1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

1L - How many hours a day do you spend reading/studying?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:04 pm

1-2 Hours Per Day
15%
2-4 Hours Per Day
46%
5 Hours
17%
6 Hours
8%
7 Hours
3%
8 Hours
5%
9 Hours
1%
+10 Hours
6%

Total votes: 171

Addy

1L Daily Hours Spent Reading/Studying

Postby Addy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:04 pm

As a 1L who is bordering on bug-eyed burnout, I need to ask, how many hours a day do you read/study, outside of class?

I just gave up a weekend Halloween party to stay home and read ‒ mainly because when I am out-an-about all I think about is school work. I am not a slow reader, just trying to take it all in before exam day.
Last edited by Addy on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

sjedood

Re: 1L Daily Hours Spent Reading

Postby sjedood » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:08 pm

I dont see how this thread is helpful in any way. Not to mention the fact that how would a person know if he spends 5 or 6 hours a day? Every day is obviously different. And lastly, which 1L reads 10 hours a day?!?! I did not come close to that much and was very successful. I think most people will tell you that at a certain point it doesnt matter how much work you put in, its a function of how well you grasp the concepts and how articulate you can be when putting it into practice on the exam.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:10 pm

OP, you are probably just working inefficiently. The minute details don't matter. Much of the procedural history doesn't matter. The peripheral facts don't matter. Looking stupid in class doesn't matter. If you are working slowly to pick up tiny details, prepare well for class, etc. then you aren't working as efficiently as possible.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm not saying this will always be true, but a lot of the cases that I've read could be distilled into a 3 sentence summary come exam day. As kaiser said, much of what you're doing is probably inefficient.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:17 pm

BS on the people saying 7-8. I read ~4 on 2 days of the week, 2 on the other 2 days. I book brief. I could see doubling that if I were typing briefs, but beyond that, if you aren't counting all kinds of things like outlining, memo, and practice exams, then the people saying 7-8 are extremely inefficient readers.

Addy

Postby Addy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Perhaps the poll question should have been, how many hours “do you keep at it” outside of class.
In my case I would say 8+ hours. My assertiveness would likely be different if the exam were simply pass/fail.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Addy wrote:Perhaps the poll question should have been, how many hours “do you keep at it” outside of class.
In my case I would say 8+ hours. My assertiveness would likely be different if the exam were simply pass/fail.

I still don't understand what this means. Sheer hours is a very poor metric of effectiveness.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:20 pm

The people who read 8 or more hours a day are the insufferable twats who, when cold called, are more then happy to tell the class plaintiff's street address, his favorite color, his dog's name, and the day he lost his virginity, but somehow manage to forget the holding.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:21 am

Plus this is contingent on where you're at in the semester.

With that said, I spent only 3 hours reading for class today, my average for generally every day at 5 days a week. However, I have a midterm on Monday, so I spent a good 6 hours doing CALI lessons for that. If this were the beginning of the semester, I would have laughed at the thought of spending a precious Saturday doing some form of school work for 9 hours.

Kirk

Postby Kirk » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:33 am

This is not hard to figure out. 80% of all law students will not be in the top 20% of their class. You need to put in the hours, whether or not you are smart enough to make your hours count is up to you.

You have one semester to prove you have the chops, if you think your time is better spent unwinding at bar review, the top 20% will gladly buy you the next round.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:34 am

lol'd hard at the first response questioning who spends 10 hrs a day reading. I'm a bit drunk. Just thinking about doing 10 hrs of reading or spending outside of class is ridiculous. I'm not doing awesome (on memo and midterm) but I have stepped up in order to start my outlines and just understand the material and rework my memo. But reading for class? About an hour for each class is usually how long it takes me. Did you really just mean the assigned reading.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:36 am

Kirk wrote:This is not hard to figure out. 80% of all law students will not be in the top 20% of their class. You need to put in the hours, whether or not you are smart enough to make your hours count is up to you.

