Complain about writing your comment/note here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
booboo

Silver

Re: Complain about writing your comment/note here

Post by booboo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am

IAFG wrote:fuck you, comment.

fuck. you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39WWj_RpBc

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 am

romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:I finally chose a topic yesterday and we have to have an outline in by Sunday :|.
At least that is all that's required, but I still have zero desire to do it. As much as I like writing, I also hate academic BS. (Don't mind the other parts of journal, though... cite checking, etc. is fine).
How is cite checking fine? It quite possibly the most tedious endeavor of all time, and it adds close to zero value to the world. With few exceptions, no one reads these stupid ass articles. The only reason the citations matter is for future academics to cite them for their own stupid article that no one outside of academia will read.
Because we have to do 10 cites max for each assignment and my journal only publishes 2x/year.

Plus, I can do it with the TV on in the background and use it as procrastination for doing something else. I mean, it's not exciting or anything, but it's easy and mindless.
Last edited by keg411 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 am

keg411 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:I finally chose a topic yesterday and we have to have an outline in by Sunday :|.
At least that is all that's required, but I still have zero desire to do it. As much as I like writing, I also hate academic BS. (Don't mind the other parts of journal, though... cite checking, etc. is fine).
How is cite checking fine? It quite possibly the most tedious endeavor of all time, and it adds close to zero value to the world. With few exceptions, no one reads these stupid ass articles. The only reason the citations matter is for future academics to cite them for their own stupid article that no one outside of academia will read.
Because we have to do 10 cites max for each assignment and my journal only publishes 2x/year.
So jealous.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
keg411 wrote:
romothesavior wrote: How is cite checking fine? It quite possibly the most tedious endeavor of all time, and it adds close to zero value to the world. With few exceptions, no one reads these stupid ass articles. The only reason the citations matter is for future academics to cite them for their own stupid article that no one outside of academia will read.
So jealous.
Oh dear God +1. I think I had 40+ footnotes in my check, and probably 25-30 sources to pull for my pull. 10 cite checks? That's like 30-40 minutes of work! Now I see why you don't mind it! Haha

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:35 pm

lbeezy wrote: I found it more motivating to think about the fact that my classmates would be editing and cite checking it if it was selected for publication, so it needed to not suck. Good luck!
Maybe it's just me, but that motivates me to do a bad job; I don't want to make it easier for them. If I get selected, I'll definitely go through and insert incredibly complicated (and incorrect) citations from arcane sources.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Fuck the note, thankfully it's not due until February. No desire to be published, turning BS in to keep notes editor of my back.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:54 am

Fucking comment bullshit. Thinking about breaking out the ol' UG standby of 60% block quotes.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 am

IAFG wrote:Fucking comment bullshit. Thinking about breaking out the ol' UG standby of 60% block quotes.
I'm going to blockquote the shit out of stuff.

And write nonsensical long parentheticals.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Full first draft due in three and a half hours. This is how I feel right now. Had to necro this thread to vent about the awful experience that is note-writing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Holy crap romo I was actually looking for this thread earlier so I could necro it.

10 pages due today, 2.5 in. I've got plenty of cigarettes, but I'm running low on Copenhagen.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Grizz wrote:Holy crap romo I was actually looking for this thread earlier so I could necro it.

10 pages due today, 2.5 in. I've got plenty of cigarettes, but I'm running low on Copenhagen.
Yep, I'm in the same boat. Turns out my note was shorter than it was supposed to be last time around. I've cranked out like 6 pages, but still have close to 12 to go.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Me reading all the sources that I found month ago to write this note:

--ImageRemoved--

philly_law

New

Post by philly_law » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:48 pm

i love this thread. writing this comment is literally the least rewarding thing ever. it's been the most miserable part of my whole eduaction. i don't want to be published, don't want to run for ed. board. just literally want to do the minimun to get credit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:29 pm

philly_law wrote:i love this thread. writing this comment is literally the least rewarding thing ever. it's been the most miserable part of my whole eduaction. i don't want to be published, don't want to run for ed. board. just literally want to do the minimun to get credit.
Absolutely, and that's what makes it the worst. There is almost no incentive at all to care, other than the remote, highly unlikely possibility of being yanked off LR. Not going to happen unless I really screw up. The worst they will realistically do is 1) not publish me and 2) not let me be on editorial board. To which I reply, cool. Don't want to anyway.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Is there where I say how nice it is to be done with writing a comment?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:21 pm

25-35 page first draft due Friday at noon. Everyone on Journal is skulking around the building like condemned inmates. Every time I don't think I could hate this more, I find a new way to hate.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:39 pm

The worst part about writing a note or comment is that when you tell non-law school people that you're "writing a note/comment" they think you're literally writing a note/comment. I have to say "which in law speak is a 30-40 page paper..." or else they do not properly understand the pain.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:00 am

Done and submitted.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:17 am

GTFO Romo.

Glad to see this thread back, though, since the second draft of my note is due Friday and I'mma be bitchin later.

jess

Post by jess » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:56 pm

I was done with my comment by mid-January, since I ended up not having to do one.

Have I mentioned how awesome my journal is?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

kalvano wrote:I was done with my comment by mid-January, since I ended up not having to do one.

Have I mentioned how awesome my journal is?
:|

Is there something we can do for you?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:39 am

I've hit the wall tonight. I'm at the "type-a-sentence-surf-for-ten-minutes" phase. Bleh.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:27 am

I'm bumping this for my home stretch toward the final draft, due in 11 days. With much vigor and anticipation, I'm trying to work on it gradually. So far, by "gradually," I think that means sitting here for two hours with half a paragraph to show for it.

Oh internet...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:35 am

My notes editor is a complete psycho. She accused me of plagiarism for copy and pasting citations from Westlaw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”