1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crossarmant

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I really like the fact that we are not learning the same things in the same courses.

My Contracts professor is adamantly Anti-UCC and CISG. I'm reviewing using CALI and E&E and half the explanations are useless since he's specifically said to ignore pretty much all of the UCC.

How can he be anti-UCC? Thats a substantial part of contracts.

It's less that he's anti-UCC, but he believes the UCC is poorly written and that the principles we discuss in class embody the rules of the UCC without having to remember the absurd numbers of the rules. No complaints on my end, I'd much rather learn the principles and how to apply them than to remember the numerical naming of specific rules for such an application.

$peppercorn wrote:
alicrimson wrote:I don't think so. I believe the payment is consideration for leaving the offer open for the specified time period. Essentially, you are paying them to let you have time. If you could get unjust enrichment for not accepting, this open offer wouldn't really be good for anything. This is just my interpretation. Its not based on a restatement. It just seem intuitive to me. I could be wrong.

If they deny the option, they still get what they bargained for. The right to decide on the offer for however long the option was open.

Thank you, guys. That's what I thought.

introversional

Postby introversional » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 pm

$peppercorn wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Another Contracts question: If one engages in procuring an option contract and pays valid consideration for that option, then they decide against the contract, can they claim unjust enrichment against the other party to recover that option consideration?

I don't think so. I believe the payment is consideration for leaving the offer open for the specified time period. Essentially, you are paying them to let you have time. If you could get unjust enrichment for not accepting, this open offer wouldn't really be good for anything. This is just my interpretation. Its not based on a restatement. It just seem intuitive to me. I could be wrong.

If they deny the option, they still get what they bargained for. The right to decide on the offer for however long the option was open.

Good call. On the inverse side, you can't claim nominal consideration is an illusory promise on account of it being so arbitrarily low either.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:04 am

You only need the recital of a nominal consideration for an option contract.

I don't know what to do with paid consideration. But intuition says it's the contracted price to leave the offer open like mentioned above/receive the power of acceptance.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 am

ilovesf wrote:Thanks guys :D I'm only doing practice tests, but leisurely. I'm making sure I get all of the issues and main points of each one. I'm not worried about time, I'm just worried about making sure I get all of the important stuff figured out. I think I am going to stop at about 8pm, take a bubble bath, watch a movie, and go to sleep early (if I can). My exam isn't until 1:30 tomorrow, so I'll wake up at 7:30, review my outline once or twice, go out to lunch, then hit the exam. I REALLY don't want to go into the test totally freaking out, so I'm trying everything to keep calm.

good luck tomorrow!!!

i've just been going over issue spotters, including the ones i've already done, and making sure i go through all my progressions.

probably won't do anything tomorrow besides reviewing my checklists and outline.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:55 am

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Thanks guys :D I'm only doing practice tests, but leisurely. I'm making sure I get all of the issues and main points of each one. I'm not worried about time, I'm just worried about making sure I get all of the important stuff figured out. I think I am going to stop at about 8pm, take a bubble bath, watch a movie, and go to sleep early (if I can). My exam isn't until 1:30 tomorrow, so I'll wake up at 7:30, review my outline once or twice, go out to lunch, then hit the exam. I REALLY don't want to go into the test totally freaking out, so I'm trying everything to keep calm.

good luck tomorrow!!!

i've just been going over issue spotters, including the ones i've already done, and making sure i go through all my progressions.

probably won't do anything tomorrow besides reviewing my checklists and outline.

Thanks, you too!!! I'm definitely just going to go over my outline in the morning, maybe look over the short answer questions in crunchtime, and roll into school at 1. What are you doing tomorrow night to celebrate?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:05 am

Just had my first exam today (Property). Pretty pissed off - half of our exam was an essay question covering a policy question we covered during the first week of school. The material was taught as kind of an intro to property, not part of the substantive law like other classes dived right into. Other concepts that we spent weeks on were given at most 2 out of 50 multiple choice questions - and if they were, they were tested very superficially. I basically could have gone to class the first week and then read a supplement on future estates and skipped the rest. I tried to study *smart* and look over all past exams, even bought access to the professor's published exam materials where he annotated student exams. The most any solely policy themed question came up was 1/4 of an exam so I studied the more in depth concepts such as gifts, bailments, cultural property, and cotennancy.

I think I did o.k, and I've always seen/agreed with the people who say you cant predict 1L success, but now even more so than ever I feel bad for people who are relying on finishing top10% at their T4 school because they think they can "try hard". Now i've got less than 48 hours to study for my next exam which is also closed book, and is guaranteed to be a memorization/brain dump. Go law school.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 am

Sandro wrote:Just had my first exam today (Property). Pretty pissed off - half of our exam was an essay question covering a policy question we covered during the first week of school. The material was taught as kind of an intro to property, not part of the substantive law like other classes dived right into. Other concepts that we spent weeks on were given at most 2 out of 50 multiple choice questions - and if they were, they were tested very superficially. I basically could have gone to class the first week and then read a supplement on future estates and skipped the rest. I tried to study *smart* and look over all past exams, even bought access to the professor's published exam materials where he annotated student exams. The most any solely policy themed question came up was 1/4 of an exam so I studied the more in depth concepts such as gifts, bailments, cultural property, and cotennancy.

