Complain about writing your comment/note here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TTH

Diamond

Re: Complain about writing your comment/note here

Post by TTH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:42 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:My notes editor is a complete psycho. She accused me of plagiarism for copy and pasting citations from Westlaw.
Holy shit, that's intense. What became of it?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:48 am

I sent an email to Westlaw, they responded assuring me that using their citations was not plagiarism (I think they thought I was an idiot for even asking the question, but they did give me 100 westlaw points). I forwarded the email to the notes an editor and then she never brought it up again. I don't know how she ever thought copy and pasting numbers and abbreviations could possibly be plagiarism in the first place, but she backed down quickly.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 am

What is the logic behind a fixed-length requirement (for notes or just any writing generally)? Law school, or at least LARW, claims to teach us to write efficiently because that is the gold standard. Yet most legal writing is dreadfully verbose. I cannot fckng stand to read 40-50 pages of mechanical prose when the message can be conveyed far more concisely. There is even less reason for long judicial opinions, since judges aren't compelled to write to a certain length.

“Self defense is basic right and central component of the second amendment. The right to own a handgun is part of this basic right to self-defense. And 14th amendment substantive due process must have meant to incorporate the 2nd amendment because ____. However, this right doesn't extend to all manner of firearms because ____." Cite Heller, etc.

Done.
:idea:

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:21 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:31 am

poprox wrote:What is the logic behind a fixed-length requirement (for notes or just any writing generally)? Law school, or at least LARW, claims to teach us to write efficiently because that is the gold standard. Yet most legal writing is dreadfully verbose. I cannot fckng stand to read 40-50 pages of mechanical prose when the message can be conveyed far more concisely. There is even less reason for long judicial opinions, since judges aren't compelled to write to a certain length.

“Self defense is basic right and central component of the second amendment. The right to own a handgun is part of this basic right to self-defense. And 14th amendment substantive due process must have meant to incorporate the 2nd amendment because ____. However, this right doesn't extend to all manner of firearms because ____." Cite Heller, etc.

Done.

Congratulations. This is the stupidest thing I've read all day (granted its before 9). It's not about just stating a conclusion. It's about showing why the conclusion is correct and why competing conclusions are incorrect. That takes, you know, ARGUMENTS, which can be long and complicated. If you don't want to deal with arguments, just read the fucking headnotes, that's why they are there.

Also, if the purpose of writing a Note was to repeat, in four sentences, the holding of a recent supreme court case, there wouldn't be multiple threads devoted to it. You're supposed to write something original. Which is a big fucking pain in the ass; its worthy of whining.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:41 am

Geist13 wrote:
poprox wrote:What is the logic behind a fixed-length requirement (for notes or just any writing generally)? Law school, or at least LARW, claims to teach us to write efficiently because that is the gold standard. Yet most legal writing is dreadfully verbose. I cannot fckng stand to read 40-50 pages of mechanical prose when the message can be conveyed far more concisely. There is even less reason for long judicial opinions, since judges aren't compelled to write to a certain length.

Done.

Congratulations. This is the stupidest thing I've read all day (granted its before 9). It's not about just stating a conclusion. It's about showing why the conclusion is correct and why competing conclusions are incorrect. That takes, you know, ARGUMENTS, which can be long and complicated. If you don't want to deal with arguments, just read the fucking headnotes, that's why they are there.

Also, if the purpose of writing a Note was to repeat, in four sentences, the holding of a recent supreme court case, there wouldn't be multiple threads devoted to it. You're supposed to write something original. Which is a big fucking pain in the ass; its worthy of whining.
Congratulations. This is maybe the douchiest, biggest overreaction to nothing that I've seen on TLS in months. Which is actually quite an accomplishment. You're an asshole.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Finished mine Sunday night. Notes editor was great, very committed to the "good faith effort" standard. What a pain though. Hated every minute I spent writing.
Checked my email; got credit. Yussss.
Congrats bro. Time to start a bonfire with every piece of paper related to your note.
romothesavior wrote:
Geist13 wrote:

Done.

