1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gdane

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby gdane » Sat May 05, 2012 7:24 pm

For everyone's enjoyment. Law school pickup lines.

1) (While pointing to your crotch) "Hey baby, I give you consent to search and seize."

2) "Hey are you shaved? If so, your constitutionally protected area is now an open field that I can physically enter."

I'm trying to think of a Con Law one, but con law is just such a piece of shit topic that I cant.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 pm

A few people in my section have been emailing me civpro questions. While it comforts me how insanely obvious their questions are, I've yet to receive a thank you. Maybe it's time to start telling them "yes, personal jurisdiction, general jurisdiction, and specific jurisdiction ARE three different kinds of subject matter jurisdiction. You guys got it!" ha

(also, for as unprepared as everyone may feel, I hope you see from this it could be worse)

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat May 05, 2012 7:34 pm

Bunch of ungrateful bastards. I'd stop responding if I were you. But thats just me because Im an ass.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sat May 05, 2012 7:35 pm

JenDarby wrote:A few people in my section have been emailing me civpro questions. While it comforts me how insanely obvious their questions are, I've yet to receive a thank you. Maybe it's time to start telling them "yes, personal jurisdiction, general jurisdiction, and specific jurisdiction ARE three different kinds of subject matter jurisdiction. You guys got it!" ha

(also, for as unprepared as everyone may feel, I hope you see from this it could be worse)

They are? I don't think those are subject matter jurisdiction

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Sat May 05, 2012 7:40 pm

gdane wrote:For everyone's enjoyment. Law school pickup lines.

1) (While pointing to your crotch) "Hey baby, I give you consent to search and seize."

2) "Hey are you shaved? If so, your constitutionally protected area is now an open field that I can physically enter."

I'm trying to think of a Con Law one, but con law is just such a piece of shit topic that I cant.

"Wanna come review the Penal Code?" <-- sure to end dry spells of all sizes.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Sat May 05, 2012 7:42 pm

merc280 wrote:
LOLyer wrote:Contracts wouldn't be so bad IF IT WASN'T SO FUCKING BORING!

I see contracts like intricate ballet. Ballet, where the invisible hand of the law will not let you fall, but make sure that you and everyone you come close to remain happy in how they are, even if one gets less than perfect balanced when the benefit is conferred to the other person.

The sad thing is, my entire collection of class notes are no less vague and worthless than what you just said.

tedalbany wrote:
JenDarby wrote:A few people in my section have been emailing me civpro questions. While it comforts me how insanely obvious their questions are, I've yet to receive a thank you. Maybe it's time to start telling them "yes, personal jurisdiction, general jurisdiction, and specific jurisdiction ARE three different kinds of subject matter jurisdiction. You guys got it!" ha

Haven't taken Civ Pro since last semester, but I want to say tedalbany's right about this...

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Sat May 05, 2012 7:45 pm

tedalbany wrote:

was probably meant as a joke, to deliberately confuse all the people e-mailing JD

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat May 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Apparently the point/sarcasm in my post was missed. They are asking me obvious questions (they are obviously wrong but the right answers are obvious). They are not thanking me for my help so I'm starting to get the urge to just tell them their clearly wrong interpretations are correct.

Edit: hijode nailed it!
Last edited by JenDarby on Sat May 05, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sat May 05, 2012 7:48 pm

JenDarby wrote:Apparently the point/sarcasm in my post was missed. They are asking me obvious questions (they are obviously wrong but the right answers are obvious). They are not thanking me for my help so I'm starting to get the urge to just tell them they're clearly wrong interpretations are correct.

Edit: hijode nailed it!

Ah

*woosh*

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat May 05, 2012 8:05 pm

anyone have a concise outline for summary judgment, judgment (and renewed) as a matter of law, and new trial? I just read through mine and have no idea where I would start my analysis if an issue came up.. unless im just thinking all of these entail more than they actually do

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat May 05, 2012 8:10 pm

I just started doing Kaplan bar questions for Con law, and it turns out I got the majority of them wrong, for one reason or another I fail to read certain lines in a long fact pattern and it throws me off. Good news is that I have one more day to study. Bad news is that prof said these kaplan questions are super easy compared to his exam.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Sat May 05, 2012 8:13 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:anyone have a concise outline for summary judgment, judgment (and renewed) as a matter of law, and new trial? I just read through mine and have no idea where I would start my analysis if an issue came up.. unless im just thinking all of these entail more than they actually do

I think most professors don't test those THAT heavily, most exams seem to be focused on PJ, SMJ, Venue, Notice, Erie, and Preclusion. The rest is just sort of background knowledge that you need for the heavy doctrines.

But I'd just make sure you know the trial standards, how it's applied, how to separate questions of law and fact, the appellate review standard for each, when they must be brought, etc.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat May 05, 2012 8:22 pm

tedalbany wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:anyone have a concise outline for summary judgment, judgment (and renewed) as a matter of law, and new trial? I just read through mine and have no idea where I would start my analysis if an issue came up.. unless im just thinking all of these entail more than they actually do

I think most professors don't test those THAT heavily, most exams seem to be focused on PJ, SMJ, Venue, Notice, Erie, and Preclusion. The rest is just sort of background knowledge that you need for the heavy doctrines.

But I'd just make sure you know the trial standards, how it's applied, how to separate questions of law and fact, the appellate review standard for each, when they must be brought, etc.

thanks, i appreciate it... this is probably the stuff id pick up on if i decided to go to class :@

Duke Silver

Postby Duke Silver » Sat May 05, 2012 8:36 pm

dreakol wrote:
gdane wrote:I still have to make my way to Substantive Due process. I fell asleep in class that day.

