Bluebook Help Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschoolproblems86

New

Bluebook Help

Post by lawschoolproblems86 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:46 pm

I've found three different sections in the Bluebook where it states how you cite an unpublished case from Lexis or Westlaw. However, does anybody know where I can find information on how you would do a short abbreviated cite or Id. on an unpublished case after the first time. I am pretty sure I will get marked down if I use the full cite every time I reference that case, but I am unable to find how it would be shortened for any future references in the paper.

THANKS.

drmguy

Silver

Re: Bluebook Help

Post by drmguy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm

It's my understanding that you should not use an unpublished case.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:08 pm

i found it and you should be able to.

a part of the paper is bluebooking so keep trying hard and stop cheating!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:13 pm

drmguy wrote:It's my understanding that you should not use an unpublished case.
This is not correct. Unpublished cases are commonly cited. To answer the OP, it's as follows:

First cite: Steyne v. Steyne (In re Steyne), Nos. CIV. A. 97–07304–W, 97–80348–W, 1998 WL 34020729, at *3 (Bankr. D.S.C. Feb. 17, 1998).

Short cite: Steyne, 1998 WL 34020729, at *4.

Id. cite: Id. at *5.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:40 pm

It's my understanding that if you ever need to cite a recent development, you have no choice. Or issues that don't come up in final published orders. (e.g. Denial of discovery order, etc.) You should use published if available and on same topic, but citing unpublished isn't a problem.

Also, Bronte's examples are correct. Except I'd omit the (In re) part off the top of my head. Though that may be incorrect. (Actially, in bankruptcy wouldn't it just be In re name?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Norwood wrote:i found it and you should be able to.

a part of the paper is bluebooking so keep trying hard and stop cheating!
maybe they're doing a cite check and not a paper...?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:46 pm

blowhard wrote:
It's my understanding that if you ever need to cite a recent development, you have no choice. Or issues that don't come up in final published orders. (e.g. Denial of discovery order, etc.) You should use published if available and on same topic, but citing unpublished isn't a problem.

Also, Bronte's examples are correct. Except I'd omit the (In re) part off the top of my head. Though that may be incorrect. (Actially, in bankruptcy wouldn't it just be In re name?)
No "In re" is included. It's rule 10.2.1(a).

Edit:
blowhard wrote:(Actially, in bankruptcy wouldn't it just be In re name?)
It depends on whether it's an adversary proceeding or not. The case I cited was an adversary proceeding, which is a civil suit filed in a bankruptcy case. If the opinion concerns only the bankruptcy petition itself, it will just be In re Whatever.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:22 pm

blowhard wrote:

This was my understanding. Only do it when necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”