Dropbox - LOLWUT?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Image

What is Dropbox?

It’s a tool for synchronizing your data (documents, pictures, music, etc.) into one place that is accessible from anywhere you have internet access. It also allows for the recovery of previous document versions.

Why should I use this?

It helps keep all your data in one place no matter if you’re on your computer, your laptop, or your smart-phone. The last thing you want to do is go back home to print out a reports and game tickets when you have printers on campus or at work and as long as you save your files into your dropbox folder, it’s completely transparent.
Perhaps you overwrote that file you’ve been working on with something and saved over it. Now you’re fucked. Not if you’re using Dropbox! Dropbox lets you revert the file back to a previous save. No hassles. Same goes for pictures, music, just about anything.

Wait, wait, wait… How much is this?
You get 2GB for free. There are other plans which you may pay per year, but if you're saving documents you would have to try very hard to pass that limit. The 50GB plan is 10USD/month while the 100GB plan is 20USD/month. There are no “extra” features, just more space. Now, you'll get double-space if you register with a .edu email, even off referrals. You can increase your free limit to 16GB.

Soooo… how does this help me on TLS?
Well, since you people like to post pictures but don’t want them to be public for *too* long, Dropbox gives you a powerful feature: a public folder. Put a file in this folder and you’ll get a URL that links back to your picture. No need to keep your computer(s) on either – it’s uploaded automagically to the Dropbox server and when you no longer want the file shown, just delete the file on any computer/phone and it’ll delete it from the server, making the file no longer accessible.

tl;dr - If you ever fuck up with your files, this will probably save your ass.

Get Dropbox.

And as a matter of fair disclosure, if you use my link to create your account, then I get more space permanently added to my account for free. If you are indifferent to my self-serving, then by all means, continue. (Mods made me put this here.)

As an afterthought: It is pretty secure; if you need NSA-level encryption, you can mount an encrypted drive within Dropbox though it might limit compatibility with mobile devices and Dropbox-compatible toasters. It's free with available tools. I'll post a how-to if there's enough interest.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby zomginternets » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Shameless self-serving plug.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:11 pm

zomginternets wrote:Shameless self-serving plug.


Nothing is free in this world.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby Bronte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:13 pm

Your post probably qualifies as spam, but I love Dropbox.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Bronte wrote:Your post probably qualifies as spam, but I love Dropbox.


It's more of a PSA.

ETA: I do one of these every year or so on the forums I frequent when I hear people complain about their computer shitting out on them the night before their paper that's on that particular is due.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby Bronte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:18 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Bronte wrote:Your post probably qualifies as spam, but I love Dropbox.


It's more of a PSA.

ETA: I do one of these every year or so on the forums I frequent when I hear people complain about their computer shitting out on them the night before their paper that's on that particular is due.


It's a great resource. I have the Android app, and it's changed my life. I have all my course syllabuses on there. I can look up my reading wherever I am, which is usually half asleep on the couch. It's great.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Yeah. Shameless self-interested spam, but Dropbox does rock hard enough to justify it.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Bronte wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Bronte wrote:Your post probably qualifies as spam, but I love Dropbox.


It's more of a PSA.

ETA: I do one of these every year or so on the forums I frequent when I hear people complain about their computer shitting out on them the night before their paper that's on that particular is due.


It's a great resource. I have the Android app, and it's changed my life. I have all my course syllabuses on there. I can look up my reading wherever I am, which is usually half asleep on the couch. It's great.


I'll agree. I've also seen professors use them to hand out supplemental information instantly while in class. It just works.

User avatar
lrslayer
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby lrslayer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Just wondering what the advantages are of Dropbox over Evernote? Thanks.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:35 pm

lrslayer wrote:Just wondering what the advantages are of Dropbox over Evernote? Thanks.


