Dropbox - LOLWUT?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bk1

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:18 am

ResolutePear wrote:Dropbox has been pretty damn reliable for me. I've heard good things of Google Drive.

I have no complaints for Dropbox. Google Drive is just more convenient since I can edit things in the browser.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:13 am

google drive is cool if you want your documents to be used for google's data collection purposes/advertisers.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 am

laxbrah420 wrote:google drive is cool if you want your documents to be used for google's data collection purposes/advertisers.

Google already knows so much about me that this is a moot point. I suspect most people who say things like this already give out enough information that being paranoid about certain things is pointless.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 am

bk1 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:google drive is cool if you want your documents to be used for google's data collection purposes/advertisers.

Google already knows so much about me that this is a moot point. I suspect most people who say things like this already give out enough information that being paranoid about certain things is pointless.

i'm not sure this is a real fear, anyway. sounds like unified privacy policy FUD to me.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:38 pm

What's the difference w SugarSynch and Box? Do they all do the same stuff?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 pm

I LOVE Dropbox. It has saved my butt on numerous occasions, both Law School-related and professionally.
It's all I use because it works and it has never failed me.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Redamon1 wrote:What's the difference w SugarSynch and Box? Do they all do the same stuff?

In the past, both have been less reliable and less compatible.

Dropbox is compatible with pretty much everything on the market and works as efficient as it can within the parameters of the device.

For those wondering, the tools to setup a dropbox-clone are available for free. What you're really paying for is the space, availability, security, and compatibility through the apps that dropbox wrote to streamline the process.

There's also customer support, but it just works.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:38 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I LOVE Dropbox. It has saved my butt on numerous occasions, both Law School-related and professionally.
It's all I use because it works and it has never failed me.

Same. I don't write anything without first saving directly to the appropriate dropbox folder.

cedarseoul

Postby cedarseoul » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:18 pm

I was totally hooked on Dropbox, and I still use it--but I have switched to Google Drive for most of my file storage. It has the same live-sync and local storage benefits of Dropbox. 5 free gigs instead of 2. And I can access the files through my Gmail/G+ homescreen, rather than logging in to a separate website.

Also, I've used Google Docs for collaborative purposes for years, and it just makes sense to bring it all together on one dashboard.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:25 am

Bumping this since a law student I know almost lost a lot of his work.

Had to pay me a crapload of money to make love to his crashed HDD in an effort to get data back.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:32 am

GoogleDrive tho.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:48 am

CounselorNebby wrote:GoogleDrive tho.

Cool story bro.

Dropbox is still my recommendation.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:08 am

Great post - I use the heck out of Dropbox too.

You might want to update the part of the OP that talks about using the Dropbox "Public" folder for picwhoring and similar uses. New accounts created in the last eighteen months or so no longer get a "Public" folder by default.

You can still create a folder and share a link with the world, so no functionality's been lost - I just didn't want a new user to wonder where their "Public" folder was.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:50 am

Since this has been bumped, I'll throw in my $0.02: I use dropbox for my own files, but the choice of it over google drive is mere legacy. I've been using DB since long before google converted Docs to Drive.

The benefit of Google Docs/Drive: 1L year we had a very good small study group that outlined together. A couple weeks in we moved all our outlines to Drive so that we weren't having to duplicate work and we were able to fill in holes for each other. You can all work on them at the same time too. I still use it when a class throws a group project my way.

Mr.Throwback

Postby Mr.Throwback » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Did not read entire thread but here to say dropbox is a must for law students.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:02 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
CounselorNebby wrote:GoogleDrive tho.

Cool story bro.

Dropbox is still my recommendation.

I'm with Pear on this. I've used Dropbox both for lawl skool stuff and in my professional life - I need a secure way of transferring large audio files to people who may not be uber tech-savvy - and it has never let me down. I used GoogleDrive for sharing work with other students during school (as BVest did), but that's about as far as I'll use it. Unfounded suspicion about Google's security? Perhaps. Also sticking with what has proven to work.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:39 pm

It still amazes me how often I'd hear another law student had lost an entire day's worth of work on the brief (she'd been emailing it to herself at the end of each day, but had been working for about 8 hours on it the day her computer died), all their notes and outlines just before finals (didn't even start backing up after getting several blue-screens-of-death), or other such loss.

My other bit of advice along these lines is go into word preferences and make a few changes.

1) Change the autosave from the default (I think it's 10 minutes) to 1 minute.
2) Go into Autocorrect and enter the following (Unrelated, but if you're thinking about Word setup anyway, you might as well do this at the same time):
ppp = ¶
pppp = ¶¶
sss = §
ssss = §§

It makes things fast when you're taking notes and if you always use the § symbol in classes where you have a statutory supplement, it's easy to do a ctrl-f for "§" later to find all the statutory sections that you talked about in class the entire semester when you're preparing for the exam. And the ¶ you'll be happy about come brief time when you have to refer to the court record.

Gefuehlsecht

Postby Gefuehlsecht » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:48 pm

BVest wrote:2) Go into Autocorrect and enter the following (Unrelated, but if you're thinking about Word setup anyway, you might as well do this at the same time):
ppp = ¶
pppp = ¶¶
sss = §
ssss = §§

You just made an old man very happy, son. Thanks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Gefuehlsecht wrote:
BVest wrote:2) Go into Autocorrect and enter the following (Unrelated, but if you're thinking about Word setup anyway, you might as well do this at the same time):
ppp = ¶
pppp = ¶¶
sss = §
ssss = §§

I have similar ones set up, but mine are !s for §, !p for ¶, etc.

I also have my local Dropbox folder inside my local OneDrive folder, so they're backing up each other in two separate clouds and I have more seamless access to the stuff on my Surface (which works best with OneDrive).

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:16 am

It's that time again.

Don't get stuck with your casebooks tucked between your legs.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:35 am

Gefuehlsecht wrote:
ppp = ¶
pppp = ¶¶
sss = §
ssss = §§

Mac people: type Option + 6 or Option + 7. Done. Just saying.

BVest

Postby BVest » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:41 am

Redamon1 wrote:
Gefuehlsecht wrote:
ppp = ¶
pppp = ¶¶
sss = §
ssss = §§

While entirely true, the option key doesn't really work for me in touch typing. The ctrl for me on a PC I can hit with my pinkie easily, and the command key on the mac I can hit with my thumb crossing under my palm. But I have to go searching for option, and that breaks my stride.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:41 am

BVest wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:
Gefuehlsecht wrote:
ppp = ¶
pppp = ¶¶
sss = §
ssss = §§

While entirely true, the option key doesn't really work for me in touch typing. The ctrl for me on a PC I can hit with my pinkie easily, and the command key on the mac I can hit with my thumb crossing under my palm. But I have to go searching for option, and that breaks my stride.

Cross that thumb just a bit further. I do it all the time; works pretty well. Like this. §¶. :)

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Personally, I used and still use, OneDrive by Microsoft. Sure it works like all the others, but being that I primarily use Microsoft Products anyway, everything is compatible. I sync my OneNote with folders hosted on OneDrive so that I'm never too far away from my content and its ALWAYS backed up.

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:04 pm

My notes back up automatically. Thanks cloud!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”