You have one semester to prove you have the chops, if you think your time is better spent unwinding at bar review, the top 20% will gladly buy you the next round.

Because your class rank is directly proportional to the amount of time you spend outside of class doing LS things. :roll:

Addy

Postby Addy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:16 am

Since I spend a lot of time with the books, I was curious about how much time do law students spend on studying. I should not have relegated that time to just reading.

I’ve seen videos of professors claiming that they were at the library every night until lights out and still only managed to squeak into the top 50% of their class. Then they learned the secret of how to do better, which they would happily share with you (for a price). This poll is not meant to argue that “time spent” is a replacement for aptitude.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:21 am

you should be able to get all your reading done for each week over the course of two ten hour days. If you're not reading closely and taking notes, that puts you under 10 hours. Rarely do I ever have more than 120 pages to read for the entire week. It's really not much at all.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:42 am

Would be more relevant to include pages/hour. My torts prof rarely assigns more than 10 pages whereas I consistently get 30+ in civ pro. I could see some people legitimately taking a long time if they had a bunch of profs who like to saddle their kids with tons of reading.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:53 am

Kirk wrote:This is not hard to figure out. 80% of all law students will not be in the top 20% of their class. You need to put in the hours, whether or not you are smart enough to make your hours count is up to you.

I'd be more inclined to think that the people at the top of the class are those who didn't waste time on things that obviously wouldn't be tested and managed to cut it down to 1-2 hours of super-important work per day.

At least, that's how I did 1L, and how everybody I know does 2L-3L.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:12 am

Lolwut? I know plenty of people top 20%, law review, etc. who never miss a bar review.

Also, one semester? You get two, brother.

Are you a 0L? Because it doesn't sound like you 'get' law school.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:27 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:

Lolwut? I know plenty of people top 20%, law review, etc. who never miss a bar review.

Also, one semester? You get two, brother.

Are you a 0L? Because it doesn't sound like you 'get' law school.

The amount of time you put in is in no way relational to how well you do. Sad but true. All of the hardest studiers I knew 1L did not make LR. It's a marathon not a race.

Yvonnella

Postby Yvonnella » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:04 pm

blowhard wrote:The amount of time you put in is in no way relational to how well you do. Sad but true. All of the hardest studiers I knew 1L did not make LR. It's a marathon not a race.

This sounds good and it's partly true, but I think it's misleading for 1Ls. In fact, it's not at all what I saw back in 1L. The people who studied hard did fine. The people I knew who failed 1L were to a person individuals who took every shortcut that anybody ever suggested, skipping the cases and thinking that they could rely on Gilbert and Fleming to absorb the material by finals. They came to class chronically unread, unprepared, and unfamiliar with the material for that day. When our professors discussed the concepts underlying the cases, they were hearing it all for the very first time. If you're in law school and you haven't got the time or inclination to brief the cases before class, then what are you doing all day? (I know that some students work. I'm not talking about them.) When the people I'm talking about finally got around to writing practice tests, even that didn't help them. Somehow in the end, all the tricks and canned briefs, commercial outlines, supplementals and study aids they'd collected could not teach them to IRAC thoroughly a simple fact pattern. The reason was because they had told themselves all year long, "Oh, it's a marathon, not a sprint!" Funny, but two weeks before finals, they were right there, treating law school like a sprint, trying to cram like they did in college. And golly! It didn't work.

I don't get it.

We who made it through 1L have figured out what we need to do and how much time we need to put into it. But 1Ls don't have the advantage of hindsight. Giving them little witticisms to marinade on like "it's a marathon, not a race," or my other favorite line of BS, "work smarter, not harder," only convinces students that they don't really need to study, or that if they spend any substantial amount of time putting in the work, then they're doing something wrong. I would submit that any 1L who thinks she's going to rise to the top by taking shortcuts and going to parties instead of studying hard is delusional. And for every five people who might be an exception, there will be 80 who ain't, honey.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Yvonnella wrote:
blowhard wrote:The amount of time you put in is in no way relational to how well you do. Sad but true. All of the hardest studiers I knew 1L did not make LR. It's a marathon not a race.