Congratulations. This is maybe the douchiest, biggest overreaction to nothing that I've seen on TLS in months. Which is actually quite an accomplishment. You're an asshole.
Yeah, Romo's got it right here. That guy's point was a little ridiculous, but certainly it didn't merit getting that butthurt.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:22 pm

romothesavior wrote: Congratulations. This is maybe the douchiest, biggest overreaction to nothing that I've seen on TLS in months. Which is actually quite an accomplishment. You're an asshole.
You won't ever hear me argue that I'm not an asshole. That said, I was too harsh.

Poprox, I apologize, my overreaction was certainly unwarranted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Geist13 wrote:
romothesavior wrote: Congratulations. This is maybe the douchiest, biggest overreaction to nothing that I've seen on TLS in months. Which is actually quite an accomplishment. You're an asshole.
You won't ever hear me argue that I'm not an asshole. That said, I was too harsh.

Poprox, I apologize, my overreaction was certainly unwarranted.
I'm going to grant you a little leniency after I took full notice of the fact that you replied at 8:30am, with greater leniency if you're in a timezone to the west of me. I tend to be less sympathetic before I'm fully caffinated.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 am

So the unthinkable has happened... I got selected for publication. I really thought there was close to zero chance of this happening, but they must have liked my topic. Currently debating whether to accept. On one hand, it is a nice honor and would be nice for clerking and such, but my note is such a mess that it will take tons of work to clean it up. I also was so glad to be done with my note forever. Sigh...

Leaning towards sucking it up and doing it, but what do you TLSers think?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Do it. Every interview I've had has mentioned being published. It's kind of a big deal.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 pm

rad lulz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:So the unthinkable has happened... I got selected for publication. I really thought there was close to zero chance of this happening, but they must have liked my topic. Currently debating whether to accept. On one hand, it is a nice honor and would be nice for clerking and such, but my note is such a mess that it will take tons of work to clean it up. I also was so glad to be done with my note forever. Sigh...

LOLOLOL
Kinda my thoughts as well. The other 11 selections are like the who's who of Law Review. One of the people on this list is not like the others.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:So the unthinkable has happened... I got selected for publication. I really thought there was close to zero chance of this happening, but they must have liked my topic. Currently debating whether to accept. On one hand, it is a nice honor and would be nice for clerking and such, but my note is such a mess that it will take tons of work to clean it up. I also was so glad to be done with my note forever. Sigh...

LOLOLOL
Kinda my thoughts as well. The other 11 selections are like the who's who of Law Review. One of the people on this list is not like the others.

Bwaaaahahahahahaha!

What's your career goals bro?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 pm

TTH wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

LOLOLOL

Bwaaaahahahahahaha!

What's your career goals bro?
Litigation, and would like to clerk. I accepted today for that reason. Gonna be a lot of work to fix this thing into a good paper, but I think I would regret turning it down, especially if I do well this semester and have a shot at clerkships. So I may still pop into this thread every few weeks to bitch. :lol:

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:58 pm

romothesavior wrote: Litigation, and would like to clerk. I accepted today for that reason. Gonna be a lot of work to fix this thing into a good paper, but I think I would regret turning it down, especially if I do well this semester and have a shot at clerkships. So I may still pop into this thread every few weeks to bitch. :lol:
Do more than bitch. Let us know what this part of it looks like. There's probably a content competition article in all this. (MOAR WRITING, PERFECT AMIRITE?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:32 pm

How is it the closer I get to being finished with this POS the less motivated I get? Isn't it supposed to be the opposite?

thebasedgod

New

Post by thebasedgod » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:40 pm

necroing b/c i procrastinated and am now complaining

basketofbread

New

Post by basketofbread » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:27 pm

The idea of actually having to finish this thing is, at this point, laughably unthinkable.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:12 pm

basketofbread wrote:The idea of actually having to finish this thing is, at this point, laughably unthinkable.
Ditto

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”