Thanks though. Ill keep an eye out for when things are substantive due process violations now.

there is no such thing as substantive due process

(hugo black)

Also
--ImageRemoved--
Not a fan.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat May 05, 2012 8:39 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:thanks, i appreciate it... this is probably the stuff id pick up on if i decided to go to class :@

I agree they probably aren't very heavily tested. If you PM me your email I will send you my notes from the Freer lectures on it. They are very concise and should be enough to get you by.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat May 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Can anyone explain the difference between federal question and protective jurisdiction (SMJ)? I understand federal question, but I'm not certain I get protective. Does it simply refer to cases where congress says "any civil disputes arising out of this act must be brought before district court"?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat May 05, 2012 8:41 pm

3|ink wrote:Can anyone explain the difference between federal question and protective jurisdiction (SMJ)? I understand federal question, but I'm not certain I get protective. Does it simply refer to cases where congress says "any civil disputes arising out of this act must be brought before district court"?

Protective jurisdiction is pre-1331. You seem to have it down.This is the entirety of what I have in my outline about it -

Pre-1331 - “protective jurisdiction” was used by fed courts to hear state law claims, even though the claims themselves neither incorporate an original fed part nor seek to enforce rights conferred by fed laws

Osborn v Bank of the US (US 1824) Congressional act granted SMJ to fed courts in any case the bank was a party in, due to “federal ingredient” and broad interpretation of “arising under”

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat May 05, 2012 8:46 pm

JenDarby wrote:
3|ink wrote:Can anyone explain the difference between federal question and protective jurisdiction (SMJ)? I understand federal question, but I'm not certain I get protective. Does it simply refer to cases where congress says "any civil disputes arising out of this act must be brought before district court"?

Protective jurisdiction is pre-1331. You seem to have it down.This is the entirety of what I have in my outline about it -

Pre-1331 - “protective jurisdiction” was used by fed courts to hear state law claims, even though the claims themselves neither incorporate an original fed part nor seek to enforce rights conferred by fed laws

Osborn v Bank of the US (US 1824) Congressional act granted SMJ to fed courts in any case the bank was a party in, due to “federal ingredient” and broad interpretation of “arising under”

Thanks. That makes sense. I hadn't realized federal question replaced protective jurisdiction.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat May 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Amazed you have the patience for it. I get really irritated when people constantly send me questions that are just sorta obvious and basic, no level of actual processing required. Itt makes me feel like it's not that the person is struggling to understand something, but instead that the person wants me to do the legwork of reading the course material for them. When I was a TA, and someone would send me an e-mail saying "What does *Term X" mean?" and there was an entire slide titled "What is *Term X*?" and a bunch of text dedicated to the definition(in a 13-slide powerpoint), I'd just reply back "Read the lecture slides. If there's something about the slide you don't understand, feel free to ask." very curtly. If they were too lazy to read 13 lecture slides, I was surely not going to copy and paste it for them.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Sat May 05, 2012 9:51 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Amazed you have the patience for it. I get really irritated when people constantly send me questions that are just sorta obvious and basic, no level of actual processing required. Itt makes me feel like it's not that the person is struggling to understand something, but instead that the person wants me to do the legwork of reading the course material for them. When I was a TA, and someone would send me an e-mail saying "What does *Term X" mean?" and there was an entire slide titled "What is *Term X*?" and a bunch of text dedicated to the definition(in a 13-slide powerpoint), I'd just reply back "Read the lecture slides. If there's something about the slide you don't understand, feel free to ask." very curtly. If they were too lazy to read 13 lecture slides, I was surely not going to copy and paste it for them.

Geez I wish my classmates were emailing me stupid questions right now. Would make me feel much better about exams

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Sat May 05, 2012 10:29 pm

acrossthelake wrote: I get really irritated when people constantly send me questions that are just sorta obvious and basic, no level of actual processing required. Itt makes me feel like it's not that the person is struggling to understand something, but instead that the person wants me to do the legwork of reading the course material for them.

Earlier this semester, a civ-pro professor got some popularity when someone asked him/her (I forget which) "what does Rule (such and such) say?" and the professor said, in slightly kinder words, "why don't you open the freaking book, go to the index, look up the page that rule's on, go to that page, and read it for yourself?"

+respect

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat May 05, 2012 10:39 pm

JoeFish wrote:
acrossthelake wrote: I get really irritated when people constantly send me questions that are just sorta obvious and basic, no level of actual processing required. Itt makes me feel like it's not that the person is struggling to understand something, but instead that the person wants me to do the legwork of reading the course material for them.

Earlier this semester, a civ-pro professor got some popularity when someone asked him/her (I forget which) "what does Rule (such and such) say?" and the professor said, in slightly kinder words, "why don't you open the freaking book, go to the index, look up the page that rule's on, go to that page, and read it for yourself?"

+respect

Yeah I don't mind if the question is phrased like "so when Rule X says ____, does it mean Y, or does it mean Z?" Clearing up ambiguity in text or even just clearing up the difference between a covenant and equitable servitude isn't bad (unless the textbook was really clear). That's what friends are for. It's "What does Rule X say?" that's annoying.

Wart

Postby Wart » Sat May 05, 2012 11:59 pm

JoeFish wrote:

+respect

by far the most entertaining day of class 1L year. not 1, but 2 people did that about ten minutes apart.

Wart

Postby Wart » Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Freer is the man: "Burger King v. Florida: a whopper of a case *hesitant laughter*, okay fine, have it your way."

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”