1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 am

shock259 wrote:BURNING OUT

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 am

I somehow managed to get work done today despite following that d00k thread.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:37 am

Life is depressing when my idea of a "break" from studying property is TLS and the . thread

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:04 am

Missed some really good basketball games today. Can't wait to finish finals and veg out for a few days in front of the TV watching basketball all day

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:28 am

...and having even taken first exam yet so....

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:58 am

First exam this morning. I know it's just the first, but I can't deal with this sort of thing anymore. Leaning toward not coming back next year.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:50 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 am

cinephile wrote:First exam this morning. I know it's just the first, but I can't deal with this sort of thing anymore. Leaning toward not coming back next year.

what can't you deal with?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:10 am

I'm studying for Civ Pro II, and I'm having trouble getting my head around res judicata and collateral estoppel issues. Any good summaries/outlines/lectures anyone knows of?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 am

con law in an hour. ahhhh.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 am

con law professor recommends i read up on cispa.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:31 am

property final at 1pm. didn't study much after coming home last night. I just have to figure out a way to not freak out when I see a fact pattern. Any tips on how to reduce the lag from reading the fact pattern to actually starting the writing?

leefair123

Postby leefair123 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:33 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I'm studying for Civ Pro II, and I'm having trouble getting my head around res judicata and collateral estoppel issues. Any good summaries/outlines/lectures anyone knows of?

Barbri lectures had clear concise examples on it

leefair123

Postby leefair123 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:34 am

leg reg at one efffff I hate leg reg

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:37 am

leefair123 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:I'm studying for Civ Pro II, and I'm having trouble getting my head around res judicata and collateral estoppel issues. Any good summaries/outlines/lectures anyone knows of?

Barbri lectures had clear concise examples on it

mmkay thanks. I wasn't sure if it was worth wading through or if it's the stuff we covered, but i'll see.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 am

Hooray, crippling anxiety!

akili

Postby akili » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 am

Hannibal wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

istara

Postby istara » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:54 am

merc280 wrote:Any tips on how to reduce the lag from reading the fact pattern to actually starting the writing?

Write the headings for what you're going to talk about (list of issues), then go back and fill them in. Reduced lag, increased organization. I say that as someone who did really well last semester, but will probably fail this one, (ughughughugh), so.. grains of salt, all around!

And !@#$ immigration law and the INA... kindergartners could have written something more coherent. Exam 2 of 5 at 9 am.. 25 hours to go!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:04 am

Yet another property question:

O conveys to A for life, then to A's eldest son for his life, then to B; but if liquor is ever sold on the premises before B is to take possession, then to C. (At the time of conveyance, A has no children).

Answer: A has a present possessory life estate. A's eldest son has a contingent remainder for life. B has an indefeasibly vested remainder. That remainder is held by B in fee simple subject to an executory interest in C.

So I understand A's, A's eldest's, and C's interests. However, why is B's interest indefeasibly vested? It looks like a vested interest subject to complete defeasance (or total divestment, whatever your school calls it). Does it have to do with the semi-colon? The book says B is ascertainable and that there is no condition precedent to his taking, thus he has an indefeasibly vested remainder. I thought the "but if" clause would signify a condition subsequent??? And that B's remainder would therefore not be indefeasibly vested because maybe liquor will be sold on premises, thus his interest will be divested by C???

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:27 am

Jessuf wrote:Yet another property question:

O conveys to A for life, then to A's eldest son for his life, then to B; but if liquor is ever sold on the premises before B is to take possession, then to C. (At the time of conveyance, A has no children).

Answer: A has a present possessory life estate. A's eldest son has a contingent remainder for life. B has an indefeasibly vested remainder. That remainder is held by B in fee simple subject to an executory interest in C.

So I understand A's, A's eldest's, and C's interests. However, why is B's interest indefeasibly vested? It looks like a vested interest subject to complete defeasance (or total divestment, whatever your school calls it). Does it have to do with the semi-colon? The book says B is ascertainable and that there is no condition precedent to his taking, thus he has an indefeasibly vested remainder. I thought the "but if" clause would signify a condition subsequent??? And that B's remainder would therefore not be indefeasibly vested because maybe liquor will be sold on premises, thus his interest will be divested by C???

This might be irrelevant to your question, but that second clause is struck out in violation of RAP, right? Cause liquor can be sold on the premises 22 years after A dies but before A's son dies (before B takes over).

akili

Postby akili » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:58 am

I'm struggling a bit with accomplice liability mens rea

For Conduct elements the accomplice has to have purpose/intent
For Result and Circumstance I have that the accomplice must have the same mens rea as the principal

So if the accomplice intended for the principal to break in to a house, but the principal was crazy intoxicated and didn't know it was the wrong house...can the accomplice be found liable? (the result was the accidental death of the accomplice's friend)

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:32 pm

first 24 hour take home done...and I now know my procrastination knows no bounds. Say that 5 times fast. I also know I'll be sitting for exams from now on if possible.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm guessing the rationale is that once B gets it, he'll have fee simple. The condition subsequent (liquor selling) won't matter anymore, it only matters if liquor is sold before he takes possession, so his future interest is an indefeasibly vested remainder (C is an ascertainable person, there is no condition precedent), it waits patiently for A to die, then for A's eldest son to die. If C divests, he would divest A or A's eldest son's interest, but only IF liquor is sold on the premises. I think C would have a shifting executory interest.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:38 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:

This might be irrelevant to your question, but that second clause is struck out in violation of RAP, right? Cause
liquor can be sold on the premises 22 years after A dies but before A's son dies (before B takes over).

I think that's completely relevant. If you strike it, it's easier to understand why B has a indefeasibly vested remainder.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 pm

hijodehombre wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:

This might be irrelevant to your question, but that second clause is struck out in violation of RAP, right? Cause
liquor can be sold on the premises 22 years after A dies but before A's son dies (before B takes over).

I think that's completely relevant. If you strike it, it's easier to understand why B has a indefeasibly vested remainder.

No, I only apply RAP if my professor expressly asks me to. I will probably give up on this one.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”