1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crossarmant

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Thanks transfer.

One last question, which is kinda sad:

To be unconscionable, the K needs to be Substantively [and / or] Procedurally unconscionable. And or Or?

I've been going through the semester thinking it was And, but apparently I'm wrong?

"And" is right MOST of the time. However, if it's so over the top in regard to its conduct then it can be OR.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue May 01, 2012 12:39 pm

rocon7383 wrote:studied so much less than i did last semester. I also hate law school and everything about it, kinda. So I think knowing that i'm leaving after the year hasn't helped my fear-of-finals cram sessions. They're more like a series of bro-sessions with some hornbooks meandering through here and there.

You actually decided to drop out? I remember you talking about it earlier but it's concrete now?

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:42 pm

crossarmant wrote:

To be unconscionable, the K needs to be Substantively [and / or] Procedurally unconscionable. And or Or?

I've been going through the semester thinking it was And, but apparently I'm wrong?

"And" is right MOST of the time. However, if it's so over the top in regard to its conduct then it can be OR.

We were taught that unconscionability was more of a sliding scale. If it's a "little bit" procedural and a little bit substantive, that's not unconscionable. If it's "significantly" procedural and significantly substantive, then it is. Then there's the huge gray area of a little of one and a lot of the other and it's really just a factual question. We read Gatton v. T-Mobile (152 Cal.App.4th 571) which has good discussions of both types, and the court there found that a little procedural and a lot of substantive made the no arbitration and no class actions clauses unconscionable.

Hope this helps.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm

crossarmant wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:studied so much less than i did last semester. I also hate law school and everything about it, kinda. So I think knowing that i'm leaving after the year hasn't helped my fear-of-finals cram sessions. They're more like a series of bro-sessions with some hornbooks meandering through here and there.

You actually decided to drop out? I remember you talking about it earlier but it's concrete now?

yeah im leaving. Figured I'll just finish the year.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue May 01, 2012 12:48 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:

yeah im leaving. Figured I'll just finish the year.

Can't say I blame your inattentiveness. If I were dropping out, I'd probably play "Grade Jesus" too, taking the F so as to redeem the sins of the others on the curve.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue May 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Just finished my Property exam. The professor obviously just "cut and paste" the exam. A lot of questions/answers didn't make grammatical sense. One time he even said something along the lines of "A conveys a parcel to B with restrictions. D's remaining property had no..." :lol:

Well, onto Con Law.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Sapientia wrote:
merc280 wrote:mind is so spaced out right now. Just can't get myself to study, way too many things to worry about. Next test thurs, thinking I should just take the next few hours off.

how was the prop exam?

I think it was way better than last semester. I know I got a few questions wrong right off the bat, but then again other people in my class were also super confident so Im thinking I probably just hit median. As of right now it could go either way.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:53 pm

some people claim they got accepted from a T4 to a T2 in the same general region when they were only top 40%. im thinking they either had tons of work experience or a connection. Still it makes me think its possible even if this semester doesn't go to plan.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Any unconscionable problem would probably be pretty heavy public policy. And/or seems right. Either the K is unconscionable in what it is K-ing for (Sub.) or it is unconscionable in how it is formed and constructed or how it is to be conducted (Proc.).

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Tue May 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Can someone explain the Rule of Convenience to me? (Property)

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:09 pm

is it a horrible idea to work a non law job part time in addition to my public interest job? The PI job ends at 4PM, since its at city hall, so I figured I could work from 6-10PM somewhere else.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:14 pm

T MINUS 1 HOUR until Con Law

Let the fun begin.

akili

Postby akili » Tue May 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Just got mauled by Crim Law.

That was insanely brutal, but at least everyone thought it sucked. I have no idea how I did, which is especially concerning because I want to do Crim for a living...

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue May 01, 2012 2:22 pm

bk1 wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I've officially studied more for finals than I did last semester, and my first final isn't til the 7th. I guess I'll find out if effort really translates to results in my case. If I do worse somehow, I will be left to presume I'm better doing it live and will return to minimal effort.

I have officially studied far less for finals this semester than last semester.

FML

I'm not sure if I've done more or less. Its just been different. Last semester there were tons of practice exams with available answers and the tests were very elemental. This semester there are few practice exams and even fewer model answers. Plus, 2/3 exams aren't standard issue spotters and are take homes. I'm done two and feel bad but I'm trying to remember that I did bad and thought I failed after the last semester too. This time its not failure I'm afraid of as much as writing mediocre answers accompanied by a crap one on each test and netting straight B-'s. I mean, I suppose life goes on and all we need to do is focus on doing the best we can and just let stuff lie.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue May 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Contracts is over. It wasnt too bad, but some of the multiple choice questions were veryyy tricky. The essay was reasonable, but toward the end I just started throwing the kitchen sink at the questions. I'm pretty sure an extra page on my exam was just me citing UCC provisions. In a relevant context of course. Haha.

