1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:37 pm

are you guys doing whole exams or just sections at a time? i want to do my first one today, but can't decide if i should buckle down and do a 3 hour exam, or just do the sections separately. i don't think timing is a huge issue for me, i finished both of my midterms early.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:18 pm

ilovesf wrote:are you guys doing whole exams or just sections at a time? i want to do my first one today, but can't decide if i should buckle down and do a 3 hour exam, or just do the sections separately. i don't think timing is a huge issue for me, i finished both of my midterms early.

What I find kind of neat about these tests are that they definitely don't feel like 3-4 hour exams. Fatigue isn't as much of an issue and time just kind of flies. Once the outline of issues/exam response is complete, its usually fairly easy to get everything out. I've done some full and some partial and it really depends on how much time I have/what I've done that day as to which I choose.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:29 pm

I just received a book I online and there is a big sticker on the cover that says "PROFESSOR REVIEW COPY NOT FOR RESALE." It looks like the regular book just with a sticker on it. Do professor review copies have any changes in them?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:50 pm

ilovesf wrote:are you guys doing whole exams or just sections at a time? i want to do my first one today, but can't decide if i should buckle down and do a 3 hour exam, or just do the sections separately. i don't think timing is a huge issue for me, i finished both of my midterms early.

Whole exams.

I "drilled" myself beforehand by doing the questions out of the e and e's and siegels. That way, I don't feel "burned out" out overwhelmed by taking a three hour exam in one sitting

Good luck.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:24 pm

I am working on my professor's practice tests by doing 1 or 1.5 hour sections at a time and reviewing. Typically their exams are spread into 3 sections of 1 hr problems so it works alright. Seems to be effective so far.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:34 pm

I'll let you know when I do my first one tonight lol

brickman

Postby brickman » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:17 pm

god, it's the fucking LSAT all over again.

WHERE DO I LINE UP MY PENCILS?

HOW DO I SET MY WATCH?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:18 pm

brickman wrote:god, it's the fucking LSAT all over again.

HOW DO I SET MY WATCH?

DOES THE DEFENDANT HAVE SUFFICIENT MINIMUM CONTACTS SO THE EXERCISE OF IN PERSONAM JURISDICTION OVER THEM WOULD NOT VIOLATE TRADITIONAL NOTIONS OF FAIR PLAY AND SUBSTANTIAL JUSTICE?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:27 pm

one of the practice exam questions my property professor sent us is 4 pages long. :|

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:one of the practice exam questions my property professor sent us is 4 pages long. :|

Wow. Have fun with that fact pattern :shock:.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:52 pm

brickman wrote:god, it's the fucking LSAT all over again.

HOW DO I SET MY WATCH?

Black Warrior FTW! Oh those days...

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Looking for some thoughts on this...my Crim professor is great, but he's an extreme rambler. My notes for that class are abysmal.

I've found a great outline for the class however. But the state of my notes means what I've been doing (synthesizing class notes with old outlines) won't work.

Should I just forego making an outline entirely for this class and just start doing practice problems after reading through it or is there still some value in typing it over? Essentially I'd be typing the outline verbatim...not sure how much use that'll be

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:20 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Looking for some thoughts on this...my Crim professor is great, but he's an extreme rambler. My notes for that class are abysmal.

I've found a great outline for the class however. But the state of my notes means what I've been doing (synthesizing class notes with old outlines) won't work.

Should I just forego making an outline entirely for this class and just start doing practice problems after reading through it or is there still some value in typing it over? Essentially I'd be typing the outline verbatim...not sure how much use that'll be

I wouldn't feel obligated to make outlines just because everyone else is. If you think it would be a waste of time, then don't bother doing it. How long until your 1st final and how long until that final?

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:24 pm

First final's in 13 days, the crim final is in 16 days.

Thanks for the quick response btw

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:28 pm

jd20132013 wrote:First final's in 13 days, the crim final is in 16 days.

No problem. Personally, I wouldn't bother making a full outline at least. Maybe make a condensed outline if you want but if you have a good longer one might as well keep it.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:30 pm

ilovesf wrote:one of the practice exam questions my property professor sent us is 4 pages long. :|

Ouch... do they at least break it down for you? My midterms for Torts and Property were pretty structured in that they gave you four or five clear causes of action to talk about and that was all they wanted.

Contracts will be worse...Apparently my Ks professor had a two page fact pattern last year and the answer was two sentences. I really don't want to be the person that writes two pages when he only wants a paragraph. :(

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:40 pm

ph14 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:First final's in 13 days, the crim final is in 16 days.

No problem. Personally, I wouldn't bother making a full outline at least. Maybe make a condensed outline if you want but if you have a good longer one might as well keep it.

That sounds like the right approach. It's a little unnerving to break away from the "outline or die" dogma but it just feels intuitively like a waste of time to essentially type over a 35 page outline.

I think I'm just going to read it several times then start doing prax exams

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:44 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:

Ouch... do they at least break it down for you? My midterms for Torts and Property were pretty structured in that they gave you four or five clear causes of action to talk about and that was all they wanted.

Contracts will be worse...Apparently my Ks professor had a two page fact pattern last year and the answer was two sentences. I really don't want to be the person that writes two pages when he only wants a paragraph. :(

This is why I both appreciate and hate word limits for each question. It sucks because I always feel like I have more to say but its nice because short word limits let you know there are less issues and kind of give you a guideline so you aren't forever wondering if you were too brief.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:50 pm

I've been doing property all day. Tomorrow is torts.

I'm not looking forward to torts though. Its my only closed book exam and I know I'm going to have to memorize every rule, counter rule, defense and policy. Not to mention trying to fit economic arguments, that I don't know how to make, where appropriate.

Anyone have any thoughts on kaldor hicks, pareto efficiency, and the coase theorem?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:02 pm

gdane wrote:I've been doing property all day. Tomorrow is torts.

I'm not looking forward to torts though. Its my only closed book exam

I shudder at the thought of having a closed exam. Seriously dude, good luck.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:03 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:

On the bright side, if I had to pick any exam to be closed book it would probably be torts. Property closed book would be really rough.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:10 pm

ph14 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

On the bright side, if I had to pick any exam to be closed book it would probably be torts. Property closed book would be really rough.

My property exam is closed book. Memorizing landlord-tenant things now. :|

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Ok, has anyone here adhered to the leews method that could answer a question? I think I've figured out what is confusing me so much

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:30 pm

alicrimson wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:

This is why I both appreciate and hate word limits for each question. It sucks because I always feel like I have more to say but its nice because short word limits let you know there are less issues and kind of give you a guideline so you aren't forever wondering if you were too brief.

I wish he gave us a word limit. He's not even giving us a suggested breakdown of how much time to spend on each question... you just have to know that this happens to be the question that has the simple answer, and the other questions are the ones that need more involved answers. I'm terrified that I won't realize which is which.

My Ks professor really exists on another level from all of us. He was first in his class at HLS, and sometimes he just goes where the class cannot follow.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:50 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Ok, has anyone here adhered to the leews method that could answer a question? I think I've figured out what is confusing me so much

Not sure if I'll help because I'm still a 1L, but I did do LEEWS and am using a lot of it in practice.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”