1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crossarmant

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:12 pm

ilovesf wrote:I took property, torts and civpro this semester and property was actually my favorite class. There are really boring areas (future estates, blerg), but in general, I really liked it... this is probably because my professor is a hot 35-40 year old belgian guy. I take contracts, crim law, conn law and one statutory class of my choice (immigration) next semester... I am not looking forward to Ks at all.

Torts has actually been my favorite. I feel like it just makes the most transparent sense; it's simple and easy to visualize for me. I'm oddly looking forward to Criminal Law, maybe it's all of The Wire I've been watching but I'm pretty psyched about it.

Side Note: Who here is planning on keeping their casebooks after this semester? I imagine the resale value will be next to nill, but they make nice looking additions to a household bookshelf even if they are entirely useless.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:13 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I took property, torts and civpro this semester and property was actually my favorite class. There are really boring areas (future estates, blerg), but in general, I really liked it... this is probably because my professor is a hot 35-40 year old belgian guy. I take contracts, crim law, conn law and one statutory class of my choice (immigration) next semester... I am not looking forward to Ks at all.

Torts has actually been my favorite. I feel like it just makes the most transparent sense; it's simple and easy to visualize for me. I'm oddly looking forward to Criminal Law, maybe it's all of The Wire I've been watching but I'm pretty psyched about it.

Side Note: Who here is planning on keeping their casebooks after this semester? I imagine the resale value will be next to nill, but they make nice looking additions to a household bookshelf even if they are entirely useless.

I'm getting rid of them if at all possible.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:17 pm

i wrote too much in my books for them to have any resale value..

plus i like the commentary that me and a few of my friends have.. oh the memories of 1L

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:18 pm

crossarmant wrote:

I love books and the way they look, so I will probably keep them like a total nerd.

As to the K's hate I love, love K's. By far my favorite subject. But the only class I really don't like is Crim. Torts and Civ Pro I like as well, just not as much as K's.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:23 pm

crossarmant wrote:

I started out loving torts, but we did product liability at the end and that was just so boring for me I totally zoned out of that class. I'm also so excited so crim law! And I love the wire. I went to UG in bmore so I have a special place in my heart for that show.

I'm going to keep my casebooks because I'm a hoarder and I'm weirdly sentimental about things like this.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Weirdly enjoy PR. I like contracts the least, but I think that's because I'm having the most trouble with it. Crim is REALLY interesting and makes me wish prosecutors made more money, cause I wouldn't mind doing it.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:26 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Weirdly enjoy PR. I like contracts the least, but I think that's because I'm having the most trouble with it. Crim is REALLY interesting and makes me wish prosecutors made more money, cause I wouldn't mind doing it.

PR? Professional Responsibility?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:35 pm

ph14 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Weirdly enjoy PR. I like contracts the least, but I think that's because I'm having the most trouble with it. Crim is REALLY interesting and makes me wish prosecutors made more money, cause I wouldn't mind doing it.

PR? Professional Responsibility?

Yeah, we take it as a 1L to prepare us for the shingles we'll be hanging since no one will have a job

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Does anyone else feel like Torts is pretty much "Final Destination: The Law School Class"? It's like a whole semester of ways to die or get paralyzed. Reading Siegler v. Kuhlman now, and a 17 year old girl turns a corner while driving at night, runs into an unlit leaking gas tanker and it explodes and kills her... This whole class makes me want to hide inside forever.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:
crossarmant wrote:

I started out loving torts, but we did product liability at the end and that was just so boring for me I totally zoned out of that class. I'm also so excited so crim law! And I love the wire. I went to UG in bmore so I have a special place in my heart for that show.

I'm going to keep my casebooks because I'm a hoarder and I'm weirdly sentimental about things like this.

So far I've found that the easiest to understand to hardest is;
Torts ---> Crim --------> Civ Pro -------------------> Ks
(edited to reflect degree of hardness... that didn't come out quite right)

Also, my crim professor, who is my favorite, teaches a seminar on The Wire. :D

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:13 pm

This may seem like a really stupid question, but does anyone have any flashcard advice for Contracts? I'm planning to use flashcards to study because the exam is closed book, but I haven't used them since high school and even then I used them to study vocabulary words (english on one side, foreign language on the other) and nothing else. How the heck do I setup flashcards in law school (and Ks specifically)?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:14 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
crossarmant wrote:

So far I've found that the easiest to understand to hardest is;
Torts ---> Crim --------> Civ Pro -------------------> Ks
(edited to reflect degree of hardness... that didn't come out quite right)

Also, my crim professor, who is my favorite, teaches a seminar on The Wire. :D

What school are you at?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:22 pm

ph14 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:Also, my crim professor, who is my favorite, teaches a seminar on The Wire. :D

What school are you at?