This sounds good and it's partly true, but I think it's misleading for 1Ls. In fact, it's not at all what I saw back in 1L. The people who studied hard did fine. The people I knew who failed 1L were to a person individuals who took every shortcut that anybody ever suggested, skipping the cases and thinking that they could rely on Gilbert and Fleming to absorb the material by finals. They came to class chronically unread, unprepared, and unfamiliar with the material for that day. When our professors discussed the concepts underlying the cases, they were hearing it all for the very first time. If you're in law school and you haven't got the time or inclination to brief the cases before class, then what are you doing all day? (I know that some students work. I'm not talking about them.) When the people I'm talking about finally got around to writing practice tests, even that didn't help them. Somehow in the end, all the tricks and canned briefs, commercial outlines, supplementals and study aids they'd collected could not teach them to IRAC thoroughly a simple fact pattern. The reason was because they had told themselves all year long, "Oh, it's a marathon, not a sprint!" Funny, but two weeks before finals, they were right there, treating law school like a sprint, trying to cram like they did in college. And golly! It didn't work.

I don't get it.

We who made it through 1L have figured out what we need to do and how much time we need to put into it. But 1Ls don't have the advantage of hindsight. Giving them little witticisms to marinade on like "it's a marathon, not a race," or my other favorite line of BS, "work smarter, not harder," only convinces students that they don't really need to study, or that if they spend any substantial amount of time putting in the work, then they're doing something wrong. I would submit that any 1L who thinks she's going to rise to the top by taking shortcuts and going to parties instead of studying hard is delusional. And for every five people who might be an exception, there will be 80 who ain't, honey.

You sound jealous of those of us who can do well without working hard.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:30 pm

Yvonnella wrote:

I don't get it.

I'm not saying don't work hard. Nor does a marathon imply doing the minimum. A marathon would take forever if one was crawling or even walking. That doesn't translate to doing ridiculous amounts of work though.

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:41 pm

How many pages do you guys typically read in an hour? I just underline and take (a lot of) margin notes and I'm lucky if I can go faster than 10 pages an hour . For those who go at a good pace, how do you do it? Are you just fast readers in general, or have you found ways to be more efficient?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:06 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:How many pages do you guys typically read in an hour? I just underline and take (a lot of) margin notes and I'm lucky if I can go faster than 10 pages an hour . For those who go at a good pace, how do you do it? Are you just fast readers in general, or have you found ways to be more efficient?

God I wish I could change my handle to cubsfansomething. Are people already getting ready for tests?

zonto

Postby zonto » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:14 pm

I have found my pages per hour decreasing, and my hours per day increasing, drastically the further I get into property. Estates and rule of perpetuities are death.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:34 pm

It would depend on the class. For my statutory interpretations class, it takes a while to read, as the material is very dense, and if i dont take notes, its confusing and a total mind bender. For torts, K, and crim the reading goes quick. However, crim likes to assing us 60 pages a day, so even then its a lot, while torts is usually 25-30 pages a day. I book brief the facts, and write down the case name and the big idea ( i call it the WGAFS- who gives a flying shit) in my notebook. that takes a bit longer, because if the big iidea is complicated i explain it to myself in writing before i go on.

But ive allready finished the semesters reading for crim and am 2 weeks ahead in my other classes. All you need to do is read a day a head, and stay at the pace, and its quick to findyourself ahead of the class. Best time waster, reading in a group in the library, or in a common area. While you need to give yourself time to interact and unwind, you also need to get the work done. I get there at 7am, read until 830 ( when the majority of my classmates come wandering in, shoot the breeze with them, then go to class), then read during lunch and give myself time to chillax. i make sure to be home by 6 every day ( and do things other than law school) Its not that hard. all it is is time management.

and when the memo comes around, ill work on that for an hour or 2 a day, 5 days a week....

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”