I think I did o.k, and I've always seen/agreed with the people who say you cant predict 1L success, but now even more so than ever I feel bad for people who are relying on finishing top10% at their T4 school because they think they can "try hard". Now i've got less than 48 hours to study for my next exam which is also closed book, and is guaranteed to be a memorization/brain dump. Go law school.

Sorry, dude, that sucks. I have Property on Friday. I know it's going to be 35 multiples, 30 estates identifications, and an essay. I'd flip if after studying it turned out to be that intro to property intro. bullshit.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:10 am

Sandro wrote:Just had my first exam today (Property). Pretty pissed off - half of our exam was an essay question covering a policy question we covered during the first week of school. The material was taught as kind of an intro to property, not part of the substantive law like other classes dived right into. Other concepts that we spent weeks on were given at most 2 out of 50 multiple choice questions - and if they were, they were tested very superficially. I basically could have gone to class the first week and then read a supplement on future estates and skipped the rest. I tried to study *smart* and look over all past exams, even bought access to the professor's published exam materials where he annotated student exams. The most any solely policy themed question came up was 1/4 of an exam so I studied the more in depth concepts such as gifts, bailments, cultural property, and cotennancy.

I'm sorry :( :( that sucks. The best you can do now is just try to forget about it until grades come out and concentrate on what you have next. Good luck on the rest of your finals!

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:11 am

I feel like throwing up right now. Probably a combination of the equivalent of 6 cups of coffee I had today and the fact that I have no idea how to write a property exam at the moment.

Law school stress :oops:

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 am

dabomb75 wrote:I feel like throwing up right now. Probably a combination of the equivalent of 6 cups of coffee I had today and the fact that I have no idea how to write a property exam at the moment.

What concepts did you cover? have you seen any old exams from your professor? I've had too much coffee too and can't sleep but am tired of studying.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:14 am

Sandro wrote:. . . [I] tried to study *smart* and look over all past exams, even bought access to the professor's published exam materials where he annotated student exams.

Wait, for real? That seems pretty lame that your professor does that. Borderline unethical considering you are already paying between 2-5k for the class and you have an option to pay for past exams...

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:20 am

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:I feel like throwing up right now. Probably a combination of the equivalent of 6 cups of coffee I had today and the fact that I have no idea how to write a property exam at the moment.

What concepts did you cover? have you seen any old exams from your professor? I've had too much coffee too and can't sleep but am tired of studying.

We cover everything in property. It's the most rule intensive course I have this semester. My original outline for it was 100 pages, although I've shortened that down to about ~30 or so pages.

The problem is I think I'm doing fine with the issue spotting, but when it comes to the actual writing of practice exams, I feel like I'm not very good at putting my words on to paper. However, I got better with torts by just doing practice questions, and was able to improve from ~800 words/hr to ~1500/hr within the span of a couple of practice tests, so hopefully I'm not getting worried over nothing...

Property is by far the scariest class for me because he pretty much manages to toss every single major issue into the test so it's just a massive issue spotting type fest for 3.5 hours which I've realized I need a lot of work on

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:21 am

I have civ pro on Friday. I've been too busy preparing for crim law that I haven't studied civ pro yet. Oops.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:24 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
Sandro wrote:. . . [I] tried to study *smart* and look over all past exams, even bought access to the professor's published exam materials where he annotated student exams.

Wait, for real? That seems pretty lame that your professor does that. Borderline unethical considering you are already paying between 2-5k for the class and you have an option to pay for past exams...

Yes. And he took hypo questions verbatim out of his supplement he wrote. I was almost in shock, didnt even change the names used for the characters.

EDIT - The two cases that were the basis of the policy question were covered the first two class periods and never referenced afterwards. Come on.
Last edited by Sandro on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 am

dabomb75 wrote:
AlexanderSupertramp wrote:

We cover everything in property. It's the most rule intensive course I have this semester. My original outline for it was 100 pages, although I've shortened that down to about ~30 or so pages.

The problem is I think I'm doing fine with the issue spotting, but when it comes to the actual writing of practice exams, I feel like I'm not very good at putting my words on to paper. However, I got better with torts by just doing practice questions, and was able to improve from ~800 words/hr to ~1500/hr within the span of a couple of practice tests, so hopefully I'm not getting worried over nothing...