Crim Pro is the next exam, but Im going to work on Con law today and leave Crim Pro for tomorrow and Thursday and Friday morning. I reckon Con law is much tougher because its so damn vague. At least crim pro is pretty straightforward.

Good luck to anyone that has a test today!

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue May 01, 2012 3:36 pm

TTRansfer wrote:

Any unconscionable problem would probably be pretty heavy public policy. And/or seems right. Either the K is unconscionable in what it is K-ing for (Sub.) or it is unconscionable in how it is formed and constructed or how it is to be conducted (Proc.).

the way we were taught, unconscionably requires a threshold level of both substantive/procedural unconscionably. apparently it's a sliding scale where the more there is of one side, the less necessary it is for the other.

also, you should just ask your professor to make sure what he wants.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Tue May 01, 2012 3:41 pm

There is no emoticon or gif to convey how I feel about this semester.

I have not adequately prepared my anus for this round of exams.

istara

Postby istara » Tue May 01, 2012 4:02 pm

2 down.. 3 to go.

That exam was way too easy. I feed terrible about it :x
Oh well.. conlaw, it's you and me til friday..

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue May 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Guchster wrote:
tedalbany wrote:I know this was posted last time around, but reposting for Spring exams ..

Law professors grading exams:
--ImageRemoved--

(Too big for imgur, don't want to resize... if it doesn't appear then I just don't care. Copy and paste it in the URL box or something)

this is the best gif I think I've ever seen

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue May 01, 2012 4:27 pm

I just was anally penetrated by my property final. It was the most ridiculous final I have ever seen, and of course the professor asked questions about stuff he didn't teach about, wasn't in the text book, and wasn't in the supplement he wrote. I think he designed it so no one would finish, but I was one of the few who was able to finish. TLS definitely helped me out regarding the conveyance questions, so I feel solid about that. Not solid about any of the essays or multiple choice questions.

Multiple people kept taking the exam after time was called. One guy was still going 5 minutes later when everyone was already packed up and filtering out. A few of my classmates and I were just standing there, staring at him. The proctor was surprised when he turned it in so late when everyone else had brought theirs forward a while before. As much as this annoys me, I figure he didn't do too well if he was red faced, sweaty, and scribbling stuff after time was called. He can help the curve out with his grade.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:30 pm

After randomly running into people while walking to my car from the library or meeting them in the restroom I'm beginning to feel bad about my property exam. They claim there was a ton to talk about on the essay, and I only managed to find a few issues in the last half of it, and even though I know I could have talked more about it I feel good about it in general.

The only thing still allowing me to think positively is how a majority claim to have done super well, but when grades come out it shows that they were just overly confident. So long story short, my classmates don't know how to gauge their exam performance, or just seem overly confident to mess with other people. Either way its like Jay-Z said "On to the next one".

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Jessuf wrote:I just was anally penetrated by my property final. It was the most ridiculous final I have ever seen, and of course the professor asked questions about stuff he didn't teach about, wasn't in the text book, and wasn't in the supplement he wrote. I think he designed it so no one would finish, but I was one of the few who was able to finish. TLS definitely helped me out regarding the conveyance questions, so I feel solid about that. Not solid about any of the essays or multiple choice questions.

Multiple people kept taking the exam after time was called. One guy was still going 5 minutes later when everyone was already packed up and filtering out. A few of my classmates and I were just standing there, staring at him. The proctor was surprised when he turned it in so late when everyone else had brought theirs forward a while before. As much as this annoys me, I figure he didn't do too well if he was red faced, sweaty, and scribbling stuff after time was called. He can help the curve out with his grade.

We had a guy like that in our torts final last semester, who just randomly walked out multiple times during the exam without telling the proctor, and since people assumed he was an idiot anyway they didn't say anything. Turns out he's top 5% of his class. Kinda pissed alot of people off when they found out he made an A on that exam.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue May 01, 2012 5:08 pm

need MOAR torts practice exams :(

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:11 pm

dreakol wrote:need MOAR torts practice exams :(

did you already do the ones on here?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qh1o9a71udvwhxn/y6aoPlLez-

Shammis