What rules are important in the Bluebook

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bartleby

What rules are important in the Bluebook

Postby bartleby » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:10 pm

I figure if you any 2Ls or 3Ls or (1Ls) remember the number of the rule, it is super important. I'm tabbing as I skim so I don't want to miss anything.

8? B4? 10?

Thanks.

-Graded LRW

ephemeral.bete.noire

Re: What rules are important in the Bluebook

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:24 pm

I don't really understand.. many rules are important for many different things. To narrow it down as much as possible I would say that most of the content in the blue pages are important and give you a pretty good overview of the basics of citation. I just tab where I am most frequently flipping to when doing ICW exercises.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:25 pm

What is this I don't even

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:52 pm

Uh, all of them.

Postby 071816 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:54 pm

--ImageRemoved--

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:38 pm

blowhard wrote:Uh, all of them.

What this guy said.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:09 pm

That question was awesome, especially considering I'm supposedly writing a memo right now. And my legal writing is completely ungraded too.

But yeah, get the electronic version of the bluebook. Sooo much better. Multiple windows open at once? Please and thank you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:24 pm

blowhard wrote:Uh, all of them.

Credited.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:27 pm

IAFG wrote:What is this I don't even

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:28 pm

ahduth wrote:But yeah, get the electronic version of the bluebook. Sooo much better. Multiple windows open at once? Please and thank you.

This doesnt work for blue book exams my man.

Postby 071816 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:29 pm

What's a Bluebook exam?

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:30 pm

chimp wrote:What's a Bluebook exam?

My school does a 1L blue book quiz for LW. Gives you scenarios and makes you cite the sources you would use to answer them.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:36 pm

bport hopeful wrote:

My school does a 1L blue book quiz for LW. Gives you scenarios and makes you cite the sources you would use to answer them.

Gotcha. We have ICWs and memos and that's about it.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 pm

chimp wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

Gotcha. We have ICWs and memos and that's about it.

The blue book exam sounds easy at first, until you look at past exams. Its a major bitch. We had review for it today. Damn near 200 people showed up.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:39 pm

I don't know shit about exams, but I might be willing to provide people with a list of what's important to flag and know for actual practice if anyone is interested. I'm a fierce muthafucka at the BB.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:42 pm

paratactical wrote:I don't know shit about exams, but I might be willing to provide people with a list of what's important to flag and know for actual practice if anyone is interested. I'm a fierce muthafucka at the BB.

BB Swag is truly unappreciated.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
paratactical wrote:I don't know shit about exams, but I might be willing to provide people with a list of what's important to flag and know for actual practice if anyone is interested. I'm a fierce muthafucka at the BB.

Maybe on TLS. I know for a fact my BBswag has gotten me jobs and raises.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm

paratactical wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

TLS is about as close to the real world as I dare to get.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:08 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
paratactical wrote:
bport hopeful wrote:

TLS is about as close to the real world as I dare to get.

I'm with you man, the bluebook is terrifying shit, even when I can confine it to little browser windows.

The whole bluebook exam thing sounds like a fantastic horrorshow. I can't imagine being graded on this class at all, let alone bluebooking. It's admittedly all there, you just kind of do it, but damn is it a pain in the ass.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:17 pm

ahduth wrote:
I'm with you man, the bluebook is terrifying shit, even when I can confine it to little browser windows.

The whole bluebook exam thing sounds like a fantastic horrorshow. I can't imagine being graded on this class at all, let alone bluebooking. It's admittedly all there, you just kind of do it, but damn is it a pain in the ass.

My writing class is graded on 2 summary papers an open Memo and this quiz and class participation. For this semester at least.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:34 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
ahduth wrote:

My writing class is graded on 2 summary papers an open Memo and this quiz and class participation. For this semester at least.

One of the other guys in my section (full section, not my lawyering section) was saying his prof makes them bring in cookies if they turn stuff late. Ours is mostly just ridiculously nice and heavily guilt trips you into doing it and doing it right. Ungraded all the way.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Nah fools, we have a multiple choice Bluebook final exam in a week. The question still might be stupid though.

edit: sorry didn't read - saw the what is this i don't even know and just scrolled to the bottom. Yeah I flipped through the Bluebook, will do ICWs over the weekend - just wondering if there is one that has appeared on the M.C. exams before.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:21 am

The worst part about Bluebook supremacy? In practice, you are going to recognize how wrong everyone's citations are, and you will be disheartened when you realize that many people will think your perfect citations are not correct and judge you negatively, or when you realize people think you are a toolbag for giving a shit about proper citation form. It will be hard to bite your tongue when someone “corrects” your citations that are true to form because they insist you are doing it wrong.

It’s like being the best at spitting pencils high into the air. Yes, you win first place, but that is because no one else gave a shit about showing up.

Most important rules? The rules on ellipses. SO many people use them wrong. If you omit words at the end of a sentance, use an ellipsis followed by the punctuation at the end of the sentance. Most people just put " . . . ", but the end of the sentance should be " . . . . ".

Last one: Know the rule on citing to a federal district court case not published in a bound reporter, and instead published in LEXIS or Westlaw. So many people omit the case number from the citation it makes me want to poop my pants. What if your reader doesn’t have LEXIS or Westlaw, jackass? Give me the case number so I can easily find it. Another associate removed all the case numbers from my citations, apparently confident that I was doing it wrong. Now I doubt his competency.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:30 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:The worst part about Bluebook supremacy? In practice, you are going to recognize how wrong everyone's citations are, and you will be disheartened when you realize that many people will think your perfect citations are not correct and judge you negatively, or when you realize people think you are a toolbag for giving a shit about proper citation form. It will be hard to bite your tongue when someone “corrects” your citations that are true to form because they insist you are doing it wrong.

It’s like being the best at spitting pencils high into the air. Yes, you win first place, but that is because no one else gave a shit about showing up.

Most important rules? The rules on ellipses. SO many people use them wrong. If you omit words at the end of a sentance, use an ellipsis followed by the punctuation at the end of the sentance. Most people just put " . . . ", but the end of the sentance should be " . . . . ".

Last one: Know the rule on citing to a federal district court case not published in a bound reporter, and instead published in LEXIS or Westlaw. So many people omit the case number from the citation it makes me want to poop my pants. What if your reader doesn’t have LEXIS or Westlaw, jackass? Give me the case number so I can easily find it. Another associate removed all the case numbers from my citations, apparently confident that I was doing it wrong. Now I doubt his competency.

The LEXIS/Westlaw advice is absolutely credited. I was in an interview once, and the guy was just flipping through my writing sample really quickly, and he specifically said "oh, good to see you cited these Lexis cases the right way. I can't tell you how often people cite those incorrectly". I think he referred to how many people forget the star before the page number, but the fact that he specifically chose to talk about these kinds of cites said a lot.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”