Property is by far the scariest class for me because he pretty much manages to toss every single major issue into the test so it's just a massive issue spotting type fest for 3.5 hours which I've realized I need a lot of work on

Sounds like Contracts for me. I love Property. We only did finders, adverse possession, gifts, estates, future interests, and concurrent estates this semester.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:37 am

Sandro wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

Yes. And he took hypo questions verbatim out of his supplement he wrote. I was almost in shock, didnt even change the names used for the characters.

EDIT - The two cases that were the basis of the policy question were covered the first two class periods and never referenced afterwards. Come on.

If you dont get the grade you want, take the books to him and ask for a refund.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:29 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

If you dont get the grade you want, take the books to him and ask for a refund.

???? If anything having the book helped. He just basically punished people who studied the material in depth, and rewarded those who poured over the first 2 days of class.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:06 am

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:

good luck tomorrow!!!

Thanks, you too!!! I'm definitely just going to go over my outline in the morning, maybe look over the short answer questions in crunchtime, and roll into school at 1. What are you doing tomorrow night to celebrate?

studying for the next final. :shock:

i'll grab a beer and a bite to eat with a couple of friends and chill out for most of tomorrow, but yeah, i'll probably fit in an hour or two to get started on civpro.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:42 am

Good luck to everyone starting finals!!

I'll be here trying to pretend I'm already done with mine.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:47 am

Is it possible to memorize general concepts of property and have a rough understanding of Future Interests before tomorrow at 1?Have a property exam, but just feel so unready. its closed book and I think Im going to have a rough time spotting the issues if I dont know the law., and not sure how much I can learn before tomorrow

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 am

merc280 wrote:Is it possible to memorize general concepts of property and have a rough understanding of Future Interests before tomorrow at 1?Have a property exam, but just feel so unready. its closed book and I think Im going to have a rough time spotting the issues if I dont know the law., and not sure how much I can learn before tomorrow

I'll future interest you in the next 30 seconds:

Estate---------------------Future Interest in Grantor--Future Interest in 3rd Party
Fee Simple Determinable-----Possibility of Reverter-----N/A-
Fee Simple Subject to Con-
dition Subsequent-----------Right of (Re)Entry-------------N/A
Fee Simple Subject to Exec-
utory Limitation--------------N/A---------------------Executory Interest
Life Estate*------------------Reversion-----------------Remainder

*And other estates where the grantor is giving out a lessor estate than he owns

Executory Interest: springing if divests grantor, shifting if divests another grantee)
Remainder: vested if there is no condition precedent + ascertainable people, i.e. not just future ------children, contingent if condition precedent or unascertainable people)

Don't worry about the Rule against Pepetituities.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 am

ph14 wrote:
merc280 wrote:Is it possible to memorize general concepts of property and have a rough understanding of Future Interests before tomorrow at 1?Have a property exam, but just feel so unready. its closed book and I think Im going to have a rough time spotting the issues if I dont know the law., and not sure how much I can learn before tomorrow

Estate---------------------Future Interest in Grantor--Future Interest in 3rd Party

Executory Interest: springing if divests grantor, shifting if divests another grantee)
Remainder: vested if there is no condition precedent + ascertainable people, i.e. not just future ------children, contingent if condition precedent or unascertainable people)

Thanks. I think the problem is going to happen when there are multiple choice questions that start discussing multi party bank account, and other things like specific rights of tenants when possible breaches of quiet enjoyment occur.

They say quitclaim deeds are more expensive and in demand then special and regular warranty deeds..why is that?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:38 am

merc280 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Thanks. I think the problem is going to happen when there are multiple choice questions that start discussing multi party bank account, and other things like specific rights of tenants when possible breaches of quiet enjoyment occur.

They say quitclaim deeds are more expensive and in demand then special and regular warranty deeds..why is that?

We didn't really go into personal property. As for specific rights of tenants when breaches of quiet enjoyment, off the top of my head there are a bunch: rent withholding (partial or fully) and staying, leave and stop paying rent, injunctive relief, damages. No idea what a quitclaim deed even is lol.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:23 pm

Lasers wrote:studying for the next final. :shock:

i'll grab a beer and a bite to eat with a couple of friends and chill out for most of tomorrow, but yeah, i'll probably fit in an hour or two to get started on civpro.

I think I'm going to put down the books tonight so I don't go crazy, but I'll wake up at 7 tomorrow and start studying for civpro. I actually had a dream last night about future estates. ugh. I'm going to take nyquil the next night before a final so I don't wake up freaking out about when something is subject to RAP.

Postby 23402385985 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:57 pm

First exam on Tuesday is Civ Pro II (Rules). Starting to really get super hardcore tonight. Going to begin memorizing my outline.

Figure get half of it in my head by Friday and the other half of it in my head by Sunday. Don't need to know many cases or anything (only the SCOTUS cases). Closed book outside of the rule book.

Just had my stupid fucking LRRW final a minute ago. Fucking joke. Why even have a final for that shit?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”