Consequences for Failing LRW at HYS

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ineedhelplease

Re: Consequences for Failing LRW at HYS

Postby Ineedhelplease » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:16 pm

spondee wrote:If you just want some dumb generic answer, read the student handbook.

That's one of the points I was trying to make. I read the literature I have and I searched thoroughly our program's Web site. There wasn't mention, as far as I could tell, of such situation. (And yes, I realize this is probably due to its rarity).

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:18 pm

So you plagiarized then, huh? Just go talk to the dean and find out, good grief. It's better than getting all freaked out over the situation. It'll set your mind at rest, one way or the other.

Ineedhelplease

Postby Ineedhelplease » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:22 pm

zomginternets wrote:This is the most retarded thread I've read in a while. OP knows how to get the answer, but insists on getting it in a different and completely unreliable way.

It was meant to be a simple question. I was hoping for one or two responses with maybe a quote that I missed from the student handbook or online, explaining exactly what the requirement is. Not every question asked online has to be complex or profound in nature does it? As mentioned, it was meant to be a question equivalent in kind to "can we take electives outside the law school our 1L year?" I was hoping for an answer like "yes, you can take one elective your spring quarter/semester." I would then of course confirm this. I feel such a process of exchange violates no internet etiquette.

samsonyte16

Postby samsonyte16 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm going to assume your LRW instructor thinks you cheated/you did cheat. I could be wrong, but I think ABA rules say you need to pass LRW to graduate, so if you fail you will have to retake it. You can't sign up for 1L LRW through normal class registration, so the Dean is probably going to find out one way or another. I think you should go to the Dean's office and explain what is going on. Declaring halfway through the semester that a student absolutely will not pass seems off--it might violate a school policy. At the very least, maybe you can negotiate your way to an LP.

dontknowwhereimgoin

Postby dontknowwhereimgoin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 pm

So, OP, how did you fail out of your other 2 graduate programs.

I think any information, even by way of subtle hint, regarding those two previous general incidents can help the forum provide advice on your more specific quandary at hand.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Did you fail because you went 10,000 words over the word limit?

Ineedhelplease

Postby Ineedhelplease » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:46 pm

samsonyte16 wrote:I'm going to assume your LRW instructor thinks you cheated/you did cheat. I could be wrong, but I think ABA rules say you need to pass LRW to graduate, so if you fail you will have to retake it. You can't sign up for 1L LRW through normal class registration, so the Dean is probably going to find out one way or another. I think you should go to the Dean's office and explain what is going on. Declaring halfway through the semester that a student absolutely will not pass seems off--it might violate a school policy. At the very least, maybe you can negotiate your way to an LP.

Yeah I realize all that. I was obviously overstating the specifics of my situation. But, as mentioned, I did so in order to preclude responses along the lines of advice regarding how to prevent X from happening. I wanted a simple answer to a question in the form "assuming X happens, what consequences?" I knew once I supplied specific content to the question ("assuming me failing LRW happens, what consenquences?") the type of responses I would get would be along the lines of "talk to your instructor I'm sure deadlines can be extended" etc. etc. In order to avoid such responses I obviously overstated my case ("assume I failed, there's nothing I can do about it, what consequences?").

Ineedhelplease

Postby Ineedhelplease » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 pm

spondee wrote:If you just want some dumb generic answer, read the student handbook.

Is there a better place to post generic type questions re law school requirements? Another forum maybe?

snailio

Postby snailio » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 pm

--LinkRemoved--

This says completed, so I would assume no, you will not graduate.

dontknowwhereimgoin

Postby dontknowwhereimgoin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Ineedhelplease wrote:Yeah I realize all that. I was obviously overstating the specifics of my situation. But, as mentioned, I did so in order to preclude responses along the lines of advice regarding how to prevent X from happening. I wanted a simple answer to a question in the form "assuming X happens, what consequences?" I knew once I supplied specific content to the question ("assuming me failing LRW happens, what consenquences?") the type of responses I would get would be along the lines of "talk to your instructor I'm sure deadlines can be extended" etc. etc. In order to avoid such responses I obviously overstated my case ("assume I failed, there's nothing I can do about it, what consequences?").

