you will actually be getting something out of the tracks.

Another thing I do too that forces me to listen is I try and piece the concepts together and place them in an outline that I have already started. I think "hmmmm.... how would this fit into my outline" or "how would this fit into my class?"

I mean, there really isn't much else you can do if you are driving (i.e. write down notes). All you can do is try and keep your mind focused on the tapes and this can be accomplished by trying to piece the ideas together in your head as though you were going to outline the audio tracks.

I hope that helps!

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm

studebaker07 wrote:haha. That's funny, I do the same exact thing! (Although I have been using the "Legends of Law" series primarily for Con Law II).

What really helps me is to try and listen as though I was making an outline in my head. Usually the tracks have some structure to them and if you make yourself think about how each piece fits together, you will pay attention more. This will be effective too because you will actually be getting something out of the tracks.

Another thing I do too that forces me to listen is I try and piece the concepts together and place them in an outline that I have already started. I think "hmmmm.... how would this fit into my outline" or "how would this fit into my class?"

I mean, there really isn't much else you can do if you are driving (i.e. write down notes). All you can do is try and keep your mind focused on the tapes and this can be accomplished by trying to piece the ideas together in your head as though you were going to outline the audio tracks.

I hope that helps!

Great ideas. Thanks!

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:47 pm

When Im tired I do the same thing. When Im cruising its easier for me to focus on the audio tapes. I think if the lecturer is boring its easier to ignore what they are saying.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I work full-time during the day and it's not always possible to outline or read a book while at work. But I can and do listen to lectures on my phone. I take notes feverishly (when I can), just to write the material down by internalizing then reiterating in my own words. If I'm not in a position to write, I visualize what the lecturer is talking about. For whatever reason when I think of easements, I think of 10Kilowatt transmission lines and poles that run through adjoining land. When I think of RAP I think about some rich old English fat-fingered miser with a curly beard trying to perpetually control his property from the grave (dead hand). I've literally listened to these lectures over and over so that i can speak along verbatim at times. You just have to be creative.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:11 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I work full-time during the day and it's not always possible to outline or read a book while at work. But I can and do listen to lectures on my phone. I take notes feverishly (when I can), just to write the material down by internalizing then reiterating in my own words. If I'm not in a position to write, I visualize what the lecturer is talking about. For whatever reason when I think of easements, I think of 10Kilowatt transmission lines and poles that run through adjoining land. When I think of RAP I think about some rich old English fat-fingered miser with a curly beard trying to perpetually control his property from the grave (dead hand). I've literally listened to these lectures over and over so that i can speak along verbatim at times. You just have to be creative.

That's a really interesting technique. I'll have to try it out.

japes

Postby japes » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:44 am

I have a few on my phone, and I find I pay much better attention when I listen to them at 2x speed. YMMV.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Hmmm. Somewhat lost in Civ Pro. I think I'll listen to all my recorded review sessions while taking the plane back home.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:43 am

Try Richard Freer's Civ Pro tapes. I think BarBri has some online lectures that he did too.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 am

Metaread wrote:Try Richard Freer's Civ Pro tapes. I think BarBri has some online lectures that he did too.

I would, but my main weakness is Erie. Seems like my prof approaches it differently from other profs by really downplaying the importance of Byrd and stressing the twin aims in Hanna. Confusing when I put this alongside what I read in the supplements!!

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:30 am

I.P. Daly wrote:I'll be driving home for Thanksgiving and I've borrowed several Gilbert recordings from the library.

The recordings are great. However, I notice that after about 30 minutes, I stop paying attention to what is being said. I only listen to the recordings when I'm doing something, such as driving, riding the metro, or exercising.

Does anyone have tips on how to "actively listen" to the recordings?

Instead of listening to the tapes for long periods of time, why don't you just listen for 10-15 minutes then turn it off and just try to repeat it to yourself aloud.

japes

Postby japes » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Metaread wrote:Try Richard Freer's Civ Pro tapes.

I've got these. Seconded.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Also, I've been recording myself explaining different topics as I read through a commercial outlines and make up my own hypos and examples. Who else can you learn better from than yourself! Plus it's like reading a section over and over the more and more you listen to it.
I listen (to myself) when shower and get ready for work, before I go to bed, and whenever I can squeeze it in between other summary lectures. The iPhone is great for this!

Ineedhelpplease

Postby Ineedhelpplease » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Is the 2009 edition the latest edition

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”