1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
merc280

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby merc280 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:04 pm

ph14 wrote:
merc280 wrote:done with all my finals. Picked up my write on packet, just dont have the heart to look at it. Will do that either in a few hours, or tomorrow morning. Going to try to keep the same study schedule and work on the write on packet for at least 4 hours a day for two weeks straight.

Are there any websites anyone knows of where I can practice citation skills?

2 weeks? wow. I'm glad ours is only a week.

still doesn't feel like its enough time. There's too much resting on this.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri May 11, 2012 11:33 pm

merc280 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
merc280 wrote:done with all my finals. Picked up my write on packet, just dont have the heart to look at it. Will do that either in a few hours, or tomorrow morning. Going to try to keep the same study schedule and work on the write on packet for at least 4 hours a day for two weeks straight.

Are there any websites anyone knows of where I can practice citation skills?

2 weeks? wow. I'm glad ours is only a week.

still doesn't feel like its enough time. There's too much resting on this.

+1. Blue book test tomorrow. But I just cannot concentrate even though I know there's a lot riding on how I do

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:46 pm

does anyone know where i can get bluebook practice. This is like the 3rd time Ive asked. Isn't there anyone that isnt naturally good at bluebooking?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 pm

merc280 wrote:does anyone know where i can get bluebook practice. This is like the 3rd time Ive asked. Isn't there anyone that isnt naturally good at bluebooking?

Google is your friend -

--LinkRemoved--

This TLS thread may offer more insight -

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =3&t=64211

(looks like the only "help" there was - http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Mas ... 1594603650)

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:15 am

JenDarby wrote:
merc280 wrote:does anyone know where i can get bluebook practice. This is like the 3rd time Ive asked. Isn't there anyone that isnt naturally good at bluebooking?

Google is your friend -

--LinkRemoved--

(looks like the only "help" there was - http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Mas ... 1594603650)

thanks Jen

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat May 12, 2012 8:53 am

Guchster wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Donnnnneeeeeeee i cant believe it im gonna get so drunk

i'm already TRASHED AS FUCK.

w00000t

Holy shit, I got wasted before we went properly out. AGAIN. Fuck post-finals drinkings. It's like, shoes in walking pattern in the hallway, underwear in bathroom sink, bathroom floor CHAOS.

Holy fucking carnage. I am (supposed to be) vegetarian, but somehow got myself a bacon sandwich last night and ate it. DISGUSTING.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:16 pm

JenDarby wrote:

Google is your friend -

--LinkRemoved--

I found this to be helpful for a general look at the law review competition:

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Law-Review ... 131&sr=1-1

Also highly recommended by others:

http://www.amazon.com/Academic-Legal-Wr ... 131&sr=1-2

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat May 12, 2012 3:22 pm

I can't wait til Tuesday. After Ks I will be drunk until the 20th when I have the writing comp and then I will be drunk from the 25th-5th when I start work. So much drinking in my future.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat May 12, 2012 6:50 pm

write on due friday... given a boat load of cases and the promt is : use 10-12 sources and have it be 3,000 words or less. do what you want. go

yea- thinking since im not going to grade on LR and/ or write on for LR that secondard journals are pointless and might as well enjoy being a bum.. thoughts?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat May 12, 2012 6:58 pm

northwood wrote:write on due friday... given a boat load of cases and the promt is : use 10-12 sources and have it be 3,000 words or less. do what you want. go

yea- thinking since im not going to grade on LR and/ or write on for LR that secondard journals are pointless and might as well enjoy being a bum.. thoughts?

I strongly disagree with this and think that secondary journals are still worth pursuing. I think it definitely looks good to be involved in something, so if you aren't going to do moot court, trial advocacy, etc then even more reason to do a journal. Also, you get office space at your school, so that's nice, and you get to work with new people. Journals tend to have lots of bar nights, so thats another plus. Writing a note isn't mandatory at my school at least, rather you CAN write a note for credits.

