1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11747
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:04 pm

RedHouse1967 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
RedHouse1967 wrote:So time definitely got away from me in outlining for one class.

Assuming sack-up and do both isn't an option, is it a better idea to:

A) Use an old outline from the class. Go through it with the supplement/casebook to make adjustments and corrections. Have time to take practice exams; or

B) Make my own outline from scratch and maybe forgo taking any more practice exams.

is the test open or closed book?


Open book

Then I wouldn't write my own outline from scratch, the most helpful part of that is it helps you memorize. I'd go with option A.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:04 pm

sknight323 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
sknight323 wrote:The easiest way to do the RAP is the create, kill, count method.

Get all the lives in being at the time of the conveyance
create a hypothetical life that fills the class, e.g., A's child
KILL everyone EXCEPT for the hypothetical being
see if it vests within 21 years to the hypothetical being

With that said . . . I've got a tough future interest here that I need some help classifying.


O to "A for life, then to B as long as he remains unmarried, then to carlos if he survives Ben, but if Carlos does not survive, then to my grandchildren then living."


I'm confused. .. the interplay between B and C is messing me up. Any help?


A has a life estate. B has a remainder in a life estate subject to an executory limitation. C has a vested remainder subject to total divestment should he die before Ben. O's grandchildren have an alternative contingent remainder on the condition precedent that Carlos dies before ben.



Could B have a vested remainder subject to divestment because he could divested of his interest before it becomes possessory?

No. The marriage termination is invalid for public policy, so B and C have the same as listed above.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3878
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Contracts question:

Duty to modify in good faith after a changed circumstance.

So, I see UCC 2-209 comment 2 saying that where changed circumstances make your contract a losing one, you have a good faith reason for seeking a modification. (is this a correct reading, is that all?)

But where exactly does it say that the non-losing party has a duty to re-negotiate in good faith to try and help the losing party?

And how far does that duty extend? How much of the losing party's loss does the winner have to take in good faith?

1) If it is possible for both parties to still have a winning K, even if only by very little, does the 'winner' have a duty to accept that modification?

2) If it is impossible for both parties to re-negotiate into a mutually winning K, does 'winner' have a duty to at least take his profits down to near zero?

Pretty sure the answer to both is no, but just looking for a little clarification on this.

User avatar
Duke Silver
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
sknight323 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
sknight323 wrote:The easiest way to do the RAP is the create, kill, count method.

Get all the lives in being at the time of the conveyance
create a hypothetical life that fills the class, e.g., A's child
KILL everyone EXCEPT for the hypothetical being
see if it vests within 21 years to the hypothetical being

With that said . . . I've got a tough future interest here that I need some help classifying.


O to "A for life, then to B as long as he remains unmarried, then to carlos if he survives Ben, but if Carlos does not survive, then to my grandchildren then living."


I'm confused. .. the interplay between B and C is messing me up. Any help?


A has a life estate. B has a remainder in a life estate subject to an executory limitation. C has a vested remainder subject to total divestment should he die before Ben. O's grandchildren have an alternative contingent remainder on the condition precedent that Carlos dies before ben.

Could B have a vested remainder subject to divestment because he could divested of his interest before it becomes possessory?

No. The marriage termination is invalid for public policy, so B and C have the same as listed above.



Edit: Isn't C's interest an executory interest, not a vested remainder?

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
Edit: Isn't C's interest an executory interest, not a vested remainder?


It's not clear (I've been editing my posts). C and O's grandchildren may have executory interests as well. Or the life estate should be called a determinable life estate, and there's a possibility of reverter in O.


A has a life estate, B has a vested remainder in a defeasible life estate (subject to an executory limitation), C has a contingent remainder in fee simple AND an executory interest cutting B's estate short in the case B marries, O's grandchildren have an alternative contingent remainder on the condition that C predeceases B AND an executory interest that cut's B's estate short when B marries after C has died.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12525
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Just did an issue spotting exercise for past property exam essay questions. I have learned that I will probably only be able to get half of the points maximum as I keep missing really weird main issues like riparian rights, which we covered for maybe 30 seconds this semester.

Oh well. Come 1pm, I will be freeeeeeeeee of property

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12525
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Oh sad. My favorite recent thread to lurk during my studying breaks is now locked.

Time to look at gifs instead!

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Jessuf wrote:Oh sad. My favorite recent thread to lurk during my studying breaks is now locked.

Time to look at gifs instead!

Dude, I'm surprised that thread lasted as long as it did.

Second...same property time frame as you. Well, I'll be done at 12:30. Cannot wait to be FREE of property

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Sapientia » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Con law question: If a goatsucker is barred from becoming president on teckschualist grounds, what guvernment purpose is being served?

LULZ

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby tedalbany » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 pm

And I'm sick. Not the best time for this.

