1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
brickman

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby brickman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:29 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Seminole_305 wrote:Question how exactly should I study?

How many hours? I feel pretty comfortable with the material and will be doing practice exams starting Tuesday. I have been doing Cali lessons and multiple choice for a while now. Not sure if I want/need to study from 6am until midnight everyday.

Running through the LexisNexis Q&A books for multiple choice questions, saved the E&E questions so going back through those, and working on outlines. I find that making an outline is more of a learning tool than an actual test tool.

After Thanksgiving I'm going to start on the old practice exams by my professors.

This. Although, something weird happened when I sat down and looked at a torts exam for about 4 hours, I started thinking spatially, relationally, and a bunch of other -ly's and things started to make sense.

Crim is just the easiest shit ever. "O hey, decision tree, how's it going?"

CivPro, the iterative beast...prof is forcing preclusion and erie on us in the last two weeks, the shit he writes about. Mostly my fault for not getting ahead, o well...

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:29 pm

minuit wrote:i've thus far condensed 20 classes of torts notes/cases into a 5 page outline. slowly but surely...

any advice on the benefit of CALI lessons? i haven't done any of those yet.

They should be offered through your school. I imagine if you talk to a librarian, they can set you up.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:31 pm

brickman wrote:This. Although, something weird happened when I sat down and looked at a torts exam for about 4 hours, I started thinking spatially, relationally, and a bunch of other -ly's and things started to make sense.

This is exactly what happened when I took the midterm on Torts. As I was looking at it and taking it apart, it all just started to make sense and flow logically. To the point that when I watch TV and there's some kind of harm done, I start to apply proximate cause tests, etc. As my prof said, "I can't think like a normal person anymore, I'm a lawyer."

minuit

Postby minuit » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:13 pm

crossarmant wrote:
minuit wrote:i've thus far condensed 20 classes of torts notes/cases into a 5 page outline. slowly but surely...

any advice on the benefit of CALI lessons? i haven't done any of those yet.

They should be offered through your school. I imagine if you talk to a librarian, they can set you up.

I have the CD and access... just wondering if they are worthwhile?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:25 pm

CALI lessons are the tits

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Jealous of you all. Our school doesn't participate so we don't have access to CALI lessons. Anyone know of other ways to access these things?

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:13 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Seminole_305 wrote:Question how exactly should I study?

How many hours? I feel pretty comfortable with the material and will be doing practice exams starting Tuesday. I have been doing Cali lessons and multiple choice for a while now. Not sure if I want/need to study from 6am until midnight everyday.

Running through the LexisNexis Q&A books for multiple choice questions, saved the E&E questions so going back through those, and working on outlines. I find that making an outline is more of a learning tool than an actual test tool.

After Thanksgiving I'm going to start on the old practice exams by my professors.

I do a lot of them. Sometimes they aren't consistent with the material we've covered in class. Outlining and writing little mini essays work better for me as far as studying is concerned but when I'm stuck in one place feeding the baby I can do those or listen to the Barbri lectures to atleast feel like I am acomplishing something.

minuit

Postby minuit » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:15 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:CALI lessons are the tits

Okkk, I'll have to break them out soon. How do you like UF?

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:43 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Farnsworth's contracts literally turns me on

Also, I've used a shitton of arrow's crim outline lol

Farnsworth actually has an outline for his contracts text?

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:40 pm

our school has CALI lessons, just registered. they look awesome!

anyone do the barbri 1L prep? the 1L rep at our school was plugging it, wasn't sure if it was worth dropping the deposit to get the materials. I guess they have some 7-hour civpro lesson that is supposed to be really useful?

brickman

Postby brickman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:03 pm

BarBri lectures seem like they are taking people to the cleaners. Supplements of fuggin worth are in the library FO FREE with actual valuable exams and shit and they are just gettin hosed.

CALI lessons seem okay, but they just seem like "DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS STUFF" type questions which don't really seem relevant at this point in the game.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:08 pm

brickman wrote:BarBri lectures seem like they are taking people to the cleaners. Supplements of fuggin worth are in the library FO FREE with actual valuable exams and shit and they are just gettin hosed.

CALI lessons seem okay, but they just seem like "DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS STUFF" type questions which don't really seem relevant at this point in the game.

CALI lessons helped reinforce understanding of concepts, but doesn't do crap for memorization. I can say for sure it helped for my crim law midterm. I found myself skipping and sifting through a lot of the lessons because they tend to have a lot of stuff in there I never learned.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:15 pm

brickman wrote:BarBri lectures seem like they are taking people to the cleaners. Supplements of fuggin worth are in the library FO FREE with actual valuable exams and shit and they are just gettin hosed.