Dropbox stores anything you can save on your harddrive. It's an actual folder in your computer. You can save anything from pictures to music files, to spreadsheets and documents. Oh, and you can also access it via a web browser.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Is there a way to sync to Dropbox without dragging my LS stuff into the Dropbox folder. Not a big deal, but it's annoying to have to do documents -LS -dropbox -class folder now.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 pm

done. Thanks pear. Now my computer-retarded self needs to figure out how to use it.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:44 pm

beach_terror wrote:Is there a way to sync to Dropbox without dragging my LS stuff into the Dropbox folder. Not a big deal, but it's annoying to have to do documents -LS -dropbox -class folder now.


When you do your setup, you can make your LS folder the sync folder, but that would wrap everything together. I would just make the 1-time move and not worry about it again.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby Bronte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:46 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Is there a way to sync to Dropbox without dragging my LS stuff into the Dropbox folder. Not a big deal, but it's annoying to have to do documents -LS -dropbox -class folder now.


When you do your setup, you can make your LS folder the sync folder, but that would wrap everything together. I would just make the 1-time move and not worry about it again.


Yeah I just use my Dropbox folder as my main "serious" documents folder. If all you have in there is text files, 2GBs is plenty of space.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Let me preface by saying that I'm computer illiterate.
Is there a way to keep my docs in their original place and copy into dropbox, or do I have to move them their completely?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby Bronte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:47 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Let me preface by saying that I'm computer illiterate.
Is there a way to keep my docs in their original place and copy into dropbox, or do I have to move them their completely?


They're still on your hard drive.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Bronte wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Let me preface by saying that I'm computer illiterate.
Is there a way to keep my docs in their original place and copy into dropbox, or do I have to move them their completely?


They're still on your hard drive.

why is documents empty?

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:49 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Let me preface by saying that I'm computer illiterate.
Is there a way to keep my docs in their original place and copy into dropbox, or do I have to move them their completely?


Assuming that you're using Windows:

You can copy and paste the files, keeping the files in their original location and making a copy in your dropbox.

You can just move them, and start using your Dropbox as your documents folder. Would be a lot more secure since you won't forget to copy your files and thus defeating the purpose of having Dropbox.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:50 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Let me preface by saying that I'm computer illiterate.
Is there a way to keep my docs in their original place and copy into dropbox, or do I have to move them their completely?


Assuming that you're using Windows:

You can copy and paste the files, keeping the files in their original location and making a copy in your dropbox.

You can just move them, and start using your Dropbox as your documents folder. Would be a lot more secure since you won't forget to copy your files and thus defeating the purpose of having Dropbox.

cool, thanks dude

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby zeth006 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:34 pm

The "spammy" nature of the OP is justified as I've come across a couple people who've lost all their notes due to bad HDDs. Dropbox also saved my life last year.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:15 pm

zeth006 wrote:The "spammy" nature of the OP is justified as I've come across a couple people who've lost all their notes due to bad HDDs. Dropbox also saved my life last year.


Yeah, it's such a great tool. Especially in professions that require instant access to documents.

I used to have shared dropboxes for people I exchange documents with back and forth. That, and the public folder feature are the two best features IMO after the nice backups it does.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 am

Also, for OneNote users, you can use the Dropbox folder as the place to store notebooks. Automatically syncs across multiple computers.

Dman
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:28 am

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby Dman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:31 am

kalvano wrote:Also, for OneNote users, you can use the Dropbox folder as the place to store notebooks. Automatically syncs across multiple computers.


I do this very thing. Every once in a while it does get confused and creates a backup of the notebook. still totally worth it and a great service.

ohhi
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ohhi » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:50 pm

An automatic backup solution is probably much preferred.

FYI, Mozy online backup is free for 2 gigs and will automatically back up any folders you tell it to as often as every 2 hours. It also stores old copies of stuff some months back. I have it automatically backup my entire documents folder, and the most I will ever lose is 2 hours worth of work if something were to happen.

User avatar
ggibelli
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Dropbox - LOLWUT?

Postby ggibelli » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:51 pm

sounds awful. /self




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests