2L exam prep thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:50 pm

That's my plan now. Our exam program lists the number of words at the top of the printout.

The guy with the take-home exam this semester is, in my experience, not a terrible person (not that those other profs were either, I should have found out about their policy beforehand) and in general as concrete as law profs get so hopefully he'll just straight up say it. If not, I'm definitely asking...

Speaking of, anyone have a decent bankruptcy outline that includes the 2005 amendments? No one in my class has found one and I've googled and not gotten anything decent, so I'm leaning pretty hard on the E&E.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 am

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Wed May 29, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby wiseowl » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 am

beach_terror wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Admin was fucking brutal. Studied my ass off for it though. One more until freedom.


I find that I actually enjoy the knowledge I gained from that class. I am, however, intensely regretful for having taken it this semester.

It was a really interesting class, and the knowledge seems much more useful than a lot of other classes (especially for someone like me, who wants to go into heavily regulated area of law). My teacher's exam is ridiculous though. 40% of our exam was 25 random statements or quotations that we had to identify the author of or explain the significance of. Examples from 2010:

A random quote from a 40 page excerpt from a Kagan article about Presidential involvement in regulations.

"Please name the case in which the Supreme Court first stated that the APA was a 'new, basic and comprehensive regulation of procedures of many agencies.'"

lolwhat


Was it open book - open note?

Shit like this is why I neurotically copy and paste the full text of each and every case we read all semester into my OneNote. Has bailed my ass out on a number of occasions, including in my Admin class last year on a similar basis.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:17 pm

I have never had a book that wasn't at least open-book and notes. Many if not most of my exams have also been open internet. I love my school.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Anyone have any resources for a Legislation class? Mine wasn't so much statutory interpretation so much as it was the political process. Any sample questions or anything would be awesome. Or some sample multiple choice evidence ?'s.

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby hawkeye22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Useful: --LinkRemoved-- ... -professor

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:16 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:Useful: --LinkRemoved-- ... -professor

Dead link.

User avatar
Antilles Haven
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Antilles Haven » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:20 pm

1. Got ahead about 2 weeks ago
2. Decided to take it easy because I was ahead for the first time ever
3. Now I'm really far behind, and don't remember anything I've outlined.

User avatar
lightsandbuzz
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby lightsandbuzz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:42 pm

I have an exam tomorrow for a class I'm taking pass/fail. The class is about 15-20 people, our curve is a B+, and I need at least a C to get a 'Pass.' Assuming I don't answer every question telling the professor how horrible of a teacher/person he is, the odds are in my favor (lolz hunger games) to pass...right?

I'm looking for validation that my time right now is better spent studying for a final that DOES matter and on a topic about which I actually care.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11719
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Evidence cannot possibly be as easy as I think it is.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Kal I bought that Beerman Inside Admin Law supplement you recommended. If I don't get a B+ I'm gonna be maddd

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11719
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:Kal I bought that Beerman Inside Admin Law supplement you recommended. If I don't get a B+ I'm gonna be maddd


It got me an A on an exam that people literally cried at when they saw it.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Doritos » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:59 pm

First exam in like 10 days. Spent the entire day drinking and playing video games. I don't know if I could care less than I do right now.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:02 pm

kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Kal I bought that Beerman Inside Admin Law supplement you recommended. If I don't get a B+ I'm gonna be maddd


It got me an A on an exam that people literally cried at when they saw it.

I don't think anyone knows what's going on in my class, so that's what I like to hear.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Kal I bought that Beerman Inside Admin Law supplement you recommended. If I don't get a B+ I'm gonna be maddd


It got me an A on an exam that people literally cried at when they saw it.

I don't think anyone knows what's going on in my class, so that's what I like to hear.


bought it on kalvano's recommendation, as well. it is literally under my nose as we speak while i finish up my outline, the book is great. kudos to kalvano for the rec.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11719
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:12 pm

I've also got the Inside Con Law, and it's just as helpful. It's not Chemerinsky, but it's also a quarter the size and great for review. I think that series is just going to be my default series going forward.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:14 pm

traehekat wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
kalvano wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Kal I bought that Beerman Inside Admin Law supplement you recommended. If I don't get a B+ I'm gonna be maddd


It got me an A on an exam that people literally cried at when they saw it.

I don't think anyone knows what's going on in my class, so that's what I like to hear.


bought it on kalvano's recommendation, as well. it is literally under my nose as we speak while i finish up my outline, the book is great. kudos to kalvano for the rec.

So far I've only used the book for timing and standing, and it explained that in a way that was a lot clearer in my teacher.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Admin sounds like the most horrible thing ever.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby de5igual » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Why is there no E&E for Oil&Gas? I don't think I'm ever taking state-specific classes ever again.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11719
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:24 pm

keg411 wrote:Admin sounds like the most horrible thing ever.


If you can understand it, it's actually the most useful class I've taken in law school. Plus, you can get a good grade because so many others will be completely lost.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11719
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:24 pm

f0bolous wrote:Why is there no E&E for Oil&Gas? I don't think I'm ever taking state-specific classes ever again.


Are you in Texas?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby dailygrind » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:26 pm

kalvano wrote:
keg411 wrote:Admin sounds like the most horrible thing ever.


If you can understand it, it's actually the most useful class I've taken in law school. Plus, you can get a good grade because so many others will be completely lost.


Yeah, I saw a survey of practicing lawyers a while ago and the response to three most useful courses was: corps, admin, and evidence. I'm taking a banking class right now and admin's pretty helpful since banks are so heavily regulated.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:27 pm

keg411 wrote:Admin sounds like the most horrible thing ever.

I like it, I just don't think I was taught it very well.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11719
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I have a friend that does criminal work for a federal defense attorney, and in one of his appellate briefs, after taking Admin Law, he argued that a particular portion of the Sentencing Guidelines wasn't promulgated properly. The USAO submitted a reply that basically "lol wut?! GTFO!" and the 5th Circuit came back with "yeah, about that...we actually need a real answer because it's a damn good point, so get on that."

Not that it really matter to the guy that much, because he's still in jail for the next 50 years regardless, but if the brief is successful, it would be a good selling point for my friend in interviews.

Long story's point - admin law pops up everywhere. It's super useful.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby wiseowl » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 pm

kalvano wrote:I have a friend that does criminal work for a federal defense attorney, and in one of his appellate briefs, after taking Admin Law, he argued that a particular portion of the Sentencing Guidelines wasn't promulgated properly. The USAO submitted a reply that basically "lol wut?! GTFO!" and the 5th Circuit came back with "yeah, about that...we actually need a real answer because it's a damn good point, so get on that."

Not that it really matter to the guy that much, because he's still in jail for the next 50 years regardless, but if the brief is successful, it would be a good selling point for my friend in interviews.

Long story's point - admin law pops up everywhere. It's super useful.


Yup. Even when you don't expect it. I'm a patent guy, figured I'd never need admin again --- did pro bono this summer and was arbitrarily capricing my way through the whole trial.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rockosmodernlife and 5 guests