GW

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:27 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
ph14 wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:Also, my crim professor, who is my favorite, teaches a seminar on The Wire. :D

What school are you at?

GW

Close enough to Bodymore that it'd be relevant.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:32 pm

SilverE2 wrote:This may seem like a really stupid question, but does anyone have any flashcard advice for Contracts? I'm planning to use flashcards to study because the exam is closed book, but I haven't used them since high school and even then I used them to study vocabulary words (english on one side, foreign language on the other) and nothing else. How the heck do I setup flashcards in law school (and Ks specifically)?

I'm in the same boat. Haven't made flashcards in 10+ years, but I'll be making them for my outlines, I think. I'm planning on just putting down a principle on one side (e.g. forum non conveniens or conspiracy) and all of the elements or talking points on the other side. Just so that I can have everything perfectly memorized. I'm open to suggestions.

brickman

Postby brickman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:56 pm

I feel like i'm behind, I haven't finished all my reading for the semester....

Is everyone else done?

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:02 pm

brickman wrote:I feel like i'm behind, I haven't finished all my reading for the semester....

Is everyone else done?

I'm not, though I am behind. I don't even have outlines done. I've been working all weekend on Ks. I'm just going to read as we go along, adding to the outline after class.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:06 pm

halp! i need motivation to study. all i want to do is watch football all day.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:halp! i need motivation to study. all i want to do is watch football all day.

Well it's a good thing that football is only on TV on Sundays. And Saturdays. And Mondays. And Thursdays. Shit.

Seminole_305

Postby Seminole_305 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Question how exactly should I study?

How many hours? I feel pretty comfortable with the material and will be doing practice exams starting Tuesday. I have been doing Cali lessons and multiple choice for a while now. Not sure if I want/need to study from 6am until midnight everyday.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:17 pm

SilverE2 wrote:This may seem like a really stupid question, but does anyone have any flashcard advice for Contracts? I'm planning to use flashcards to study because the exam is closed book, but I haven't used them since high school and even then I used them to study vocabulary words (english on one side, foreign language on the other) and nothing else. How the heck do I setup flashcards in law school (and Ks specifically)?

Depends on your prof, yeah?

I know for mine that wouldn't make much sense.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Seminole_305 wrote:Question how exactly should I study?

How many hours? I feel pretty comfortable with the material and will be doing practice exams starting Tuesday. I have been doing Cali lessons and multiple choice for a while now. Not sure if I want/need to study from 6am until midnight everyday.

Including outlining (which for me isn't much, cause I'm really just updating old ones - don't have time to make my own :( ), I'm going to spend maybe 35 hrs studying for each of 4 exams. I really wish I would have planned out my study schedule way earlier (this also fucked me on the LSAT). Now I know for next time at least.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Wrote three mini essays today for Contracts:
One one a 2-207/2-201 conglomoration, one on parol evidence, and one on restitution. Did some old multiples from my Ks prof too. Did fairly well. Don't feel confident, though.

Property is Ok. I like estates and future interests.

I need to buckle down and do some stuff for torts. It's my favorite class so I'm overly confident. I realized I know what res ipsa loquitur is but need to practice explaining it.

Have an old Civ Pro exam I've been meaning to do but my kids won't give me a break. Good thing they're cute, espcially the baby! :D

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:20 pm

Seminole_305 wrote:Question how exactly should I study?

Running through the LexisNexis Q&A books for multiple choice questions, saved the E&E questions so going back through those, and working on outlines. I find that making an outline is more of a learning tool than an actual test tool.

After Thanksgiving I'm going to start on the old practice exams by my professors.

minuit

Postby minuit » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:27 pm

i've thus far condensed 20 classes of torts notes/cases into a 5 page outline. slowly but surely...

any advice on the benefit of CALI lessons? i haven't done any of those yet.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”