I don't mean to be pushy, but if you could describe in some specificity (veiled or cryptic messages are A-ok) what precipitated your current predicament the forum could be of much more value to you.

Ineedhelplease

Postby Ineedhelplease » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:05 pm

snailio wrote:--LinkRemoved--

Thank you! That's all I was looking for! By completion, I'm assuming passed.

snailio

Postby snailio » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Ineedhelplease wrote:
snailio wrote:--LinkRemoved--

Thank you! That's all I was looking for! By completion, I'm assuming passed.

Yes that's my interpretation.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:58 am

SilverE2 wrote:Did you fail because you went 100,000 words over the word limit?

Ineedhelplease

Postby Ineedhelplease » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:18 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Lol not that it matters but...we have a winner! (Although to be fair, I think someone else also guessed correctly.)

So, I was unable to turn a memo in within the required page limit. I was given multiple extensions of the deadline in order to do so. I came very close on the last version I submitted and decided, unwisely and unethically, to reduce the spacing between characters. My instructor had explicitly forbidden this. He or she felt betrayed and disgusted by what I did and decided to fail me. I feel the same, except add the emotion of shame, and have no desire to appeal the decision.

abl

Postby abl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:17 am

Probably the answer will be different for H and S, which is why talking to your dean makes the most sense. My bet is that the answer is you'll have to take it again. Given the somewhat petty reason for you being failed, there's a good chance the dean could override it, assuming everything else is in order and you're SUPER apologetic and mature about this all.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:23 am

Ineedhelplease wrote:
zomginternets wrote:This is the most retarded thread I've read in a while. OP knows how to get the answer, but insists on getting it in a different and completely unreliable way.

It was meant to be a simple question. I was hoping for one or two responses with maybe a quote that I missed from the student handbook or online, explaining exactly what the requirement is. Not every question asked online has to be complex or profound in nature does it? As mentioned, it was meant to be a question equivalent in kind to "can we take electives outside the law school our 1L year?" I was hoping for an answer like "yes, you can take one elective your spring quarter/semester." I would then of course confirm this. I feel such a process of exchange violates no internet etiquette.

Wow, bad flame too. If you already read through all the stuff, we wouldn't be privy to any other special information. Also, for someone who wanted a simple answer, you sure asked it in a convoluted/specific way (though ironically, maybe not specific enough to where it may help). Just ask the dean or someone in a position that could know. Or stop flaming.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:01 am

Ineedhelplease wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Lol not that it matters but...we have a winner! (Although to be fair, I think someone else also guessed correctly.)

So, I was unable to turn a memo in within the required page limit. I was given multiple extensions of the deadline in order to do so. I came very close on the last version I submitted and decided, unwisely and unethically, to reduce the spacing between characters. My instructor had explicitly forbidden this. He or she felt betrayed and disgusted by what I did and decided to fail me. I feel the same, except add the emotion of shame, and have no desire to appeal the decision.

You're a fucking moron.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Killself hth

JRD

Postby JRD » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:22 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Ineedhelplease wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

You're a fucking moron.

+1

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:24 am

Ineedhelplease wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

[I edited out a lot of meanness here before posting. I'm really mind-boggled though.]

If I can stop being mean for a second, one trick used by people who are desperately, almost romantically attached to every word they write is to take all the passages you're editing out and paste them in another document. This allows you to tell yourself you can always go back and use parts of it if it becomes appropriate on some later draft. You should not, of course, actually do so, but knowing you have the option makes editing feel "safer" for a lot of people.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:26 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
If I can stop being mean for a second, one trick used by people who are desperately, almost romantically attached to every word they write is to take all the passages you're editing out and paste them in another document. This allows you to tell yourself you can always go back and use parts of it if it becomes appropriate on some later draft. You should not, of course, actually do so, but knowing you have the option makes editing feel "safer" for a lot of people.

I found this to work as well. I usually just "saved as" to another file, and then edited, and only once (out of maybe 7 or 8 drafts) did I actually ditch my changes and go with what I originally wrote.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:54 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Killself hth

hth

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Ineedhelplease wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Go talk to the dean of students. Do it now. This is what they're there for. If this is real/not-flame, then this is what you should be doing today.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”