What rules are important in the Bluebook Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JusticeHarlan

Gold

Re: What rules are important in the Bluebook

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:11 am

blowhard wrote:Uh, all of them.
Rue 15.8(v) is an elaborate flame, but the rest are legit.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:03 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:The worst part about Bluebook supremacy? In practice, you are going to recognize how wrong everyone's citations are, and you will be disheartened when you realize that many people will think your perfect citations are not correct and judge you negatively, or when you realize people think you are a toolbag for giving a shit about proper citation form. It will be hard to bite your tongue when someone “corrects” your citations that are true to form because they insist you are doing it wrong.

It’s like being the best at spitting pencils high into the air. Yes, you win first place, but that is because no one else gave a shit about showing up.

Most important rules? The rules on ellipses. SO many people use them wrong. If you omit words at the end of a sentance, use an ellipsis followed by the punctuation at the end of the sentance. Most people just put " . . . ", but the end of the sentance should be " . . . . ".

Last one: Know the rule on citing to a federal district court case not published in a bound reporter, and instead published in LEXIS or Westlaw. So many people omit the case number from the citation it makes me want to poop my pants. What if your reader doesn’t have LEXIS or Westlaw, jackass? Give me the case number so I can easily find it. Another associate removed all the case numbers from my citations, apparently confident that I was doing it wrong. Now I doubt his competency.
Okay, this is actually exactly what I needed because the prof said something about someone not having Lexis or Westlaw and i wasn't paying attention at all. Hopefully this is what separates me from a C to an A.

Also, prof said there will be "none of the above" and "all of the above" answer choices. Joy.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:46 pm

I have a citing question, and figured I might as well ask here.

Im doing some research on lexis and for some cases, lexis only provides the lexis reporter. Can I cite this?

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:57 pm

bport hopeful wrote:I have a citing question, and figured I might as well ask here.

Im doing some research on lexis and for some cases, lexis only provides the lexis reporter. Can I cite this?
Yes, there are some unpublished cases that are only available on Lexis.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:01 pm

bartleby wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:The worst part about Bluebook supremacy? In practice, you are going to recognize how wrong everyone's citations are, and you will be disheartened when you realize that many people will think your perfect citations are not correct and judge you negatively, or when you realize people think you are a toolbag for giving a shit about proper citation form. It will be hard to bite your tongue when someone “corrects” your citations that are true to form because they insist you are doing it wrong.

It’s like being the best at spitting pencils high into the air. Yes, you win first place, but that is because no one else gave a shit about showing up.

Most important rules? The rules on ellipses. SO many people use them wrong. If you omit words at the end of a sentance, use an ellipsis followed by the punctuation at the end of the sentance. Most people just put " . . . ", but the end of the sentance should be " . . . . ".

Last one: Know the rule on citing to a federal district court case not published in a bound reporter, and instead published in LEXIS or Westlaw. So many people omit the case number from the citation it makes me want to poop my pants. What if your reader doesn’t have LEXIS or Westlaw, jackass? Give me the case number so I can easily find it. Another associate removed all the case numbers from my citations, apparently confident that I was doing it wrong. Now I doubt his competency.
Okay, this is actually exactly what I needed because the prof said something about someone not having Lexis or Westlaw and i wasn't paying attention at all. Hopefully this is what separates me from a C to an A.
wait, you have a multiple choice bb exam?ours gives us a question, and we have to write the citation out on paper. no eenie meenie miny moe work .

Also, prof said there will be "none of the above" and "all of the above" answer choices. Joy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”