Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Extension_Cord » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Macys has a sale tomorrow store wide. They will be selling Calvin Klein suit jackets at Macys tomorrow for $350, buy 1 get 2 free. I was wondering if this was a good deal as I have never bought a suit and will definatly need one next semester. What three colours are recommended? Blue, black and tan?

Thanks for the help.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby ran12 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:04 am

Navy charcoal and a lighter gray would be the way to go. Tan is not really for law environments and also because of the type of color tan is, you can't really wear the suit that often. Easier to get away wearing a darker color with different shirts and ties.

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:07 am

ran12 wrote:Navy charcoal and a lighter gray would be the way to go. Tan is not really for law environments and also because of the type of color tan is, you can't really wear the suit that often. Easier to get away wearing a darker color with different shirts and ties.


Thanks! Is $350 good for three jackets? Any opinions on Calvin Klein for jackets?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
ran12 wrote:Navy charcoal and a lighter gray would be the way to go. Tan is not really for law environments and also because of the type of color tan is, you can't really wear the suit that often. Easier to get away wearing a darker color with different shirts and ties.


Thanks! Is $350 good for three jackets? Any opinions on Calvin Klein for jackets?


Thats a great deal for sure. Is that Macys wide? or just at a location near you? I have a tan calvin klein suit, I love it. Nicely tailored it looks great.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby cinephile » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:13 am

Extension_Cord wrote: buy 1 get 2 free.


If it's really buy 1 get 2 free, I'll be at Macy's tomorrow. If it's buy 2 get 1, probably not.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:16 am

Solid navy and solid dark grey only.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 am

Veyron wrote:Solid navy and solid dark grey only.


Credited. Black is for funerals.

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:23 am

Its only for the jacket, not the pants.

Its a national event, today was actually the "preview sale" which is basically the same sale as the actual sale day. My girlfriend bought me 8 dress shirts (John Ashford - $7.50 and Alfani - $12.50) and a pair of Puma shoes ($13) for a total of $76 after tax, discounts, and coupons. She had a 20% coupon for being a Macys CC holder. They actually have a 20% coupon online for tomorrow only but its only good until 1pm.

I normally stick with the Geoffrey Beane and Alfani shirts, but she bought me the John Ashford shirts for the first time and they were actually pretty nice. I was surprised as I always assumed they were lesser quality but they are on the same level as the Alfani shirts in my opinion. Im going back tomorrow to buy more of the John Ashford shirts just to stock up on because thats a great deal and white dress shirts especially dont last long.

I will have to be measured for the jacket, are Macys pretty reliable for that? I dont think it will be an issue because the salemen in that section are always the same and they have like 30 years experience between the two of them according to their name tags.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:31 am

Extension_Cord wrote:Its only for the jacket, not the pants.

Its a national event, today was actually the "preview sale" which is basically the same sale as the actual sale day. My girlfriend bought me 8 dress shirts (John Ashford - $7.50 and Alfani - $12.50) and a pair of Puma shoes ($13) for a total of $76 after tax, discounts, and coupons. She had a 20% coupon for being a Macys CC holder. They actually have a 20% coupon online for tomorrow only but its only good until 1pm.

I normally stick with the Geoffrey Beane and Alfani shirts, but she bought me the John Ashford shirts for the first time and they were actually pretty nice. I was surprised as I always assumed they were lesser quality but they are on the same level as the Alfani shirts in my opinion. Im going back tomorrow to buy more of the John Ashford shirts just to stock up on because thats a great deal and white dress shirts especially dont last long.

I will have to be measured for the jacket, are Macys pretty reliable for that? I dont think it will be an issue because the salemen in that section are always the same and they have like 30 years experience between the two of them according to their name tags.


Depends on who you get.. They got me one size off. PS, Alfani shirts are SPS. Buy some quality BB slim fit no irons. You'll pay more up front but they'll last for years and look a fuckton better.

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:33 am

Veyron wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Its only for the jacket, not the pants.

Its a national event, today was actually the "preview sale" which is basically the same sale as the actual sale day. My girlfriend bought me 8 dress shirts (John Ashford - $7.50 and Alfani - $12.50) and a pair of Puma shoes ($13) for a total of $76 after tax, discounts, and coupons. She had a 20% coupon for being a Macys CC holder. They actually have a 20% coupon online for tomorrow only but its only good until 1pm.