I like supplements but I also like the Barbri lectures. I got them for twenty-five bucks, which I don't find terrible. Plus, I've been using the outlines and little questions to make flashcards for my closed exams. E&E's are magical but I can't listen to them on my drive home for Thanksgiving. Thanks to Barbri and a little bit of creativity, I can use that four and a half hour drive for review time...or that's the plan.

brickman

Postby brickman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:18 pm

alicrimson wrote:

I like supplements but I also like the Barbri lectures. I got them for twenty-five bucks, which I don't find terrible. Plus, I've been using the outlines and little questions to make flashcards for my closed exams. E&E's are magical but I can't listen to them on my drive home for Thanksgiving. Thanks to Barbri and a little bit of creativity, I can use that four and a half hour drive for review time...or that's the plan.

Genius idea: record yourself reciting all the relevant FRCP into itune files. put files on ipod. plug ipod into car and listen onto loop.

hahahah holy fuck, i may just do this.

Also, just the BLL from torts and crim.

Edit: actually doing this.

lawschoolproblems86

Postby lawschoolproblems86 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 pm

How do you even access CALI lectures? Whenever I go on CALI it seems like all they have are those "interactive question games" but I keep hearing about video lectures, too.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:49 pm

brickman wrote:Genius idea: record yourself reciting all the relevant FRCP into itune files. put files on ipod. plug ipod into car and listen onto loop.

Immediately after turning on recording, think "That's how I sound to other people?!" and cannot listen to yourself for any more than 3 minutes. Turn off FRCP and turn on Lamb of God... or at least, that's how my drive would go...

brickman

Postby brickman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:02 am

crossarmant wrote:
brickman wrote:Genius idea: record yourself reciting all the relevant FRCP into itune files. put files on ipod. plug ipod into car and listen onto loop.

Immediately after turning on recording, think "That's how I sound to other people?!" and cannot listen to yourself for any more than 3 minutes. Turn off FRCP and turn on Lamb of God... or at least, that's how my drive would go...

No man, equally tough music= Gilbert and Sullivans Pirates of Penzance!

bendtheslurry

Postby bendtheslurry » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:58 am

alicrimson wrote:

Seriously, this is almost as bad as when you determined what the fun part of studying was...

If you really do this, you still need to pack a lunch.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 am

Just submitted my final memo... feels sooooo good to be done with LRW for the semester. Now unfortunately I need to catch up on all of the subject i've ignored for the last week... I can't believe we only have two weeks left of class. :shock:

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:11 am

bostonlawchick wrote:Just submitted my final memo... feels sooooo good to be done with LRW for the semester. Now unfortunately I need to catch up on all of the subject i've ignored for the last week... I can't believe we only have two weeks left of class. :shock:

Grats. Yeah it's crazy. I am officially terrified for finals, and have no idea what to do.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 am

ph14 wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:Just submitted my final memo... feels sooooo good to be done with LRW for the semester. Now unfortunately I need to catch up on all of the subject i've ignored for the last week... I can't believe we only have two weeks left of class. :shock:

Grats. Yeah it's crazy. I am officially terrified for finals, and have no idea what to do.

Thanks! I've really begun to value making schedules and lists, even if I don't always follow them. I think it helps me calm down when I break down my tasks into bits, it's less overwhelming.

I broke down each course (thank God I only have three...) into sections by the syllabus and then made a checklist of each thing I had to do for each section. Condense book/class notes, read supplement section, create outline, create checklist, do CALI lesson, etc. I've been focusing on doing one section a day, so I should have it done before the last day of class, and then I'll use that time before exams to do practice tests and really get familiar with my outlines.

Crossing my fingers.

brickman

Postby brickman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:05 pm

how many practice exams you taking for each class?

3?

i'm thinking crim- 3
civpro-3
torts-3

though the torts one's look like they don't have model answers so i'm going to have to do the fucking E&Es.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:21 pm

brickman wrote:how many practice exams you taking for each class?

3?

i'm thinking crim- 3
civpro-3
torts-3

though the torts one's look like they don't have model answers so i'm going to have to do the fucking E&Es.

This is why I wish I started studying way earlier. With luck, I'll be able to get in 1 practice exam for each of 4 classes.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 pm

3?

i'm thinking crim- 3
civpro-3
torts-3

probly 5 per class, and I have 4 classes so 20 practice exams. I'll basically be done studying my outlines in the next couple of days, and starting Wednesday I'll be doing 1 test per day, while also reviewing my outline for that class for a couple of hours beforehand.

For torts and contracts I'm going to have to take other professors' exams, but hopefully they should be ok.

I don't really see what else I should be doing with my time between Thanksgiving and early-mid december

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 pm

3?

i'm thinking crim- 3
civpro-3
torts-3

I'm taking three each for Torts, Contracts, and Property. Thankfully each professor provided three with answers, so hopefully that will be good enough.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”