Reasonable termination

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Reasonable termination

Postby Extension_Cord » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:31 am

Is reasonable notice of termination in common law or is it just the UCC?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby Renzo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:00 am

Termination of what? Employment? Recurring term contract? Something else?

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 am

Renzo wrote:Termination of what? Employment? Recurring term contract? Something else?


Employment

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:29 am

Ah, the things we don't have to worry about in Texas.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
Renzo wrote:Termination of what? Employment? Recurring term contract? Something else?


Employment


IIRC That's definitely not in the UCC

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby king3780 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:28 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:
Renzo wrote:Termination of what? Employment? Recurring term contract? Something else?


Employment


IIRC That's definitely not in the UCC


Okay, I'm glad you said this first. I've taken Employment Law and Commercial Law (which covers UCC articles 2, 3 and 9) and I had no idea what OP was talking about. I suppose it could be in one of the articles of the UCC in theory, it just didn't make sense that it would be. So I agree, there shouldn't be anything about employment law in the UCC.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby Renzo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 am

Yeah, there's nothing in the UCC about it. It's a common law creation, and I don't know that its the law anywhere in the US.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:34 am

Renzo wrote:Yeah, there's nothing in the UCC about it. It's a common law creation, and I don't know that its the law anywhere in the US.


It's not. Right-to-work states like Texas don't require any notice. You can be fired by text message.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby Renzo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:25 pm

kalvano wrote:
Renzo wrote:Yeah, there's nothing in the UCC about it. It's a common law creation, and I don't know that its the law anywhere in the US.


It's not. Right-to-work states like Texas don't require any notice. You can be fired by text message.


Some states put up some legislative barriers (talk to a lawyer before you fire anyone in California), but I think at-will is possible, if not the default, in every state.

(oh, and not to be that guy, but right-to-work usually means no closed-shop unions).

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Renzo wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Renzo wrote:Yeah, there's nothing in the UCC about it. It's a common law creation, and I don't know that its the law anywhere in the US.


It's not. Right-to-work states like Texas don't require any notice. You can be fired by text message.


Some states put up some legislative barriers (talk to a lawyer before you fire anyone in California), but I think at-will is possible, if not the default, in every state.

(oh, and not to be that guy, but right-to-work usually means no closed-shop unions).



I knew it didn't sound right, but it was right before bed.

Texas is both. At-will is pretty much awesome for employers.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Orange.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12542
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby jessuf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:52 pm

UCC Article 2 has something vague on reasonable notice of termination, but of course UCC Article 2 doesn't cover employment contracts as stated above.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Blue.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby Renzo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Orange.

reasonable_man wrote:Blue.



Fellow Broncos fan?

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Reasonable termination

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:01 am

Renzo wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Orange.

reasonable_man wrote:Blue.



Fellow Broncos fan?



Nah... Just the first two colors that came to my mind lol...




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cdemps3, JRA, McChicken, Ramrezyeh, waterlogged72 and 11 guests