I normally stick with the Geoffrey Beane and Alfani shirts, but she bought me the John Ashford shirts for the first time and they were actually pretty nice. I was surprised as I always assumed they were lesser quality but they are on the same level as the Alfani shirts in my opinion. Im going back tomorrow to buy more of the John Ashford shirts just to stock up on because thats a great deal and white dress shirts especially dont last long.

I will have to be measured for the jacket, are Macys pretty reliable for that? I dont think it will be an issue because the salemen in that section are always the same and they have like 30 years experience between the two of them according to their name tags.


Depends on who you get. They got me one size off. PS, Alfani shirts are SPS.


I dont think they are great. I think Dillards has the nicest shirts in the mall. I think Alfani are sufficient and the price is good for what you get. I like the 60/40 poly/cotton because it doesnt get wrinkly and the material is thin.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Its only for the jacket, not the pants.

Its a national event, today was actually the "preview sale" which is basically the same sale as the actual sale day. My girlfriend bought me 8 dress shirts (John Ashford - $7.50 and Alfani - $12.50) and a pair of Puma shoes ($13) for a total of $76 after tax, discounts, and coupons. She had a 20% coupon for being a Macys CC holder. They actually have a 20% coupon online for tomorrow only but its only good until 1pm.

I normally stick with the Geoffrey Beane and Alfani shirts, but she bought me the John Ashford shirts for the first time and they were actually pretty nice. I was surprised as I always assumed they were lesser quality but they are on the same level as the Alfani shirts in my opinion. Im going back tomorrow to buy more of the John Ashford shirts just to stock up on because thats a great deal and white dress shirts especially dont last long.

I will have to be measured for the jacket, are Macys pretty reliable for that? I dont think it will be an issue because the salemen in that section are always the same and they have like 30 years experience between the two of them according to their name tags.


Depends on who you get. They got me one size off. PS, Alfani shirts are SPS.


I dont think they are great. I think Dillards has the nicest shirts in the mal. I think Alfani are sufficient and the price is good for what you get. I like the 60/40 poly/cotton because it doesnt get wrinkly and the material is thin.


OMG. Stop, just stop. Under now circumstances should you EVER EVER wear a polly-cotton blend EVER. You should be incarcerated for your own safety. If you want no-wrinkle, they make 100% cotton shirts that do that. I'm beginning to think that you should go to BB or somewhere where they're sure to know WTF they're doing before you thrown down 100s of dollars on a suit. /rant!

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:39 am

Veyron wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Its only for the jacket, not the pants.

Its a national event, today was actually the "preview sale" which is basically the same sale as the actual sale day. My girlfriend bought me 8 dress shirts (John Ashford - $7.50 and Alfani - $12.50) and a pair of Puma shoes ($13) for a total of $76 after tax, discounts, and coupons. She had a 20% coupon for being a Macys CC holder. They actually have a 20% coupon online for tomorrow only but its only good until 1pm.

I normally stick with the Geoffrey Beane and Alfani shirts, but she bought me the John Ashford shirts for the first time and they were actually pretty nice. I was surprised as I always assumed they were lesser quality but they are on the same level as the Alfani shirts in my opinion. Im going back tomorrow to buy more of the John Ashford shirts just to stock up on because thats a great deal and white dress shirts especially dont last long.

I will have to be measured for the jacket, are Macys pretty reliable for that? I dont think it will be an issue because the salemen in that section are always the same and they have like 30 years experience between the two of them according to their name tags.


Depends on who you get. They got me one size off. PS, Alfani shirts are SPS.


I dont think they are great. I think Dillards has the nicest shirts in the mal. I think Alfani are sufficient and the price is good for what you get. I like the 60/40 poly/cotton because it doesnt get wrinkly and the material is thin.


OMG. Stop, just stop. Under now circumstances should you EVER EVER wear a polly-cotton blend EVER. You should be incarcerated for your own safety. If you want no-wrinkle, they make 100% cotton shirts that do that. I'm beginning to think that you should go to BB or somewhere where they're sure to know WTF they're doing before you thrown down 100s of dollars on a suit. /rant!


IDK, BB site says their shirts are $78-88 a pop. I think Ill stick with the cheap shirts for now.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:42 am

[/quote]IDK, BB site says their shirts are $78-88 a pop. I think Ill stick with the cheap shirts for now.[/quote]

Just do semi-annual sale bro. Also, you can get 100% cotton non-iron shirts for way less than that, even at Macy's (although I'd go with Dillard's like you said).

