Business Cards as a Student

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Business Cards as a Student

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:01 am

Ive always thought that it was sort of douchey to have business cards as a student. My school is pushing all the 1Ls into getting business cards, pretty hard actually. It was a big part of our CSO meetings and theyve lined up a company to buy them through and stuff. Was wondering what people thought.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 am

I have been giving out my existing business cards, and it's a drag to have to write my school email on there (card not law related) so I am getting new ones made. Think of the practical use, do you want to find a piece of paper to write your name on when a hiring partner you meet at a function ask for your info?

Business cards are not for your friends/peers who would think you are a douche.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby Veyron » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:05 am

^ A hiring partner will never ask for your email. They will ask you to email them. How alpha do you think you are?

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12549
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby jessuf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:08 am

My school also does school business cards for students. We get 250 for free. I don't see why having student business cards would be a bad thing. When I go to networking events, the alumni always ask for my card when I ask for theirs, and I'm like, "Uhhhh.." I know they aren't going to call or e-mail me or anything, but it may be helpful if someone meets you and thinks you're pretty dynamic but can't remember what your name is when you and a sea of other people are applying for positions at their firm for the summer.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:28 am

there's a motherfucking search function

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:32 am

Veyron wrote:^ A hiring partner will never ask for your email. They will ask you to email them. How alpha do you think you are?


I don't interact with people like most law students. 3 months ago I was dealing with partners as their client.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:33 am

Oh good, this thread again.

I can think of no situation in which you would need or even be justified in having law student business cards. For employment opportunities you should always be the one getting the other person's email/phone# (you're a goddamn law student) and if you'd be handing them out in any other context you're a huge tool. If I asked a classmate for his email address or contact info and he gave me a business card I would literally laugh in his face.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 am

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ A hiring partner will never ask for your email. They will ask you to email them. How alpha do you think you are?


I don't interact with people like most law students. 3 months ago I was dealing with partners as their client.

Goddamn what a toolish thing to say.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Oh good, this thread again.

I can think of no situation in which you would need or even be justified in having law student business cards. For employment opportunities you should always be the one getting the other person's email/phone# (you're a goddamn law student) and if you'd be handing them out in any other context you're a huge tool. If I asked a classmate for his email address or contact info and he gave me a business card I would literally laugh in his face.


well I have given away maybe 50 to classmates and they use them.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:39 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Goddamn what a toolish thing to say.


Nothing toolish can be said to Veyron.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby Veyron » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:45 am

-
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 am

Veyron wrote:^ A hiring partner will never ask for your email. They will ask you to email them. How alpha do you think you are?



True story.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:48 am

Veyron wrote:-


I don't know what you wrote, but I was joking.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:49 am

Unless its this business card, its probably not ok to have one..

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:50 am

You know what, it's probably best if no one else get any. :D

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:53 am

r6_philly wrote:You know what, it's probably best if no one else get any. :D

Agreed. Law students are terrible enough without all of us having business cars, too.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby Veyron » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:-


I don't know what you wrote


I assure you that they were unkind things about your mother.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:53 pm

I just feel like business cards a right of passage, and if you jump the gun on them you come off as an entitled snob.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:58 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I just feel like business cards a right of passage, and if you jump the gun on them you come off as an entitled snob.


get over yourself. everybody gets business cards, there's nothing douchey about it. lots of lawyers will ask for them when you meet them at networking events.

if you wanna be slick get some moo.com cards, which has a QR code on em. free after you sign up for about.me

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:07 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I just feel like business cards a right of passage, and if you jump the gun on them you come off as an entitled snob.


get over yourself. everybody gets business cards, there's nothing douchey about it. lots of lawyers will ask for them when you meet them at networking events.

if you wanna be slick get some moo.com cards, which has a QR code on em. free after you sign up for about.me

Am I under myself? I feel like I was talking about something I feel like Im not entitled to.

Maybe take the dick out of your life and youll stop projecting it into others. Wanker.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby c3pO4 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:32 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I just feel like business cards a right of passage, and if you jump the gun on them you come off as an entitled snob.


get over yourself. everybody gets business cards, there's nothing douchey about it. lots of lawyers will ask for them when you meet them at networking events.

if you wanna be slick get some moo.com cards, which has a QR code on em. free after you sign up for about.me

Am I under myself? I feel like I was talking about something I feel like Im not entitled to.

Maybe take the dick out of your life and youll stop projecting it into others. Wanker.


You weren't talking about yourself, you were saying that people who have business cards are entitled. I'm here to tell you that you are an idiot and need to get over yourself. Business cards are not an unusual thing for law students to have. You probably think wearing a suit to an interview is entitled as well.

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:I just feel like business cards a right of passage, and if you jump the gun on them you come off as an entitled snob.


get over yourself. everybody gets business cards, there's nothing douchey about it. lots of lawyers will ask for them when you meet them at networking events.

if you wanna be slick get some moo.com cards, which has a QR code on em. free after you sign up for about.me

Am I under myself? I feel like I was talking about something I feel like Im not entitled to.

Maybe take the dick out of your life and youll stop projecting it into others. Wanker.


You weren't talking about yourself, you were saying that people who have business cards are entitled. I'm here to tell you that you are an idiot and need to get over yourself. Business cards are not an unusual thing for law students to have. You probably think wearing a suit to an interview is entitled as well.

Im here to tell you that you are misusing the phrase "get over yourself." Repeatedly.

User avatar
ChiCity22
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby ChiCity22 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Blue Slide Park is going to be raw

User avatar
bport hopeful
Posts: 4913
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:Blue Slide Park is going to be raw

It leaked today. Its dizzy dude. Straight dizzy.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Business Cards as a Student

Postby kaiser » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 pm

No student needs a business card. You are the one who has to be proactive and get in touch with people, not the other way around. I've never been asked for a business card, no one I know has ever been asked for a business card, and even my CSO agreed that its silly and pointless for a law student to be handing it out. What you SHOULD be doing is collecting the business cards of the lawyers you meet, staying in touch, eventually forwarding your resume, etc. They will never be the ones to initiate this kind of contact, so business cards for law students are plain silly.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: baileymjd, dannyswo, kensey and 16 guests