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby merc280 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 pm

mind is so spaced out right now. Just can't get myself to study, way too many things to worry about. Next test thurs, thinking I should just take the next few hours off.

User avatar
Sapientia
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Sapientia » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 pm

merc280 wrote:mind is so spaced out right now. Just can't get myself to study, way too many things to worry about. Next test thurs, thinking I should just take the next few hours off.

how was the prop exam?

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Fuck fuck fuck ConLaw

3 hour exam.
Part One: 6 short answers questions closed book, 90 minutes.
I crushed it, I knew everything, tied it in with case law and just feel like I nailed everything you could on it.

Part Two: 2 Essay questions spanning 5 pages, 90 minutes as well.
This was such bullshit, it should've taken 4 hours to do these essays. He threw in all sorts of little things, red herrings, and just piled on all sorts of shit in some kind of bullshit race-horse exercise to spot and explain everything. Gah!

I can only hope the curve is in my favor and that the first part is weighted more heavily.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 pm

+1 above with the addition of civ pro. I think I got wrecked. We had a question about choice of forum with a foreign company and I analyzed under 1406 instead of 1404. I'm super bummed. I didn't think venue would be on there and it was. My gpa is going so far down it is not even funny. :(

thesteelers
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby thesteelers » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Con law question on Executive Privilege: when do you not need to invoke executive privilege in order to keep your information private? In Cheney v. US (energy task force case), he didn't need to invoke exec privilege...because it was a civil suit instead of a criminal suit, or because it was a broad, general request instead of a narrow request? Is that the only reason or am I missing something?

What other situations would secrecy vs exec privilege apply in?

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 pm

alicrimson wrote:+1 above with the addition of civ pro. I think I got wrecked. We had a question about choice of forum with a foreign company and I analyzed under 1406 instead of 1404. I'm super bummed. I didn't think venue would be on there and it was. My gpa is going so far down it is not even funny. :(


What I'm most upset about is that I fucking KNEW so much. Like I had my outline memorized and I could've nailed everything and used analogies from the cases, etc. except my professor just made a shitty exam. I did his past ones and they were great and I was breezing through them, spotting everything, able to articulate; this one was just a solid "WTF?"

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12525
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:30 pm

I've noticed that my property professor likes to switch up the topics he focuses each year. I'm not sure why. I got an outline from a girl who got an A+ on last year's exam, hoping it would really help me strengthen mine, and her class didn't cover half of the stuff my class focused on and vice versa. He has two practice exams online, and I ran into the same issue. I didn't know 75% of the answers because we never covered them. Plus he didn't post the answers online. :| I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Time to Tylenol PM it!

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:51 pm

From Reddit:

"How Professors Feel Giving Out Finals"
Image

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby tedalbany » Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 am

I know this was posted last time around, but reposting for Spring exams ..

Law professors grading exams:
--ImageRemoved--


(Too big for imgur, don't want to resize... if it doesn't appear then I just don't care. Copy and paste it in the URL box or something)

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TTTLS » Tue May 01, 2012 12:09 am

Study session has devolved into a folie à deux.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11747
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Tue May 01, 2012 12:16 am

this semester is sooooo much worse than last semester. during my final today i actually thought about stabbing myself with the pencil so i wouldn't have to keep taking it. ugh.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby bartleby » Tue May 01, 2012 12:49 am

i blow at writing exams.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Guchster » Tue May 01, 2012 12:51 am

tedalbany wrote:I know this was posted last time around, but reposting for Spring exams ..

Law professors grading exams:
--ImageRemoved--


(Too big for imgur, don't want to resize... if it doesn't appear then I just don't care. Copy and paste it in the URL box or something)


this is the best gif I think I've ever seen

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TTTLS » Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 am

Guchster wrote:
tedalbany wrote:I know this was posted last time around, but reposting for Spring exams ..

Law professors grading exams:
--ImageRemoved--


(Too big for imgur, don't want to resize... if it doesn't appear then I just don't care. Copy and paste it in the URL box or something)


this is the best gif I think I've ever seen
Makes me miss Inc. :(

Inc, please come back. We miss you.

User avatar
tedalbany
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby tedalbany » Tue May 01, 2012 1:04 am

TTTLS wrote:
Guchster wrote:
tedalbany wrote:I know this was posted last time around, but reposting for Spring exams ..

Law professors grading exams:
--ImageRemoved--


(Too big for imgur, don't want to resize... if it doesn't appear then I just don't care. Copy and paste it in the URL box or something)


this is the best gif I think I've ever seen
Makes me miss Inc. :(

Inc, please come back. We miss you.


Are you serious? I thought you were Inc this whole time. Or maybe you are and are just being sarcastic.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gadzooks, hollamcholla1, j431e782 and 15 guests