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:47 am

Veyron wrote:Just do semi-annual sale bro. Also, you can get 100% cotton non-iron shirts for way less than that, even at Macy's (although I'd go with Dillard's like you said).


The semi-annual sale covers shirts, too? Looks like I'm going to be dropping a Hell of a lot at BB in a month or two.

BTW, I had to buy suits, shirts, etc. for college, because we were required to have formalwear for a lot of the mandatory stuff on campus. I go them at Macy's. 6 years later, I'm exactly the same size, but I'm slowly rebuying everything the proper way, because Macy's sold me stuff I really can't use for professional contexts. [Poly/cotton shirts, ventless suit jackets, etc.]
Last edited by mrloblaw on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:49 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:Just do semi-annual sale bro. Also, you can get 100% cotton non-iron shirts for way less than that, even at Macy's (although I'd go with Dillard's like you said).


The semi-annual sale covers shirts, too? Looks like I'm going to be dropping a Hell of a lot at BB in a month or two.


Indeed it does.

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:59 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:Just do semi-annual sale bro. Also, you can get 100% cotton non-iron shirts for way less than that, even at Macy's (although I'd go with Dillard's like you said).


The semi-annual sale covers shirts, too? Looks like I'm going to be dropping a Hell of a lot at BB in a month or two.

BTW, I had to buy suits, shirts, etc. for college, because we were required to have formalwear for a lot of the mandatory stuff on campus. I go them at Macy's. 6 years later, I'm exactly the same size, but I'm slowly rebuying everything the proper way, because Macy's sold me stuff I really can't use for professional contexts. [Poly/cotton shirts, ventless suit jackets, etc.]


How do you tell if the suit jacket is ventless?

Would I be better off waiting for a semi-annual sale at JaB or BB? They do the buy 1 get 2 free sales too right? Those are like $700 for 3 jackets and pants? Maybe I should wait and drop the money at them instead...

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby kaiser » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:01 am

Vents are the slits in the suit at the bottom of the back of the suit. You can clearly see if a suit is vented or not. And Jos. A. Bank does sales every other week pretty much, so you don't have to wait for any semi-annual thing for a good deal.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby kaiser » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 am

A bunch of my shirts are poly/cotton blend. No one cares or notices. Not sure why they would be a problem as long as its clean and pressed.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:Just do semi-annual sale bro. Also, you can get 100% cotton non-iron shirts for way less than that, even at Macy's (although I'd go with Dillard's like you said).


The semi-annual sale covers shirts, too? Looks like I'm going to be dropping a Hell of a lot at BB in a month or two.

BTW, I had to buy suits, shirts, etc. for college, because we were required to have formalwear for a lot of the mandatory stuff on campus. I go them at Macy's. 6 years later, I'm exactly the same size, but I'm slowly rebuying everything the proper way, because Macy's sold me stuff I really can't use for professional contexts. [Poly/cotton shirts, ventless suit jackets, etc.]


How do you tell if the suit jacket is ventless?

Would I be better off waiting for a semi-annual sale at JaB or BB? They do the buy 1 get 2 free sales too right? Those are like $700 for 3 jackets and pants? Maybe I should wait and drop the money at them instead...


I would recommend either of those places over Macys. BB does not do the buy 1 get 2 free sales but if you're a law student you only need one suit. JAB has sales pretty much every other week. Any suit that you get from them that is 100% wool should be adequate for law school, SA, junior associate purposes.


A bunch of my shirts are poly/cotton blend. No one cares or notices. Not sure why they would be a problem as long as its clean and pressed.


(1) You will sweat far more in a blended shirt
(2) The shirt will look like crap on you
(3) Lawyers are often pretty fashion aware and will notice. They want to hire people they can eventually put in front of clients. One partner remarked that my suit was pretty nice but I'd be better off going full custom (I didn't say they were in touch with economic reality!) Some won't care, but why take the chance?
(4) You can get 100% cotton for about the same price so why wouldn't you?
Last edited by Veyron on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:06 am

Veyron wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:Just do semi-annual sale bro. Also, you can get 100% cotton non-iron shirts for way less than that, even at Macy's (although I'd go with Dillard's like you said).


The semi-annual sale covers shirts, too? Looks like I'm going to be dropping a Hell of a lot at BB in a month or two.

BTW, I had to buy suits, shirts, etc. for college, because we were required to have formalwear for a lot of the mandatory stuff on campus. I go them at Macy's. 6 years later, I'm exactly the same size, but I'm slowly rebuying everything the proper way, because Macy's sold me stuff I really can't use for professional contexts. [Poly/cotton shirts, ventless suit jackets, etc.]


