Too late to start outlining? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
johansantana21

Silver

Too late to start outlining?

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Finals in 3 weeks!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: Too late to start outlining?

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 pm

I generally don't start outlining until a few days before my exam. Not saying that's what people should do, but 3 weeks is definitely enough time.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Eh, I wouldn't wait much longer but most people started outlining over Thanksgiving last year and finals were the middle of Dec.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanksgiving break is only like 2 days this year tho?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Thanksgiving break is only like 2 days this year tho?
That's about what it was last year. I said they started on Thanksgiving...it never really ended. Just kind of flowed into studying. I was perfecting outlines up until the day before the final as I used it on practice exams, etc and discovered holes in it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Yup it's too late. You might as well drop out now.

Indifferent

Bronze

Post by Indifferent » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 pm

chimp wrote:Yup it's too late. You might as well drop out now.

therunningman

New

Post by therunningman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 pm

It's never "too late" to start outlining. But if you have a few weeks what's the point? You would be better off studying an outline from someone who booked the class last year. For the utility of outlining to be maximized it should be done organically over the course of the semester. It should be done simultaneously with practice problems and in class hypos so you build a personal tool for exam taking. IMO

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:38 pm

therunningman wrote:It's never "too late" to start outlining. But if you have a few weeks what's the point? You would be better off studying an outline from someone who booked the class last year. For the utility of outlining to be maximized it should be done organically over the course of the semester. It should be done simultaneously with practice problems and in class hypos so you build a personal tool for exam taking. IMO
Any more opinion on whether I should start outlining or not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
therunningman wrote:It's never "too late" to start outlining. But if you have a few weeks what's the point? You would be better off studying an outline from someone who booked the class last year. For the utility of outlining to be maximized it should be done organically over the course of the semester. It should be done simultaneously with practice problems and in class hypos so you build a personal tool for exam taking. IMO
This person is an idiot. The largest benefit of an outline is in creating it. It shouldn't take that long to outline if you've been typing notes.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 pm

blowhard wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
This person is an idiot. The largest benefit of an outline is in creating it. It shouldn't take that long to outline if you've been typing notes.
Umm. No. Not everyone needs to make their own outlines in order to learn the material. But nice try.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Just find old outlines. It's not worth making your own.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:49 pm

blowhard wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
What if your professor doesn't allow laptops? Kidding. We all know hand cramps are awesome.

On a more serious note, I should really start outlining or studying or something eventually. Our finals start mid-December. I take no notes when I read, and I periodically have to skip class for various reasons. I marvel with childlike delight at these people who have color-coded highlighting and such in their textbooks.

I bought a supplement for criminal - what the hell are these things for? At least half this shit isn't even what our professor taught - and I'm not talking about the topics we haven't covered or won't cover. Is this supposed to help me, or challenge me to figure out which parts are relevant?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:50 pm

I have old outlines, but I was thinking if it's not too late I could make my own outlines. I did start taking reading notes around 5 weeks into class so it shouldn't be too bad?

But was wondering how much of a help it is in actually making own outlines.

Isn't Desert Fox some genius slacker? Anyone else have relevant advice?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Just find old outlines. It's not worth making your own.
I think this is a personal thing. Using someone else's outline/notes would feel to me like eating someone else's leftovers. Nutritious perhaps, but I feel more acquainted with my leftovers.

I'm a 1L though, what do I know.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 pm

I have Contracts outlined through midterm. I was planning to start outlining everything else this weekend. Good to know other people are in the same boat. Either I'm not as screwed as I thought, or a decent number are similarly screwed. Either way, it makes me feel better.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
blowhard wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
Umm. No. Not everyone needs to make their own outlines in order to learn the material. But nice try.
I recognize...but I don't think you make that decision based upon the fact there are 3 weeks left to finals. If OP felt he didn't need to make an outline, why would he make this thread?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:I have Contracts outlined through midterm. I was planning to start outlining everything else this weekend. Good to know other people are in the same boat. Either I'm not as screwed as I thought, or a decent number are similarly screwed. Either way, it makes me feel better.
I only started outlines for 1 class and that class was the easiest to outline for =/

