Competition relative to ranking

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SwampRat88

Competition relative to ranking

Postby SwampRat88 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:41 pm

Last edited by SwampRat88 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Re: Competition relative to ranking

Postby adonai » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:44 pm

SwampRat88 wrote:1L at a low-end T2. I chose to attend this school over several in the T20 to T30 because of 1/3 scholarship and family considerations.

Two weeks to go until finals and almost everyone still keeps up on reading. Everyone reads supplements. Everyone does practice tests. Everyone is at least moderately intelligent, with a few exceptions. Everyone seems to be working hard. Everyone knows what is at stake. Out of a section of 60-something students, I can probably count 5-10 "slackers," TOPS.

Is the competition this fierce at the higher ranked higher ranked schools, or less because the chances of jobs are presumably greater?

Or is the class of 2014 just hard-working in general because we're the first class truly tuned into the shitty law market?

Jesus.

Exact same here. I genuinely believe it is cause of the bolded. Everyone knows what to do, and how a law exam works. It is a lot worse here because our school basically babies you from day one on how to take a law school exam (for bar passage purposes), and profs actually teach you how to do one.
Last edited by adonai on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm probably the biggest slacker in my section, but my school seems to have a lot of hardworkers...

SwampRat88

Postby SwampRat88 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:56 pm

adonai wrote:
SwampRat88 wrote:1L at a low-end T2. I chose to attend this school over several in the T20 to T30 because of 1/3 scholarship and family considerations.

Two weeks to go until finals and almost everyone still keeps up on reading. Everyone reads supplements. Everyone does practice tests. Everyone is at least moderately intelligent, with a few exceptions. Everyone seems to be working hard. Everyone knows what is at stake. Out of a section of 60-something students, I can probably count 5-10 "slackers," TOPS.

Is the competition this fierce at the higher ranked higher ranked schools, or less because the chances of jobs are presumably greater?

Or is the class of 2014 just hard-working in general because we're the first class truly tuned into the shitty law market?

Jesus.

Exact same here at my TTT. I genuinely believe it is cause of the bolded. Everyone knows what to do, and how a law exam works. It is a lot worse here because our school basically babies you from day one on how to take a law school exam, and profs actually teach you how to do one.

Last edited by SwampRat88 on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:24 am

SwampRat88 wrote:
adonai wrote:

Jesus.

Exact same here at my TTT. I genuinely believe it is cause of the bolded. Everyone knows what to do, and how a law exam works. It is a lot worse here because our school basically babies you from day one on how to take a law school exam, and profs actually teach you how to do one.

I really didn't expect it to be this intense, especially coming in with a higher GPA and LSAT. But everyone understands how ***ed they are if they don't get at least above median, and it truly creates a sickening atmosphere.

Edit: I knew something was up during the first week of class when I noticed everyone had organized their notes via "OneNote" according to Arrow's method.

Makes me really envious of my S/O who is a first-year med student out partying tonight after a non-curved exam she rocked...

I think the general rule of thumb is that it gets more competitive the lower you go down in the ranks. Not saying high ranked schools are not competitive, but I think the perspective is different. I'd imagine that students up there tend to compete for pride. Down here, it is more a competition of brute survival.

You think using OneNote shows something is up? Try seeing people reading supplements and Getting to Maybe at your orientation. Upperclassmen here can't stop commenting as to how competitive 1Ls are this year.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:27 am

johansantana21 wrote:I'm probably the biggest slacker in my section, but my school seems to have a lot of hardworkers...

Ill +1 this. But guys, its law school. Did you expect people to come in hungover on tuesdays. Of course people are trying. They are there because they have tried.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:30 am

bport hopeful wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:I'm probably the biggest slacker in my section, but my school seems to have a lot of hardworkers...

Ill +1 this. But guys, its law school. Did you expect people to come in hungover on tuesdays. Of course people are trying. They are there because they have tried.

pretty common at uva. I agree that competition is probably more cutthroat at the T30 range.

SwampRat88

Postby SwampRat88 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 am

bport hopeful wrote:

I certainly didn't try in undergrad. And from most of what my 1L class has said, it doesn't seem like many of them did either...

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:51 am

SwampRat88 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

I certainly didn't try in undergrad. And from most of what my 1L class has said, it doesn't seem like many of them did either...

I didnt try too hard in UG at all, and I dont think many kids in my class were school freaks or anything, but they are all smart kids with at least some work ethic.

I figure to have above a 3.0 you have to do some kind of work in UG.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:00 am

bport hopeful wrote:
SwampRat88 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

I didnt try too hard in UG at all, and I dont think many kids in my class were school freaks or anything, but they are all smart kids with at least some work ethic.

I figure to have above a 3.0 you have to do some kind of work in UG.

Not as an English major. I speak from experience.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:03 am

I'm at a T1 and it's also fierce. Everyone is doing moot court and mock trial, too. And networking like crazy at all of the events. All of the administrators think our class is crazy.

SwampRat88

Postby SwampRat88 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 am

shock259 wrote:I'm at a T1 and it's also fierce. Everyone is doing moot court and mock trial, too. And networking like crazy at all of the events. All of the administrators think our class is crazy.

We live in desperate times.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:10 am

maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I don't see a lot of competition at my school, a t10. Just a steady stream of work out of everyone, but no insanity. The girl in front of me in class shops for lipstick online for two hours straight. I would totally buy that the lower the school, the higher the stakes, the more crazy.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:16 am

5ky wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

pretty common at uva. I agree that competition is probably more cutthroat at the T30 range.

At least in my section, once November rolled around it started to heat up pretty quickly. Once it got to finals week...I have never seen such a disheveled group of people.

Antilles Haven

Postby Antilles Haven » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:18 am

SwampRat88 wrote:Or is the class of 2014 just hard-working in general because we're the first class truly tuned into the shitty law market?

You aren't. HTH.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:40 am

Antilles Haven wrote:
SwampRat88 wrote:Or is the class of 2014 just hard-working in general because we're the first class truly tuned into the shitty law market?

You aren't. HTH.

Credited - that's a pretty ridiculous statement.

If it's any consolation, how hard people are working will not directly translate to who does well. Expect to see kids who didn't work themselves to death around the top of the class simply because they "got it."

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:49 am

Antilles Haven wrote:

You aren't. HTH.

This.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 am

3L advice: hard work (e.g. using like 2 supplements for each class) does not always = good grades. After 1L, people often realize this and chill the fck out. The curve has its way of humbling people.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:3L advice: hard work (e.g. using like 2 supplements for each class) does not always = good grades. After 1L, people often realize this and chill the fck out. The curve has its way of humbling people.

People care about grades after 1L?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:The curve has its way of humbling people.

Yep. Just got my contracts midterm back. Never been so happy to get a B+ in my life.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 pm

In a mid T2 and it seems to be a bell-curve of hardworking too. Most people do a "reasonable" amount of work with it tapering off at the other ends with a few people doing tons of work and a few doing next to none. Just my view on it.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 pm

i'm at a t-20 and i thought law school would be WAY more intense.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”