How do you tell if the suit jacket is ventless?

Would I be better off waiting for a semi-annual sale at JaB or BB? They do the buy 1 get 2 free sales too right? Those are like $700 for 3 jackets and pants? Maybe I should wait and drop the money at them instead...


I would recommend either of those places over Macys. BB does not do the buy 1 get 2 free sales but if you're a law student you only need one suit. JAB has sales pretty much every other week. Any suit that you get from them that is 100% wool should be adequate for law school, SA, junior associate purposes.


So for suits, stick with wool? what materials should we avoid?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:07 am

[/quote]So for suits, stick with wool? what materials should we avoid?[/quote]

Any material that is not wool, any suit that contains even 1% not wool.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby HBK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:07 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:Just do semi-annual sale bro. Also, you can get 100% cotton non-iron shirts for way less than that, even at Macy's (although I'd go with Dillard's like you said).


The semi-annual sale covers shirts, too? Looks like I'm going to be dropping a Hell of a lot at BB in a month or two.

BTW, I had to buy suits, shirts, etc. for college, because we were required to have formalwear for a lot of the mandatory stuff on campus. I go them at Macy's. 6 years later, I'm exactly the same size, but I'm slowly rebuying everything the proper way, because Macy's sold me stuff I really can't use for professional contexts. [Poly/cotton shirts, ventless suit jackets, etc.]


How do you tell if the suit jacket is ventless?

Would I be better off waiting for a semi-annual sale at JaB or BB? They do the buy 1 get 2 free sales too right? Those are like $700 for 3 jackets and pants? Maybe I should wait and drop the money at them instead...


Ventless = no cut in the back or sides of the jacket.
Center vent- split in the back
Side vent= splits in the sides.

Jos A. Bank is TCR. And they have sales literally everyday. You just have to wait for the good ones.

kaiser wrote:A bunch of my shirts are poly/cotton blend. No one cares or notices. Not sure why they would be a problem as long as its clean and pressed.


Yes they do and yes they do. When you wear dress clothes all the time you can spot cheap looking shirts.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby kaiser » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 am

Now that I look at my shirts, I guess all my nicest ones are my 100% cotton Jos. A Bank shirts I really like. I never thought the blended shirts look like crap though. They always seem to look fine. How exactly can you spot the difference? You say that people can have a sharp eye for this, so what exactly are they looking for?
Last edited by kaiser on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby top30man » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 am

HBK wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
Veyron wrote:Just do semi-annual sale bro. Also, you can get 100% cotton non-iron shirts for way less than that, even at Macy's (although I'd go with Dillard's like you said).


The semi-annual sale covers shirts, too? Looks like I'm going to be dropping a Hell of a lot at BB in a month or two.

BTW, I had to buy suits, shirts, etc. for college, because we were required to have formalwear for a lot of the mandatory stuff on campus. I go them at Macy's. 6 years later, I'm exactly the same size, but I'm slowly rebuying everything the proper way, because Macy's sold me stuff I really can't use for professional contexts. [Poly/cotton shirts, ventless suit jackets, etc.]


How do you tell if the suit jacket is ventless?

Would I be better off waiting for a semi-annual sale at JaB or BB? They do the buy 1 get 2 free sales too right? Those are like $700 for 3 jackets and pants? Maybe I should wait and drop the money at them instead...


Ventless = no cut in the back or sides of the jacket.
Center vent- split in the back
Side vent= splits in the sides.

Jos A. Bank is TCR. And they have sales literally everyday. You just have to wait for the good ones.

kaiser wrote:A bunch of my shirts are poly/cotton blend. No one cares or notices. Not sure why they would be a problem as long as its clean and pressed.


Yes they do and yes they do. When you wear dress clothes all the time you can spot cheap looking shirts.

+1 to Jos A. Bank. I love BB but the crazy JAB sales beat the crazy BB sales.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Calvin Klein Suit Jackets at Macys

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:13 am

kaiser wrote:Now that I look at my shirts, I guess all my nicest ones are my 100% cotton Jos. A Bank shirts I really like. I never thought the blended shirts look like crap though. They always seem to look fine. How exactly can you spot the difference? You say that people can have a sharp eye for this, so what exactly are they looking for?


Artificial materials shimmer/shine/reflect light differently is the best way I can put it. You can just tell.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rockosmodernlife, splitterfromhell and 12 guests