1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

1L - How many hours a day do you spend reading/studying?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:04 pm

1-2 Hours Per Day
25
15%
2-4 Hours Per Day
78
46%
5 Hours
29
17%
6 Hours
14
8%
7 Hours
5
3%
8 Hours
8
5%
9 Hours
2
1%
+10 Hours
10
6%
 
Total votes: 171

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:04 am

Addy wrote:As noted earlier, the question has been clarified to encompass every aspect of your 1L law adventure (outside the classroom), this includes studying, working on assignments, reading, notes, outlines, etcetera, etcetera, etc. etc.

If necessary you may go back and change your vote.
:)

Why isn't there a less than 1 hour category? I never do any work and I want to accurately vote in this poll.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:11 am

Lately I have no idea.... close to 10?

I have started out lining a lot, legal writing is pretty much hell with memos right now, and trying to get outlines done before Turkey Day.....work life balance is not existent.

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:13 am

Addy wrote:As noted earlier, the question has been clarified to encompass every aspect of your 1L law adventure (outside the classroom), this includes studying, working on assignments, reading, notes, outlines, etcetera, etcetera, etc. etc.

If necessary you may go back and change your vote.
:)


This poll should be restarted.

User avatar
Addy
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Addy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:13 am

birdlaw117 wrote:Why isn't there a less than 1 hour category? I never do any work and I want to accurately vote in this poll.

We provided a very special prize for those studying under an hour . . .behind door one is your tent for Occupy Wall Street. Behind door two is a musty basement where you can spend your days in doc review.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:31 am

Addy wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Why isn't there a less than 1 hour category? I never do any work and I want to accurately vote in this poll.

We provided a very special prize for those studying under an hour . . .behind door one is your tent for Occupy Wall Street. Behind door two is a musty basement where you can spend your days in doc review.

Tough choice. I think I could manage to get both though, don't you think? Maybe that's a little too greedy...

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:19 am

jarofsoup wrote:Lately I have no idea.... close to 10?

I have started out lining a lot, legal writing is pretty much hell with memos right now, and trying to get outlines done before Turkey Day.....work life balance is not existent.


Same. Since midterms I have found myself repeatedly doing 8am - 9pm. Exercise at 6am - 7 am. Short 30 - 40 minute break for lunch with my friends.

This will probably be the routine for the rest of the year, more or less.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:07 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Lately I have no idea.... close to 10?

I have started out lining a lot, legal writing is pretty much hell with memos right now, and trying to get outlines done before Turkey Day.....work life balance is not existent.


Same. Since midterms I have found myself repeatedly doing 8am - 9pm. Exercise at 6am - 7 am. Short 30 - 40 minute break for lunch with my friends.

This will probably be the routine for the rest of the year, more or less.

+1. If this poll were taken in my law class, +5 hours would encompass the entire class and 8-10 hours would not be considered extraordinary.

User avatar
Addy
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Addy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:24 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
Addy wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Why isn't there a less than 1 hour category? I never do any work and I want to accurately vote in this poll.

We provided a very special prize for those studying under an hour . . .behind door one is your tent for Occupy Wall Street. Behind door two is a musty basement where you can spend your days in doc review.

Tough choice. I think I could manage to get both though, don't you think? Maybe that's a little too greedy...

Not a problem. Done. You get the tent AND the doc review job PLUS directions to the next bar review so you can give 1Ls your insight of what is in store for them. IYW: Mention that you know lots of students who made LR using your method, then buy them another round. When you get them totally smashed, assure them that the exam results are just a lot of phooey, the law firms they are going to be working for, couldn’t care less.

gp86
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby gp86 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:32 pm

I guess it varies by school and even within schools, depending on your prof lineup. I had 3 classes 3 days a week and LRW my first semester, and aside from LRW stuff my reading load was light - maybe 1.5 hours a day, catch up on one of the off days if I needed too. Second semester was class 4 days a week with a heavier reading load, which sucked because it was easy to fall behind.

