1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dabomb75

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dabomb75 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:39 pm

ilovesf wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
gdane wrote:There's currently about 11 people, including myself, in the library.

On another note, I'm totally tripping out. I think I had too much caffeine with my aniracetam and oxiracetam today. I never drink caffeine, but there is some in the amino energy powder I drank this morning. On the positive side, I'm blazing through the eerie questions in my e and e.

What's that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

Do a lot of people actually take these things?

no idea. I only heard about them about a month ago and didn't want to start experimenting so close to finals, but I might try them out early next semester to see how I feel on the stuff.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:39 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote: Overall, feeling pretty good even though I've increased the vyvanse dosage and no longer have any semblance of normal hands because pressure + meds= bitten up hands..

holy shit

It was approved. lol. I'm not sitting around doubling up when I feel like it. That would be wrong. haha. Also, hands refers to nails. Nails and cuticles. I have a flair for the dramatic. ^_^

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:40 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote: Overall, feeling pretty good even though I've increased the vyvanse dosage and no longer have any semblance of normal hands because pressure + meds= bitten up hands..

holy shit

:shock: I feel like I'm the only one who isn't on some sort of study drug.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:41 pm

alicrimson wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

holy shit

It was approved. lol. I'm not sitting around doubling up when I feel like it. That would be wrong. haha. Also, hands refers to nails. Nails and cuticles. I have a flair for the dramatic. ^_^

Ok good I was a bit worried lol...

sf, +1 on the home problem...all I want to do when I'm there is drink...I've taken to going to the UG library because there is a starbucks, it's open till 1, and I actually enjoy the background chatter, it's a nice change of pace from the deathly anxiety of the lawbrary

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:47 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

holy shit

Ok good I was a bit worried lol...

sf, +1 on the home problem...all I want to do when I'm there is drink...I've taken to going to the UG library because there is a starbucks, it's open till 1, and I actually enjoy the background chatter, it's a nice change of pace from the deathly anxiety of the lawbrary

Agreed. Also, I hear our lawbrary gets a huge influx of anxious law students as time draws nearer to exams. That and undergrads. Not fun ones. Ones who think a multiple choice, tutoring zone macrotest is the equivalent of a bio-mechanical engineering dissertation and expect the lawbrary to provide them with the proper environment for their glorious undertaking. Read: sense of entitlement to study rooms they don't belong in, yet occupy anyways despite being a lone person and a non law student. Sad but true. I too plan on staying the F away from the lawbrary. The upper grad level in the UG library is nice too.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:50 pm

alicrimson wrote:
Agreed. Also, I hear our lawbrary gets a huge influx of anxious law students as time draws nearer to exams. That and undergrads. Not fun ones. Ones who think a multiple choice, tutoring zone macrotest is the equivalent of a bio-mechanical engineering dissertation and expect the lawbrary to provide them with the proper environment for their glorious undertaking. Read: sense of entitlement to study rooms they don't belong in, yet occupy anyways despite being a lone person and a non law student. Sad but true. I too plan on staying the F away from the lawbrary. The upper grad level in the UG library is nice too.

We don't have a UG so it's only law students here. There are a lot of study rooms, but starting the 23rd now you have to rent them out and sign up at some office to use them for 30 minute periods. Since no one is here right now it doesn't matter, but I guess next week when people get back it will be a lot harder to get one.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:52 pm

alicrimson wrote:

i lol'd

I haven't tried the grad level yet, I might check that out when I get back...I'm not sure when I'm going to drive back from south Florida, as I've been getting plenty done here...probably Sunday, maybe leave around 9ish, get home, and pass out...

I've gotten the point it feels like there's not much more in the way of memorization...I'm strictly doing practice tests from here on out...problem is two of my exams are multiple choice, so rereading GTM and doing leews won't particularly help. Any suggestions on studying for the multiple choice? One is PR and the other is crim

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Too....much....information...

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:01 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

i lol'd

I haven't tried the grad level yet, I might check that out when I get back...I'm not sure when I'm going to drive back from south Florida, as I've been getting plenty done here...probably Sunday, maybe leave around 9ish, get home, and pass out...

I've gotten the point it feels like there's not much more in the way of memorization...I'm strictly doing practice tests from here on out...problem is two of my exams are multiple choice, so rereading GTM and doing leews won't particularly help. Any suggestions on studying for the multiple choice? One is PR and the other is crim

My PR is also wholly MC and Crim is 25%. For PR I snagged a copy of the MPRE review book with practice tests from the Barbri table. I figure that if the teacher is teaching this with the goal of everyone passing the MPRE portion of the bar, its likely it'll be very similar to the real thing. I'm also just reading and re-reading all of the assigned model rules and noting where it says may, should, shall, etc. I feel these will be easy points to pick up because for some of the problems, the only ambiguity is whether you can or you must.

