Slacker Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TempleU555555

New

Slacker

Post by TempleU555555 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:41 pm

So, I'm a 1L at Temple. It's week 9, with exactly 6 weeks to go until finals.

That said, I've slacked off pretty well for most of the semester -- took notes sporadically, slept thru a class here and there, only casually read, skipped some readings, etc.

Additionally, I have a substantial scholarship for which I must maintain a 2.25 at the end of each semester.

Do you think, if I go really hard for the next 6 weeks, I can get thru this semester with a 2.25, though I'd rather get a 3.0? How possible are these two respective ranges?

goodolgil

Silver

Re: Slacker

Post by goodolgil » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:46 pm

I essentially did the same thing for the first two months last year and finished within top 10% at my T10. Really, what you've done up until now doesn't matter that much since you're going to have to relearn all that stuff anyway.

Kick it into high gear starting now.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:47 pm

You will almost certainly get a 2.25 or above. Even the biggest slackers I knew got lucky every once in awhile due to the arbitrary nature of law school grading, snagging a B here and there to keep their GPA from being rock bottom of the class. I don't know what you school's curve is, so its impossible to say what the "chances" are of getting a 3.0.

But lets be clear here. This is the only year that really matters, and will likely forever determine the trajectory of your legal career. Whether you keep your scholarship is the least of your concerns in the long run. I would prioritize immediately if I were you. It isn't too late to take it to the next level and still do well. Don't waste that chance.

Peace of Mind

Bronze

Post by Peace of Mind » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:13 pm

you should be fine... just hit it hard now!
Last edited by Peace of Mind on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Temple still curve to like a 2.8?

I say just change your study habit and go full out on exam prep for 6 weeks. It's not like you are going to catch up on the last 9 weeks by going hard for the last 1/3 of material. Just aim for the exam.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:10 am

kaiser wrote:You will almost certainly get a 2.25 or above. Even the biggest slackers I knew got lucky every once in awhile due to the arbitrary nature of law school grading, snagging a B here and there to keep their GPA from being rock bottom of the class. I don't know what you school's curve is, so its impossible to say what the "chances" are of getting a 3.0.

But lets be clear here. This is the only year that really matters, and will likely forever determine the trajectory of your legal career. Whether you keep your scholarship is the least of your concerns in the long run. I would prioritize immediately if I were you. It isn't too late to take it to the next level and still do well. Don't waste that chance.
Seeing how as anything below is almost failing, you should be able to keep it, if not you should probably drop out.

Though, I agree with what Kaiser says. This is the one year that really determines your path and job outlooks, you don't want to have your entire career put on a different path because you've wanted to eek your way through one year of academics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”