Like everyone says, it's a marathon. People who have been killing themselves all semester will begin to burn out. It's important to stay fresh going in. I remember being at a point where looking at my property book gave me a headache, so I went home for Thanksgiving, killed bottles of wine with the family, and watched football. Best thing I did going into exams.

User avatar
Addy
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Addy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Next week we are beginning our practice exams. I suppose I may learn if studying +8 hours a day was worthwhile, or not.

Has anyone here taken practice exams in class yet? If so, did the results effect the time you spent studying?

adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby adonai » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Addy wrote:Next week we are beginning our practice exams. I suppose I may learn if studying +8 hours a day was worthwhile, or not.

Has anyone here taken practice exams in class yet? If so, did the results effect the time you spent studying?

Do you mean did the time spend studying affect the results? I would say yes, but very hesitantly in that what helped me most was knowing in advance how to write a law school exam. Of course, it is necessary to know and understand the law. I think 99% of the class will know that. It all comes down to if you can apply that law to a law school exam structure. Once you take an actual exam, I don't see how anyone could possibly do bad. It just befuddles me because it becomes so obvious what you need to do on the exam and how to approach it.

User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Kirk » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:12 pm

adonai wrote:
Addy wrote:Next week we are beginning our practice exams. I suppose I may learn if studying +8 hours a day was worthwhile, or not.

Has anyone here taken practice exams in class yet? If so, did the results effect the time you spent studying?

It all comes down to if you can apply that law to a law school exam structure. Once you take an actual exam, I don't see how anyone could possibly do bad. It just befuddles me because it becomes so obvious what you need to do on the exam and how to approach it.

Great advice. Thanks.

PS. I heard that some walk out of the exam in tears.

User avatar
Addy
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Addy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Nothing much has really changed since the first 100 responses. 19% study more than 6 hours a day and 35% are at it for more than 5 hours a day. Two thirds study less than four hours a day.

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Addy wrote:Nothing much has really changed since the first 100 responses. 19% study more than 6 hours a day and 35% are at it for more than 5 hours a day. Two thirds study less than four hours a day.



I don't know. These responses seem kind of low.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm probably working more now than I did when I answered since I am now mainly outlining and reading my E&Es. Not to mention that my property prof is so behind on the syllabus that we now have at least 8 cases to read for every class. :|

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby SaintClarence27 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Does reading the Internet count?

User avatar
Addy
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Addy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:30 pm

My guess is that if this poll would have been done over the next ten days, no way would only 14% be studying for 1-2 hours a day. . . unless they were preparing to join the OWS gang.

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Addy wrote:My guess is that if this poll would have been done over the next ten days, no way would only 14% be studying for 1-2 hours a day. . . unless they were preparing to join the OWS gang.


I would assume, realistically, the average would be 6 hours or so.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby bartleby » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:05 pm

I'm up to about 8-10 hours studying now per day. Grinding like a mother. Outlining is pretty fun though.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby northwood » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:27 am

got all classes cancelled for today. slept in an extra 15 minutes, and will dominate the library. gonna take a torts PT and a K pt, and meet with my crim prof to go over his crim pt.

Finals- be warned you are about to get dominated by northwood

User avatar
Kendi
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Kendi » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:33 am

You can certainly lock me into a minimum of 8 hours a day. Before last week I was with the 16% who were at 5 hours.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Kabuo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:12 am

Kendi wrote:You can certainly lock me into a minimum of 8 hours a day. Before last week I was with the 16% who were at 5 hours.


Maybe min of 11 now, actually. Which is more a reflection of how much more I should have done earlier than anything else.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby northwood » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:49 am

dont think of it as much more that you should have done earlier in the semester... if you were pulling 10 hour days back in october (except for memo due dates and midterms) then you runa high risk of burnout, as well as a serve case of doingtoomuch but actually not doign anything efficient..




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ididntwantsalmon, OldArmy and 5 guests