Business Cards as a Student Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bport hopeful

Gold

Business Cards as a Student

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:01 am

Ive always thought that it was sort of douchey to have business cards as a student. My school is pushing all the 1Ls into getting business cards, pretty hard actually. It was a big part of our CSO meetings and theyve lined up a company to buy them through and stuff. Was wondering what people thought.

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 am

I have been giving out my existing business cards, and it's a drag to have to write my school email on there (card not law related) so I am getting new ones made. Think of the practical use, do you want to find a piece of paper to write your name on when a hiring partner you meet at a function ask for your info?

Business cards are not for your friends/peers who would think you are a douche.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:05 am

^ A hiring partner will never ask for your email. They will ask you to email them. How alpha do you think you are?

jess

Post by jess » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:08 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:28 am

there's a motherfucking search function

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:32 am

Veyron wrote:^ A hiring partner will never ask for your email. They will ask you to email them. How alpha do you think you are?
I don't interact with people like most law students. 3 months ago I was dealing with partners as their client.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:33 am

Oh good, this thread again.

I can think of no situation in which you would need or even be justified in having law student business cards. For employment opportunities you should always be the one getting the other person's email/phone# (you're a goddamn law student) and if you'd be handing them out in any other context you're a huge tool. If I asked a classmate for his email address or contact info and he gave me a business card I would literally laugh in his face.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ A hiring partner will never ask for your email. They will ask you to email them. How alpha do you think you are?
I don't interact with people like most law students. 3 months ago I was dealing with partners as their client.
Goddamn what a toolish thing to say.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Oh good, this thread again.

I can think of no situation in which you would need or even be justified in having law student business cards. For employment opportunities you should always be the one getting the other person's email/phone# (you're a goddamn law student) and if you'd be handing them out in any other context you're a huge tool. If I asked a classmate for his email address or contact info and he gave me a business card I would literally laugh in his face.
well I have given away maybe 50 to classmates and they use them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:39 am

Bildungsroman wrote: Goddamn what a toolish thing to say.
Nothing toolish can be said to Veyron.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:45 am

-
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 am

True story.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:48 am

Veyron wrote:-
I don't know what you wrote, but I was joking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:49 am

Unless its this business card, its probably not ok to have one..

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:50 am

You know what, it's probably best if no one else get any. :D

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:53 am

r6_philly wrote:You know what, it's probably best if no one else get any. :D
Agreed. Law students are terrible enough without all of us having business cars, too.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:-
I don't know what you wrote
I assure you that they were unkind things about your mother.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I just feel like business cards a right of passage, and if you jump the gun on them you come off as an entitled snob.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:58 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I just feel like business cards a right of passage, and if you jump the gun on them you come off as an entitled snob.
get over yourself. everybody gets business cards, there's nothing douchey about it. lots of lawyers will ask for them when you meet them at networking events.

if you wanna be slick get some moo.com cards, which has a QR code on em. free after you sign up for about.me

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:07 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I just feel like business cards a right of passage, and if you jump the gun on them you come off as an entitled snob.
get over yourself. everybody gets business cards, there's nothing douchey about it. lots of lawyers will ask for them when you meet them at networking events.

if you wanna be slick get some moo.com cards, which has a QR code on em. free after you sign up for about.me
Am I under myself? I feel like I was talking about something I feel like Im not entitled to.

Maybe take the dick out of your life and youll stop projecting it into others. Wanker.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:32 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:

Am I under myself? I feel like I was talking about something I feel like Im not entitled to.

Maybe take the dick out of your life and youll stop projecting it into others. Wanker.
You weren't talking about yourself, you were saying that people who have business cards are entitled. I'm here to tell you that you are an idiot and need to get over yourself. Business cards are not an unusual thing for law students to have. You probably think wearing a suit to an interview is entitled as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:

You weren't talking about yourself, you were saying that people who have business cards are entitled. I'm here to tell you that you are an idiot and need to get over yourself. Business cards are not an unusual thing for law students to have. You probably think wearing a suit to an interview is entitled as well.
Im here to tell you that you are misusing the phrase "get over yourself." Repeatedly.

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Blue Slide Park is going to be raw

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:Blue Slide Park is going to be raw
It leaked today. Its dizzy dude. Straight dizzy.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 pm

No student needs a business card. You are the one who has to be proactive and get in touch with people, not the other way around. I've never been asked for a business card, no one I know has ever been asked for a business card, and even my CSO agreed that its silly and pointless for a law student to be handing it out. What you SHOULD be doing is collecting the business cards of the lawyers you meet, staying in touch, eventually forwarding your resume, etc. They will never be the ones to initiate this kind of contact, so business cards for law students are plain silly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”