2L exam prep thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Admin was fucking brutal. Studied my ass off for it though. One more until freedom.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby dailygrind » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:Admin was fucking brutal. Studied my ass off for it though. One more until freedom.


I find that I actually enjoy the knowledge I gained from that class. I am, however, intensely regretful for having taken it this semester.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:28 pm

dailygrind wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Admin was fucking brutal. Studied my ass off for it though. One more until freedom.


I find that I actually enjoy the knowledge I gained from that class. I am, however, intensely regretful for having taken it this semester.

It was a really interesting class, and the knowledge seems much more useful than a lot of other classes (especially for someone like me, who wants to go into heavily regulated area of law). My teacher's exam is ridiculous though. 40% of our exam was 25 random statements or quotations that we had to identify the author of or explain the significance of. Examples from 2010:

A random quote from a 40 page excerpt from a Kagan article about Presidential involvement in regulations.

"Please name the case in which the Supreme Court first stated that the APA was a 'new, basic and comprehensive regulation of procedures of many agencies.'"

lolwhat

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby goosey » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:52 pm

last final on friday..tax. sucks. boooo

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 am

dailygrind wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Admin was fucking brutal. Studied my ass off for it though. One more until freedom.


I find that I actually enjoy the knowledge I gained from that class. I am, however, intensely regretful for having taken it this semester.

I gained no knowledge from that class.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby dailygrind » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:12 am

You probably had more DC type knowledge than I did, though.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:34 am

dailygrind wrote:You probably had more DC type knowledge than I did, though.

I accepted my B with grace.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby de5igual » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 pm

unfortunately in this thread already

I was kinda hoping for 2LOL to run its course through late April.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby goodolgil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:03 am

Too early.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:12 am

No. Do not want.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby dailygrind » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:35 pm

goodolgil wrote:Too early.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby de5igual » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:27 pm

MPRE in a little over a week and a 30+ page seminar paper due in 2. FML. It's also Spring Break next week :-/

mirodh
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby mirodh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:58 am

Taking multiple seminars was nice at first; now it is making me want to shoot a baby panda in the face.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 am

mirodh wrote:Taking multiple seminars was nice at first; now it is making me want to shoot a baby panda in the face.


This is why I took all substantive classes this semester. Unfortunately, it has become evident this was an even worse decision.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Doritos » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:33 am

traehekat wrote:
mirodh wrote:Taking multiple seminars was nice at first; now it is making me want to shoot a baby panda in the face.


This is why I took all substantive classes this semester. Unfortunately, it has become evident this was an even worse decision.


cosigned. little did I realize every gunner at my school decided to take the same classes as me.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby dailygrind » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Doritos wrote:
traehekat wrote:
mirodh wrote:Taking multiple seminars was nice at first; now it is making me want to shoot a baby panda in the face.


This is why I took all substantive classes this semester. Unfortunately, it has become evident this was an even worse decision.


cosigned. little did I realize every gunner at my school decided to take the same classes as me.


I'm gonna make my last push at substantive classes next semester. I figure the 3Ls will work as hard as me, and the 2Ls will be occupied with OGI. 3L spring I think I'm going to take Darden electives.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby td6624 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:10 pm

i used to bang out an outline per weekend (while still doing fun things at night) in the lead up to finals

that is not happening now. w/e

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby quiver » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Anybody have any advice/strategy on how to take an 8 hour take-home exam? Never had a take-home before and I'm a bit nervous.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm

quiver wrote:Anybody have any advice/strategy on how to take an 8 hour take-home exam? Never had a take-home before and I'm a bit nervous.


I'd like some advice on this too. I feel okay about the subject but I've always taken exams pretty quickly (like three hours for a four hour exam), and there is no way he is going to write the test to have enough material for a six hour exam...so I'm envisioning myself twiddling my thumbs for three hours with no idea of what else to write down.

Also, outlining can kiss it. Although it's better than reading/going to class at this point.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:24 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Geist13 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
quiver wrote:Anybody have any advice/strategy on how to take an 8 hour take-home exam? Never had a take-home before and I'm a bit nervous.


I'd like some advice on this too. I feel okay about the subject but I've always taken exams pretty quickly (like three hours for a four hour exam), and there is no way he is going to write the test to have enough material for a six hour exam...so I'm envisioning myself twiddling my thumbs for three hours with no idea of what else to write down.

Also, outlining can kiss it. Although it's better than reading/going to class at this point.


My best advice is to THINK about your answers. I love these exams because generally you don't get the same credit for just listing elements etc. as you do in 3 hour issue spotters. Spend some time outlining, think about ways that policy might be worked in there. They usually have low word limits (the one's I've taken have ranged from 2,500 to 3,800 word limits) which means you aren't allowed to brain dump, you actually have to provide a well thought out answer that balances thorough analysis, concise writing, and ability to differentiate between important and tangential issues. These exams play right into the strengths of certain students, others really struggle with them. I've found the exams tend to be much harder in terms of how well you actually understand the material. However, as one professor explained it to me, writing an exam like that produces a more natural curve and doesn't require nearly as many arbitrary grade decisions. Again, I fucking love 8 hour exams and am pissed at myself for not finding a class with one for this semester.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:21 pm

My two worst grades in law school (actually, life) were on exams that had word limits. That would have been fine except that I stayed inside the limits and the profs didn't ding people for going WAY over...all the people I know who did unexpectedly not well in both classes pulled the same move as me (and I know I understood the material, I talked to both profs). I've had this particular prof before and did well, but there were no word limits on those exams...ugh. I'll have to get him to come down hard on either the strict enforcement side or the squishy suggested limit side when I ask if he has old exams.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Geist13 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:That would have been fine except that I stayed inside the limits and the profs didn't ding people for going WAY over


that's fucked up.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Geist13 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:That would have been fine except that I stayed inside the limits and the profs didn't ding people for going WAY over


that's fucked up.


Yeah, it was a really unpleasant surprise. Especially since both of those were in the same semester. I felt better after I talked to the profs because I apparently knew the material, I just didn't put up enough points relative to everybody else since I thought the word limits were actual, um, limits. But before I talked to the profs I was fairly convinced my IQ had bottomed out over the summer or something. Pretty precipitous drop.

Therefore, determined to not screw things up that way ever, ever, EVER again.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Geist13 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
Geist13 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:That would have been fine except that I stayed inside the limits and the profs didn't ding people for going WAY over


that's fucked up.


Yeah, it was a really unpleasant surprise. Especially since both of those were in the same semester. I felt better after I talked to the profs because I apparently knew the material, I just didn't put up enough points relative to everybody else since I thought the word limits were actual, um, limits. But before I talked to the profs I was fairly convinced my IQ had bottomed out over the summer or something. Pretty precipitous drop.

Therefore, determined to not screw things up that way ever, ever, EVER again.


Then definitely ask these professors what the deal is with the word limits. The ones I have taken have been either: you loose points for going over the word limit, or the professor stops reading at the word limit (not sure how they know exactly where that is). But in everycase, we've had to include the actual word count of our submission in the header.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Gray, usn26 and 7 guests