I think regardless you should put a good faith effort into the writing competition, then if you want to reject any offers you get, go ahead and reject them.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat May 12, 2012 7:00 pm

JenDarby wrote:
northwood wrote:write on due friday... given a boat load of cases and the promt is : use 10-12 sources and have it be 3,000 words or less. do what you want. go

I strongly disagree with this and think that secondary journals are still worth pursuing. I think it definitely looks good to be involved in something, so if you aren't going to do moot court, trial advocacy, etc then even more reason to do a journal. Also, you get office space at your school, so that's nice, and you get to work with new people. Journals tend to have lots of bar nights, so thats another plus. Writing a note isn't mandatory at my school at least, rather you CAN write a note for credits.

I think regardless you should put a good faith effort into the writing competition, then if you want to reject any offers you get, go ahead and reject them.

thanks jendarby... havent been on hurrr in a while.. hope all is well

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat May 12, 2012 7:32 pm

JenDarby wrote:

A+

Or so I keep telling myself as I write this bullshit

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat May 12, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm on a secondary journal and write on sucked harder than the actual work. It wasn't exactly fun though, but EVERY interviewer has asked me about it...keep truckin', kids, it really is worth it.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun May 13, 2012 11:47 pm

It's possible I just don't want to study anymore, but I feel like I really get Ks and am prepared for my final on Tuesday.

I'm going to do a couple practice tests tomorrow still. I'm so ready to be done.

JFrad

Postby JFrad » Mon May 14, 2012 12:37 am

Question for y'all. My journal competition starts tomorrow and goes for 15 days. I know that we're supposed to dedicate all of our waking hours to this thing but there are 3 days in the competition that I am fully committed to other things that I cannot get out of. Is that terrible? Is this the type of thing that's going to kill my chances? I should note that my school's LR only has 5 spots for write-on (the top 10% of the class automatically grade-on and they're not counted toward those 5 spots). For the other 12 days, I intend to work my ass off. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if this is the sort of thing that I need to lose sleep over, or if I'll be fine.

Thanks!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon May 14, 2012 1:01 am

^ I wouldn't worry about that. In a writing completion that is THAT long, most people won't spend every waking minute on it, and you're also benefited that youre not competing against the 10% who likely would spend every waking minute on it (I know effort does not always equate to results, but most those people likely worked damn hard to be where they are).

Also, breaks are just necessary when you have that much time, especially for something like this. Walking away and coming back gives you a fresh perspective.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Mon May 14, 2012 11:40 am

Time to get wasted at local bar, because I know I spotted less issues than anyone else on today's exam. Not sure I care anymore at this point. Might have to consider becoming a catamite come OCI in order to get a job. Only way to prepare for that is drinking, so...I'll drink.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Guchster wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Donnnnneeeeeeee i cant believe it im gonna get so drunk

i'm already TRASHED AS FUCK.

w00000t

Holy shit, I got wasted before we went properly out. AGAIN. Fuck post-finals drinkings. It's like, shoes in walking pattern in the hallway, underwear in bathroom sink, bathroom floor CHAOS.

Holy fucking carnage. I am (supposed to be) vegetarian, but somehow got myself a bacon sandwich last night and ate it. DISGUSTING.
I quietly walked out of my last exam, went home, and took a shower. I then sat in my apartment for about 45 minutes, staring at the floor. :|

JFrad

Postby JFrad » Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm

JenDarby wrote:^ I wouldn't worry about that. In a writing completion that is THAT long, most people won't spend every waking minute on it, and you're also benefited that youre not competing against the 10% who likely would spend every waking minute on it (I know effort does not always equate to results, but most those people likely worked damn hard to be where they are).

Also, breaks are just necessary when you have that much time, especially for something like this. Walking away and coming back gives you a fresh perspective.

Thanks! I feel much better.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 pm

K's in an Hour and I dont give a shit anymore.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon May 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Shammis wrote:K's in an Hour and I dont give a shit anymore.

I have Ks tomorrow. I can't even bring myself to get out of bed. My room stays really dark, so in just going to hide all day and pretend its nighttime.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Mon May 14, 2012 4:06 pm

I think I would rather be preparing to take another exam than be writing this case note competition paper. Anyone else feel the same?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:09 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I think I would rather be preparing to take another exam than be writing this case note competition paper. Anyone else feel the same?

I do.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon May 14, 2012 4:10 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I think I would rather be preparing to take another exam than be writing this case note competition paper. Anyone else feel the same?

Yessir

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Mon May 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Just don't do the write on. That is my plan.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”