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:04 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:I have Contracts outlined through midterm. I was planning to start outlining everything else this weekend. Good to know other people are in the same boat. Either I'm not as screwed as I thought, or a decent number are similarly screwed. Either way, it makes me feel better.
I only started outlines for 1 class and that class was the easiest to outline for =/
I dunno, for two of my three exams, the professors or their TAs have said that not everyone will finish. For these "speed" or high volume exams, I'm not so much worried about knowing why exactly Sibbach was important as knowing it was there. I feel like cramming nearer to the exam will be most effective.

I'm also super lazy and quite possibly a waste of oxygen, so I wouldn't listen to me.

therunningman

New

Post by therunningman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 pm

blowhard wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:

ha...of course the largest benefit of an outline is creating it. But if your just throwing random shit from your notes together in a couple of days, your wasting you time (and probably not truly outlining). If I had 2 weeks to prep for an exam I would get a good outline from a student who already took the class and take practice exams non stop. That would be much more efficient because I would be actively using the material to solve problems. The whole point of outlining is forcing yourself to take a ton of time to really think about how everything fits together. If you don't have that amount of time, outlining is not an efficient exercise.

Edit: I just realized that it could seem like I am saying 100% don't outline at this point. That's not necessarily the takeaway. Even now outlining would probably be useful. But I really just wanted to challenge OP to consider whether outlining was the most useful thing to do now. This probably depends on the amount of time. If we're talking closer to a month...for sure outline away. But less than 2 weeks, then you have to do a sort of cost benefit analysis. Either way, outlining is probably more useful than reviewing your notes and definitely more useful than re-reading cases.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:37 pm

therunningman wrote:
blowhard wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:

ha...of course the largest benefit of an outline is creating it. But if your just throwing random shit from your notes together in a couple of days, your wasting you time (and probably not truly outlining). If I had 2 weeks to prep for an exam I would get a good outline from a student who already took the class and take practice exams non stop. That would be much more efficient because I would be actively using the material to solve problems. The whole point of outlining is forcing yourself to take a ton of time to really think about how everything fits together. If you don't have that amount of time, outlining is not an efficient exercise.

Edit: I just realized that it could seem like I am saying 100% don't outline at this point. That's not necessarily the takeaway. Even now outlining would probably be useful. But I really just wanted to challenge OP to consider whether outlining was the most useful thing to do now. This probably depends on the amount of time. If we're talking closer to a month...for sure outline away. But less than 2 weeks, then you have to do a sort of cost benefit analysis. Either way, outlining is probably more useful than reviewing your notes and definitely more useful than re-reading cases.
I agree much more with your edits. After first semester, I started taking notes in a format much closer to an outline. That way I can review once over while I put into a final outline (about 8 hours per class) and start using it in practice exams. Seemed to work great second semester.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:24 am

I still haven't figured out why making your outline is so important.

Lets say you were going to spend 40 hours studying for a particular final. Doesn't it make since to sit down and study an outline for 40 hours as opposed to outlining for most of that time and then studying it for the rest? Maybe I'm missing something.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:26 am

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:I still haven't figured out why making your outline is so important.

Lets say you were going to spend 40 hours studying for a particular final. Doesn't it make since to sit down and study an outline for 40 hours as opposed to outlining for most of that time and then studying it for the rest? Maybe I'm missing something.
Making outline = studying

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 am

chimp wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote:I still haven't figured out why making your outline is so important.

Making outline = studying
Exactly. Outlining isn't just absent-mindedly abridging your notes. You start at the beginning and run through the concepts, reconsider hypotheticals, summarize important cases and doctrines, etc. What ends up on the page isn't really important. The important thing is that you sat and thought about these things as you created the document. Ideally, you don't even need the outline itself come exam time. It is the process of creating it that is so important, because that process equates to studying and synthesizing the course material.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 am

you are.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”