2L exam prep thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby as stars burn » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks guys! So sweet of you :)

P.S. There is hope in finding a job. I'm in the Midwest market....mostly Chicago though since I'm at a regional school. I just happened to get the offer from OCI, which just blew me away; they didn't even have me come in for second interviews. Unbelievable I tell you. I've gotten dinged at lots of places though, but you only need one offer dammit!

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby beach_terror » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 am

as stars burn wrote:Thanks guys! So sweet of you :)

P.S. There is hope in finding a job. I'm in the Midwest market....mostly Chicago though since I'm at a regional school. I just happened to get the offer from OCI, which just blew me away; they didn't even have me come in for second interviews. Unbelievable I tell you. I've gotten dinged at lots of places though, but you only need one offer dammit!

OCI for me has gone like 16 screens, 2 cbs, 0 offers. I clearly suck as a person. You give me hope though!

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:58 am

Antilles Haven wrote:Who wants to explain Kirby Lumber to me? Kthanks.



it's just cancellation of indebtedness income (CODI).

They had a debt (the bonds) and settled the debt for less than what they owed. The excess is ordinary income. See 61(a)(12) or one of those

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:04 am

So looks like I dun goofed and I actually don't have an exam on the 6th. It's actually unscheduled. Goof works in my favor.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby as stars burn » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:56 am

beach_terror wrote:
as stars burn wrote:Thanks guys! So sweet of you :)

P.S. There is hope in finding a job. I'm in the Midwest market....mostly Chicago though since I'm at a regional school. I just happened to get the offer from OCI, which just blew me away; they didn't even have me come in for second interviews. Unbelievable I tell you. I've gotten dinged at lots of places though, but you only need one offer dammit!

OCI for me has gone like 16 screens, 2 cbs, 0 offers. I clearly suck as a person. You give me hope though!


You definitely DON'T suck as a person. It's still pretty rough out there, and there is still so much competition. I know I have been blessed; granted, this just puts an ungodly amount of pressure on me not to seriously eff up this semester. I believe in you!

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby as stars burn » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:57 am

BunkMoreland wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:Who wants to explain Kirby Lumber to me? Kthanks.



it's just cancellation of indebtedness income (CODI).

They had a debt (the bonds) and settled the debt for less than what they owed. The excess is ordinary income. See 61(a)(12) or one of those


Oh lord, I'm taking income tax right now and you just reminded me how much I hate that class. That's exactly what it stands for though.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:58 am

BunkMoreland wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:Who wants to explain Kirby Lumber to me? Kthanks.



it's just cancellation of indebtedness income (CODI).

They had a debt (the bonds) and settled the debt for less than what they owed. The excess is ordinary income. See 61(a)(12) or one of those

3LOL

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby BunkMoreland » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:02 am

Grizz wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:Who wants to explain Kirby Lumber to me? Kthanks.



it's just cancellation of indebtedness income (CODI).

They had a debt (the bonds) and settled the debt for less than what they owed. The excess is ordinary income. See 61(a)(12) or one of those

3LOL


Man I have stayed up all night 4 nights in a row now studying, then cutting class and waking up at 2 pm. It's a pretty credited strategy thus far.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:05 am

BunkMoreland wrote:
Grizz wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
Antilles Haven wrote:Who wants to explain Kirby Lumber to me? Kthanks.



it's just cancellation of indebtedness income (CODI).

They had a debt (the bonds) and settled the debt for less than what they owed. The excess is ordinary income. See 61(a)(12) or one of those

3LOL


Man I have stayed up all night 4 nights in a row now studying, then cutting class and waking up at 2 pm. It's a pretty credited strategy thus far.

Damn bro if you don't coif I'm gonna make fun of you for wasting your time.

Say something to motivate me. This is hard.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 am


keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Grizz wrote:Say something to motivate me. This is hard.


Southern firms like to no offer. HTH.

as stars burn wrote:There is hope in finding a job. I'm in the Midwest market....mostly Chicago though since I'm at a regional school. I just happened to get the offer from OCI, which just blew me away; they didn't even have me come in for second interviews. Unbelievable I tell you. I've gotten dinged at lots of places though, but you only need one offer dammit!


Congrats!! :)

As for studying: I decided to outline for Secured Transactions directly from the Emanuels. It's awesome so far, but for anyone else taking that class and using it, some of the UCC sections are printed incorrectly and you have to go find them (it's not outdated b/c it's the 2011 copy)

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Odds of me getting no offered, NYC V15, project grades to drop from 3.5 to 3.3.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby moandersen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:29 pm

keg411 wrote:
Grizz wrote:Say something to motivate me. This is hard.


Southern firms like to no offer. HTH.


Unfortunately still not enough to motivate me.

For some dumb reason all the classes I took this semester are on the curve. Earlier in the semester I thought this would hurt me. Now I hope it helps me...

User avatar
dibs
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby dibs » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:05 pm


User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:08 am

why does it take SO LONG to outline for tax

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby de5igual » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:31 am

shit's getting real now :/

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:17 am

f0bolous wrote:shit's getting real now :/

Yet I spent 4 hrs at dinner.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby beach_terror » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:18 am

DONT CARE DONT CARE LALALALALALA

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:31 am

Retyping old outlines is hard work.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:00 am

Top Gear Top Tip - do not ever arrange your schedule in such a way (if you have a choice) where you have two exams on the same day, one in the morning and one at night, followed immediately by another exam the following morning.

Green Crayons
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:04 pm

goosey wrote:why does it take SO LONG to outline for tax
If it's anything like Secured Transactions, it's because the assholes who put together the Code wanted to give you ALL THE ANSWERS. Who the hell wants all the answers? I don't want all the answers. Certainty is officially overrated.

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Three outlines done. Con law outline is last and 2/3 done. I am entirely, 100% worthless today. Ummm...first final is Tuesday, I have time, right? RIGHT GUYS?

I'm also going out for dinner and going to a basketball game tomorrow afternoon because I'm awesome

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby as stars burn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:25 pm

kalvano wrote:Top Gear Top Tip - do not ever arrange your schedule in such a way (if you have a choice) where you have two exams on the same day, one in the morning and one at night, followed immediately by another exam the following morning.

Can't you re-schedule at least one exam? I have 3 exams that are back-to-back but they are exactly 24-hours apart so my school won't let me re-schedule. Sucks to be me, and whoever else has this awful schedule. First final Fridayyyyyyyy!!!! I'll be so happy to have at least 1/4 done in a week.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:49 pm

as stars burn wrote:
kalvano wrote:Top Gear Top Tip - do not ever arrange your schedule in such a way (if you have a choice) where you have two exams on the same day, one in the morning and one at night, followed immediately by another exam the following morning.

Can't you re-schedule at least one exam?


+1 Here you can reschedule no questions asked if you have two exams on the same day.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L exam prep thread

Postby kalvano » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Nope. SMU has fixed dates for each exam that DO NOT correspond to the date and time of the class, so when you make a schedule, you have to look at the exam dates. Sometimes two daytime classes on different days or times will have the same exam time. No rescheduling at all.

Our registrar sucks.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests