1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eugenie Danglars

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu May 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Checking in, and checking out. All done here. Good luck all!

akili

Postby akili » Thu May 03, 2012 1:47 pm

I have run out of fucks to give.

Going for a run instead of more K's.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu May 03, 2012 2:07 pm

first exam of 2nd semester today and it was another disaster. got my exam writing skills perfected...but just ran out of fucking time... like an idiot. kept combing through the a gabajillion impossible multiple choice q's, spent an hour and a half on a 55 minute question and 20 minutes on a 75 min q.

fuck my life.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu May 03, 2012 2:10 pm

bartleby wrote:first exam of 2nd semester today and it was another disaster. got my exam writing skills perfected...but just ran out of fucking time... like an idiot. kept combing through the a gabajillion impossible multiple choice q's, spent an hour and a half on a 55 minute question and 20 minutes on a 75 min q.

fuck my life.

i fuckd up con law like that on Tuesday. Kicked myself on the ass for it, but hopefully i learned my lesson for the other exams coming up next week.

skw

Postby skw » Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 pm

akili wrote:I have run out of fucks to give.

Going for a run instead of more K's.

In the same boat. Just came in from a run and managed to get through my 2nd (and thankfully LAST) Ks practice exam. I am ready, and if I'm not ready, well, fuck it...exam tomorrow at 2pm. Then DONE!

Oh, wait -- just done with exams -- 8am Saturday -- the write on begins:-(

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Checking in, and checking out. All done here. Good luck all!

SO JELLY!!!!

TB12

Postby TB12 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:22 pm

Does anyone have civ pro practice exams or a link to one somewhere? Our professor has given zero

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 03, 2012 2:25 pm

looking for the best crim law supplement for straight BLL.. no fluff just rules.. and includes the MPC provisions

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu May 03, 2012 2:28 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:looking for the best crim law supplement for straight BLL.. no fluff just rules.. and includes the MPC provisions

I'm using crunchtime for this and it's pretty solid. I don't like how the MPC though is scattered throughout the sections. I'd rather have it at the end in a concise block like Dressler usually does.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 pm

4 days before the final is not the right time to to discover I've been doing Civ Pro wrong

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Guchster wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:looking for the best crim law supplement for straight BLL.. no fluff just rules.. and includes the MPC provisions

I'm using crunchtime for this and it's pretty solid. I don't like how the MPC though is scattered throughout the sections. I'd rather have it at the end in a concise block like Dressler usually does.

yeah i started reading Dressler and it does a good job with the MPC.. but it gives so much more information than I need for the purposes of my test that I figured a commercial outline would do better.. Maybe Ill go Dressler for MPC portions and crunchtime for the rest

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 03, 2012 2:34 pm

tedalbany wrote:4 days before the final is not the right time to to discover I've been doing Civ Pro wrong

ummmm... isnt out civ pro on the 9th?? if its on the 7th im no longer going to be able to sleep for the next 4 days

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 03, 2012 2:43 pm

All I know is the crim E&E is pure shit, at least for my class. What a waste of money. I'll still try to sell it to some 0L next year though.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Thu May 03, 2012 3:00 pm

anyone else considreing /self?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu May 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Sapientia wrote:anyone else considreing /self?

i just keep telling myself to relax and not stress too much... i mean ill be that exception who finds a job with mediocre grades right??..... guys... right? /cries

akili

Postby akili » Thu May 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Going for a run was a solid life choice. Got all the stress out (unfortunately, all the energy too).

When I think about giving up and just taking a nap, I think about the fact that all the other 1Ls feel like this too and if I just stick with it, maybe I can do better! It's good motivation (probably the one time the curve has motivated me towards something other than panic).

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 pm

ilovesf wrote:All I know is the crim E&E is pure shit, at least for my class. What a waste of money.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm

I thought I understood property. Time to go back to CALI.

aquasalad

Postby aquasalad » Thu May 03, 2012 4:16 pm

From an old exam I'm reviewing last minute, I want to see what you think these are: (not really worried about perpetuities/restraints on alienation, just wanting to double check the interests)

1. O grants to A for life as long as he continues to care for my dogs, then for life to the oldest child of A to graduate from law school, then to B and the heirs of her body, but if B or any of her lineal descendents should marry outside the faith, then to the heirs of A.

