3L Law Review Positions Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Run for position?

Editor in Chief
38%
Managing Editor
6%
Articles Editor
6%
Notes Editor
No votes
Don't run, not needed
50%

Total votes: 16

crazyeddie

New

3L Law Review Positions

Post by crazyeddie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Last edited by crazyeddie on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spondee

Bronze

Re: 3L Law Review Positions

Post by spondee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Depends on what you want to do and on your other credentials...

crazyeddie

New

Post by crazyeddie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 pm

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Probably not worth it then. Doubt firms care at all.

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:55 pm

crazyeddie wrote:If I get an offer from the firm I SA at, I will probably just take it. Don't think I'm looking for a clerkship. But I don't want to piss off the firm by not doing it.
It's unlikely your firm will get 'pissed off' because you didn't run for a position. Getting an executive position is difficult and I am sure your firm won't fault you for not getting one. Even if you don't get any editorial position at all, it's really being on the review this is more prestigious than holding any particular position (albeit getting EIC is likely something that will distinguish you down the road). I doubt you'll fail to get ANY position though, if you want one, as there are tons of editorial positions on most law reviews and they need people to fill them.

Substantively, the positions really aren't going to 'prepare' you for any work you'll do in the real world, besides the fact that you'll get used to editing documents thoroughly and ensuring your propositions of law are supported by case law. I would argue that the most useful position you can take is research editor, only because it helps to familiarize you with Westlaw and searching for obscure cases. Managing is also useful in that it gives you experience rephrasing ideas and logically organizing arguments. I don't think any of the other positions really give you much substantive practice doing anything you'll be doing once you start your career.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazyeddie

New

Post by crazyeddie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:02 pm

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Think it would still depend a lot on the rest of your credentials. If you're at a lower-ranked school and need your resume to say, "I'm one of, if not the, best student in my class," then, yeah, much more important to run; but if you're at a top-ten school with great grades, it's still not that important.

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:09 pm

crazyeddie wrote:Thanks. So, just to be clear, if I did want a clerkship ... this would become much more important? Even if I only ran for Articles Editor?
One person I know who held an executive editorial position told me that it came up in various clerkship interviews and impressed some judges, but I don't know if that is a rule. From what I've seen on TLS, anything you can do to distinguish yourself in the clerkship application process is worth it, since applications are so voluminous and candidates are so fungible.

I think, at best, it would be a talking point during interviews. But I am not familiar with the application process other than what I have heard on TLS and from friends, so I am not by any means an authority.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”