Someone in my 1L class already got a callback - WTF?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thesteelers

Someone in my 1L class already got a callback - WTF?

Postby thesteelers » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:47 am

I'm a 1L at a T30 school. One of my classmates, who is quiet and socially awkward, has apparently been way more successful than me at schmoozing lawyers at networking events. Now he's boasting that he got a CALLBACK.

How is that even possible when our first semester grades aren't out yet? Okay, he went to one of the best public universities for engineering (I can't remember if he did Chem E or EE) and got stellar grades, but he's SO AWKWARD. How has he been more successful than the rest of us at networking? I have been brooding over this all through class right now...it can only be his science background.

Also, the fact that he's boasting about it and being inconsiderate is grating on everyone's nerves. I haven't even started applying for 1L jobs yet because I'm focusing on acing my exams and then aggressively applying for work over winter break. I mean, good for him if he's qualified, but I just don't need to hear that right now.

Reassurances and/or similar stories are welcome. All that "I got a callback!" stuff just made me feel insecure, and I know a bunch of other people in my class felt the same way.

5ky

Re: Someone in my 1L class already got a callback - WTF?

Postby 5ky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:49 am

u mad?

Postby 20121109 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:50 am

I know someone who got a 1L offer at Jones Day before grades came out. Non-URM, IP.

It can happen.

Also, how can he apply for jobs yet? Is the December 1st date not universal?

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:50 am

5ky wrote:u mad?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 am

i thought nalp employers couldn't contact students till 12/1?

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 am

f0bolous wrote:i thought nalp employers couldn't contact students till 12/1?

Yes, this is true, I forgot about that. So either he's lying, or he's been cheating.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:54 am

It appears the guy is an engineer so it is probably an IP boutique which might not be a part of NALP.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:59 am

None of your fucking business. Sack the fuck up. Get your own and stop being jealous.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:03 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:None of your fucking business. Sack the fuck up. Get your own and stop being jealous.

OP seems pretty socially inept as well. Some people have it better/easier than others, some hustle more. Its life.
Last edited by Blindmelon on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:None of your fucking business. Sack the fuck up. Get your own and stop being jealous.

+1,000,000. Be happy for him if its true. OP seems pretty socially inept as well. Some people have it better/easier than others, some hustle more. Its life.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Socially inept = talking nonstop about your callback to every single person in your class and bragging about it, even when the people you talked to have stopped responding and you know that everyone else is tense because exams are coming up.

Feeling insecure, but not wishing him ill (which I said in the OP) = natural.

I get the feeling that I'm not the socially inept one in this thread.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:21 pm

thesteelers wrote:Socially inept = talking nonstop about your callback to every single person in your class and bragging about it, even when the people you talked to have stopped responding and you know that everyone else is tense because exams are coming up.

oh u so mad. have fun striking out

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
thesteelers wrote:Socially inept = talking nonstop about your callback to every single person in your class and bragging about it, even when the people you talked to have stopped responding and you know that everyone else is tense because exams are coming up.

oh u so mad. [strike]have fun striking out[/strike]

I'm actually not.

Agsulliv

Postby Agsulliv » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:35 pm

I feel your pain, OP.

Obviously we should all try to focus on our own job searches, but comparing ourselves to one another is inevitable.

First semester 1L makes people feel insecure. Some people, like OP, find comfort in commiserating. It's nice to know other people are in the same boat.

Then there are people who deal with their insecurity by anonymously sending out hate on message boards.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Yup, you're right. I'd go with that person is lying. Either that, or he/she has a family-friend back home (typically parent is a lawyer and its one of their judge friends or friend with a small firm) who's letting them work for the summer. That is typical; however, I wouldn't go around shouting about it because we aren't technically allowed to contact anyone until the 1st and they can't write back until the 15th. Just saying.

Edit: Also, there's nothing wrong with the family connection approach. It has and will work well for many people for many years to come. I suppose I read into this post and thought *lying*, as we have had a couple silly people do similar things to try and assert their dominance over the rest of our section. Typically its funny and so unrealistic, I have to laugh to myself. Of course, can't do this to someone's face. I'd say if its true, fantastic for that person. I wouldn't get your panties in a bunch over it though because you still have time and likely that person is lying.
Last edited by alicrimson on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:47 pm

alicrimson wrote:

Yup, you're right. I'd go with that person is lying. Either that, or he/she has a family-friend back home (typically parent is a lawyer and its one of their judge friends or friend with a small firm) who's letting them work for the summer. That is typical; however, I wouldn't go around shouting about it because we aren't technically allowed to contact anyone until the 1st and they can't write back until the 15th. Just saying.

Not everyone is a NALP employer.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Agsulliv wrote:I feel your pain, OP.

Obviously we should all try to focus on our own job searches, but comparing ourselves to one another is inevitable.

First semester 1L makes people feel insecure. Some people, like OP, find comfort in commiserating. It's nice to know other people are in the same boat.

Then there are people who deal with their insecurity by anonymously sending out hate on message boards.

+1,000,000. Exactly, thank you! I'm obviously not losing focus on my own future plans or plotting to sabotage my classmate, but 1L year, and especially first semester, is a difficult period for everyone. And it doesn't end - this why few of the 2Ls or 3Ls know about each other's exact grades or class rank, and last year the 1Ls who got SA offers did not talk about it. Would their classmates have felt envious? Probably. But at least they wouldn't have come off as insensitive.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:52 pm

And socially adept = bitching, whining, and crying about it on the internet to strangers?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:54 pm

This dude is IP. IP firms don't care nearly as much about law school grades.

And have you ever talked to an IP lawyer? Social awkwardness doesn't hurt you in the IP scene. It might even help you bond with an IP interviewer. These are the geeks of the law firm world.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm

thesteelers wrote:
Agsulliv wrote:I feel your pain, OP.

+1,000,000. Exactly, thank you! I'm obviously not losing focus on my own future plans or plotting to sabotage my classmate, but 1L year, and especially first semester, is a difficult period for everyone. And it doesn't end - this why few of the 2Ls or 3Ls know about each other's exact grades or class rank, and last year the 1Ls who got SA offers did not talk about it. Would their classmates have felt envious? Probably. But at least they wouldn't have come off as insensitive.

You sound like a pussy.

You are displaying a massive bitch mentality. Listen to yourself, guy. "SOME GUY GOT A CALLBACK ALREADY AND HE'S TALKING ABOUT IT! HOW RUDE! IT IS HURTING MY FEELINGS AND MAKING ME INSECURE!"

This is big boy shit. People are spending $100k+ on a high stakes gamble that could result in a destroyed life. Get tough or get run over. There are no orange slices at halftime of this game.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:23 pm

Fuck him up.

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Don't be jelly bro.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Lol, I'm female. I just happen to be from Pittsburgh and I love the Steelers. Is that a guy-exclusive thing? ANYWAY, yes, I won't be a coward (and never intended to) and no more TLS panics.

I can't get over how everyone thought I was a guy.

biglaw$

Postby biglaw$ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:21 pm

BTW callback does not = job (especially ITE)

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:23 pm

thesteelers wrote:Lol, I'm female. I just happen to be from Pittsburgh and I love the Steelers. Is that a guy-exclusive thing? ANYWAY, yes, I won't be a coward (and never intended to) and no more TLS panics.

I can't get over how everyone thought I was a guy.

You can't get over a couple things. All of the negative responses are credited.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”