2. O grants to A for life, but if A should try to sell it to anyone outside the family, then to B for the rest of A's life, then to C for life if she is still unemployed, then to my great-grandchildren who have red hair. At the time of the grant, O has one great-grandchild with red hair, D.

Thanks TLS

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu May 03, 2012 5:06 pm

ahh. can't focus. so ready to be done. must find motivation.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu May 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Lasers wrote:ahh. can't focus. so ready to be done. must find motivation.

And we still have another one after tomorrow :(

vertex

Postby vertex » Thu May 03, 2012 5:22 pm

aquasalad wrote:From an old exam I'm reviewing last minute, I want to see what you think these are: (not really worried about perpetuities/restraints on alienation, just wanting to double check the interests)

1. O grants to A for life as long as he continues to care for my dogs, then for life to the oldest child of A to graduate from law school, then to B and the heirs of her body, but if B or any of her lineal descendents should marry outside the faith, then to the heirs of A.

2. O grants to A for life, but if A should try to sell it to anyone outside the family, then to B for the rest of A's life, then to C for life if she is still unemployed, then to my great-grandchildren who have red hair. At the time of the grant, O has one great-grandchild with red hair, D.

Thanks TLS

Code: Select all

O grants to A for life as long as he continues to care for my dogs, then for life to the oldest child of A to graduate from law school, then to B and the heirs of her body, but if B or any of her lineal descendents should marry outside the faith, then to the heirs of A.

This is a tough one and the interests change depending on subsequent events. But here's my analysis at the moment of conveyance, in a jurisdiction that has abolished the Destructibility of Contingent Remainders, and assuming none of A's children, if any exist, have graduated from law school:

A has a life estate determinable. [It's determinable and not executory limitation since the remaindermen are unascertained so the special condition or the natural end of the life estate will cause the property to revert to O].
A's children, if any, all have contingent remainders in life estate. [Contingent because they are unascertained. If O's reversion got triggered, their interest would become executory.]
B has vested remainder subject to divestment in fee tail.
The heirs of A have an executory interest in fee simple absolute. [This isn't a contingent remainder since it divests B's estate.]
O has a both a reversion and a possibility of reverter (although this would merge into the larger interest, the reversion) in fee simple subject to an executory limitation.

This problem is strange for me since it's the first time I've seen unascertained parties with executory interests as opposed to contingent remainders.

Code: Select all

O grants to A for life, but if A should try to sell it to anyone outside the family, then to B for the rest of A's life, then to C for life if she is still unemployed, then to my great-grandchildren who have red hair.  At the time of the grant, O has one great-grandchild with red hair, D.

This is an ambiguous conveyance, but here is one interpretation where the ambiguities were resolved in favor of O not having any future interest.
A has a (possessory estate in) life estate subject to an executory limitation.
B has an executory interest in life estate pur autre vie.
C has a contingent remainder in life estate.
D has a vested remainder subject to open in fee simple absolute.
O should not have any interest.

These are pretty tough conveyances. Also, I know you said to disregard the rule against restraints on alienation, but conveyance 2 doesn't implicate the rule since forfeiture restraints are allowed in life estate.

aquasalad

Postby aquasalad » Thu May 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks for the reply.. They were a little weird, but you confirmed what I was thinking.

You Columbia kids learn your shit kinda cray
Last edited by aquasalad on Thu May 03, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Finished torts, It sucked. After talking the exam over with everyone and writing out the exact questions I had trouble with it turns out I misunderstood some of the answer choices and chose the wrong answer. Yet for some reason ?I care less than I did last semester.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu May 03, 2012 6:06 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:ahh. can't focus. so ready to be done. must find motivation.

And we still have another one after tomorrow :(

oh, don't remind me. :|

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”