For crim, I'm looking more at theory. My teacher gave us a MC midterm though so I have a bit to go off of. He predominantly was interested in theorist justifications for punishment and subtle MPC/CL differences. That probably isn't much of a help to you but when I look at an MC test I think it'll typically be application + why. The most deceiving way to do this is to put up two "correct" answers that vary by which approach the teacher wants.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Isit messed up of me to refuse to work in study groups because I don't want to help my section mates? It's not my only reason, but it is a primary one. I usually tell people "i work better alone" or "i can't concentrate in a group." I don't flat out tell them I don't want to help them..

Edit: the reason I mention it is because I see some of my section mates working in groups and I'm working alone and I can't help but wonder if maybe my reasoning doesn't quite work.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:37 pm

gdane wrote:Isit messed up of me to refuse to work in study groups because I don't want to help my section mates? It's not my only reason, but it is a primary one. I usually tell people "i work better alone" or "i can't concentrate in a group." I don't flat out tell them I don't want to help them..

Edit: the reason I mention it is because I see some of my section mates working in groups and I'm working alone and I can't help but wonder if maybe my reasoning doesn't quite work.

I don't work in study groups because they're often much less productive than working alone.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Wish I would have started practice problems earlier. I'm having more trouble with identifying issues than with the analyzation. Something's not clicking...anyone have advice on the best way to fix this (besides the usual hard work, of course)?

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:52 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Wish I would have started practice problems earlier. I'm having more trouble with identifying issues than with the analyzation. Something's not clicking...anyone have advice on the best way to fix this (besides the usual hard work, of course)?

Come up with an attack plan. Circle things in the fact pattern that seem like they might be relevant but you aren't sure why yet.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:53 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Wish I would have started practice problems earlier. I'm having more trouble with identifying issues than with the analyzation. Something's not clicking...anyone have advice on the best way to fix this (besides the usual hard work, of course)?

Have a checklist with basically the outline of your syllabus on it.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:54 pm

conflict pairing

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:55 pm

dreakol wrote:

conflict pairing

I'm spending the new few hours rereading the leews primer...it's not far from clicking, but I don't have it down just yet.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:57 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
dreakol wrote:

conflict pairing

I'm spending the new few hours rereading the leews primer...it's not far from clicking, but I don't have it down just yet.

just keep at it, adopt your own style, and boom, you got it

plenty of time left

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:04 pm

I gotta keep telling myself that...the other thing is that my first essay exam isn't until December 9...I'll be ok right lol? Guard is coming down oo boy

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:08 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I gotta keep telling myself that...the other thing is that my first essay exam isn't until December 9...I'll be ok right lol? Guard is coming down oo boy

WUT you have so much time! mine is in five days!

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:58 pm

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:I gotta keep telling myself that...the other thing is that my first essay exam isn't until December 9...I'll be ok right lol? Guard is coming down oo boy

+1. My first final is in 7 days now. The things I would do for an extra week...

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:59 pm

$peppercorn wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

+1. My first final is in 7 days now. The things I would do for an extra week...

2.5 weeks here.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:15 pm

Looking for some help on assumption of risk

Apparently some states don't have assumption of risk, but that doesn't make sense to me. If a state didn't have assumption of risk, couldn't a boxer sue his opponent if he gets hurt? How would a state without assumption of risk treat that case?

Thanks.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:Looking for some help on assumption of risk

Apparently some states don't have assumption of risk, but that doesn't make sense to me. If a state didn't have assumption of risk, couldn't a boxer sue his opponent if he gets hurt? How would a state without assumption of risk treat that case?

Thanks.

They don't have assumption of risk probably because they have comparative fault regimes. Assumption of risk is pretty much folded into comparative fault but isn't held as a complete bar to recover for a plaintiff under such a system.

In the boxing hypo, assuming they follow the rules of boxing, there is no negligence there. So don't even have to get into assumption of risk. Plus there may be some Ks stuff with a waiver of liability or something, not sure since I have not taken Ks.

Further, primary assumption of the risk is merely the idea that an activity has certain risks to it and there is no duty for someone to prevent those risks. So even if a state didn't have the doctrine, it could have the same result just expressed in terms of duty.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, in the boxing hypo the answer may be they gave each other consent so it is not battery (or assault). Since the boxing hypo I think would involve intentional torts not negligence.
Last edited by ph14 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

introversional

Postby introversional » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:29 pm

I think I'm prepared. Hit me with your most challenging 1L question.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:30 pm

ph14 wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote:Looking for some help on assumption of risk

Thanks.

They don't have assumption of risk probably because they have comparative fault regimes. Assumption of risk is pretty much folded into comparative fault but isn't held as a complete bar to recover for a plaintiff under such a system.

In the boxing hypo, assuming they follow the rules of boxing, there is no negligence there. So don't even have to get into assumption of risk. Plus there may be some Ks stuff with a waiver of liability or something, not sure since I have not taken Ks.

I see. Thank you. I guess the boxing hypo is more of a consent issue.

Assumption of risk is not always an affirmative defense, right? Can you still apply comparative fault in assumption or risk cases?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”