Number of practice exams.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Sapientia

Number of practice exams.

Postby Sapientia » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:43 pm

How many full, timed exams should I take as practice before the final exam?

I have 3 classes and each of my teachers has about 8 past exams. Will taking each of these under timed conditions and reviewing them with a study group over the next month and a half be sufficient preparation for finals?

lawschoolgrapedme

Re: Number of practice exams.

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:47 pm

I found taking practice tests to be the most beneficial thing I did 1L year (assuming I was prepared for them of course). On the other hand, some of my friends thought they were a waste of time. I'd try taking at least 2 in each class - that would be my 2 cents

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Take them all, if you have time for it. One of my professors my 1L year posted around 10 finals/half exams with answers. I did all of them, and that particular exam was almost taken completely on auto-pilot, because he recycled so many questions and concepts.

Talking to others who did not take the practice exams, they were tripped up by what they thought were tricky hidden issues, when for me, I had already seen that 4+ times already on a previous exam.

That's one of the real benefits of taking previous practice exams for your specific professor.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks.

Other than taking the practice exams, going over them with other students, and having my outlines completely memorized, is there anything I should be doing?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Sapientia wrote:Thanks.

Other than taking the practice exams, going over them with other students, and having my outlines completely memorized, is there anything I should be doing?

These seem fine, although if you're talking about open book finals, memorizing your outlines is an almost inane waste of time. I've found discussing and arguing cases/theories/policy etc. that may not be on the practice exams with other students to be immensely useful.

Alot of students eager for extra study material also turn to outside study aids for their class areas, and these boards are scattered with recommendations for books for the various substantive areas.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Jesus, I would kill for those exams from my professors. Here's what I have:

Torts: 0 - she gave us 1 question from the midterm last year
Contracts: 0 - prof does not release his exams
Civ Pro: 0 - there are some floating around from about 15 years ago, but the course was substantially different then (two semesters, different casebook, different focus). I've read all of them and have an idea on her style, but can't really practice on the exams.
Leg Reg: 1 - prof released last year's exam

Sigh.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Detrox wrote:
Sapientia wrote:Thanks.

These seem fine, although if you're talking about open book finals, memorizing your outlines is an almost inane waste of time. I've found discussing and arguing cases/theories/policy etc. that may not be on the practice exams with other students to be immensely useful.

Alot of students eager for extra study material also turn to outside study aids for their class areas, and these boards are scattered with recommendations for books for the various substantive areas.

Thanks. No open book exams, sadly.

Alright, well, I guess I'm on track. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something. I seem to have a relatively large amount of free time right now, but I think it's because I've been keeping ahead on everything so far.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”