1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gdane

Diamond

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Post by gdane » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:25 am

Man I loved talking about my exams! The second they were over I went around talking to everyone just to see what I spotted that other people didnt.

I did feel bad last semester though when I made my friend realize that he completely missed a gigantic issue. He was sad after that.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:36 am

gdane wrote:Man I loved talking about my exams! The second they were over I went around talking to everyone just to see what I spotted that other people didnt.

I did feel bad last semester though when I made my friend realize that he completely missed a gigantic issue. He was sad after that.
You can't be serious.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:43 am

I need a property supplement that is REALLY heavy on policy. Like, I don't need doctrine. At all. Just policy policy policy.

Any thoughts?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 am

Civ Pro Question regarding Erie Doctrine.

Can you only do Erie analysis when there is diversity jurisdiction? I understand the rational behind this, but what happens if A (Delaware) sues B (Delaware) in federal court under 1338 for patent infringement and B countersues under a state tort claim? Would those state tort claims be decided under federal or state law?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 am

Closed book Property in two hours. Guess I'm ready as I'll ever be.

As to listening to people talk about exams, I keep my sound cancelling headphones in my bag and throw them on right after I turn in the exam and crank up some music until I get home. I don't like letting people psych me out after an exam is over. That said, I psych myself out more than anyone else ever could.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 am

Jessuf wrote:I'm totally cool with abstract talk like "MAN, THAT ESSAY WAS TRICKSY." I just hate the specific "what did you write? I wrote this....." My friend remembered every single multiple choice question and the possible answer choices and quizzed me to see what answer I put. I just wanted to drink :|
Drinking makes everything better.
How does one remember that stuff? I feel like someone burned a hole in my brain during the time I took the LSAT, because I remember nothing about that test.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:59 am

Extension_Cord wrote:Civ Pro Question regarding Erie Doctrine.

Can you only do Erie analysis when there is diversity jurisdiction? I understand the rational behind this, but what happens if A (Delaware) sues B (Delaware) in federal court under 1338 for patent infringement and B countersues under a state tort claim? Would those state tort claims be decided under federal or state law?
That's a choice of law question, not erie. The answer is probably that the fed city would fold in the state charges,.but this is the question that confined half of civ pro ii, so you probably don't need to worry.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:04 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:Civ Pro Question regarding Erie Doctrine.

That's a choice of law question, not erie. The answer is probably that the fed city would fold in the state charges,.but this is the question that confined half of civ pro ii, so you probably don't need to worry.
State claim will be supplemental jurisdiction and Erie applies (Erie includes forum state state choice-of-law rules).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:06 am

gdane wrote:Man I loved talking about my exams! The second they were over I went around talking to everyone just to see what I spotted that other people didnt.

Is that a joke?

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 am

Came down w/ a horrible flu...went to the Doc...gave me a B-Vitamin Shot (Awesome btw) and some Meds. I'm back on my game this morning. If you're fighting something off and feeling sluggish that damn B-vitamin shot was amazing.

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:59 am

Civ Pro is going to be such a fucking mess.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Legislation exam is on Friday and this is how I feel

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:08 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:So, just read Freer and had my mind blown.. it is unreal how unorganized my Civ Pro professor was this semester

Also, to all of you talking about having to remember cases for Con law with an open book exam you can all throw yourselves off bridges because I have closed book Con law and the professor sent an e-mail saying a sample question might read something like this... "It is the day after Clinton v. New York was decided. Write the dissenting opinion. However, first state the facts, holding, and a brief summary of the majority's reasoning." All in all not that hard.. but when I had been preparing for an issue spotter and a policy question all semester it was pretty heartbreaking to find out I basically have to remember cases word for word
Haha, I am so fucking glad I'm not in your section. Only solution is...Red Bull and flash cards?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Property exam finally over! 4 hours, handwritten, closed book, I am so glad to be done with that. Now for ConLaw, pretty much have to learn everything all over again because I've been single-mindedly devoted to Prop for the past 5 days. 4 days to cram a 2000 page casebook into my head as well as a 1200 page Chemerinsky in there too....

I just want to drink tonight.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:39 pm

crossarmant wrote:Property exam finally over! 4 hours, handwritten, closed book, I am so glad to be done with that. Now for ConLaw, pretty much have to learn everything all over again because I've been single-mindedly devoted to Prop for the past 5 days. 4 days to cram a 2000 page casebook into my head as well as a 1200 page Chemerinsky in there too....

I just want to drink tonight.
The nice thing about Chemerinsky is that it's easy to find the pertinent sections to read, so though the treatise is huuuuge, you don't have to do all that much reading in the end.
I'm in con law mode now too. Next is civ pro, which I have to pretty much learn, period.

Sirius

New

Post by Sirius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Just finished up ConLaw. Really curious as to how bad I did, anyone want to take a peak at my exam? or go over the questions?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Having trouble mustering energy to do the last couple topics of property.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:28 pm

k tomorrow.

most unprepared i've ever been for a test.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Lasers wrote:k tomorrow.

we've got this dude.

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Just did a crim practice test. Realized I know nothing. Final is Friday. WTF did I do all semester in that class? Also, f statutes. I don't care.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:58 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:k tomorrow.

we've got this dude.
i sincerely hope so.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Lawst wrote:The nice thing about Chemerinsky is that it's easy to find the pertinent sections to read, so though the treatise is huuuuge, you don't have to do all that much reading in the end.
I'm in con law mode now too. Next is civ pro, which I have to pretty much learn, period.
Oh, I've already made a good 15 page attack outline out of most of the book, just need to get through the chapters on Executive Power, Federal Limits on State Spending and Taxing Power, and Structure of the Constitution's Protections of Civil Rights. But all that shit can wait until tomorrow, tonight is me decompressing after my Property final and about me not giving a fuck for 12 hours.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 pm

back on the wagon after taking all of yesterday off after my absolutely horrendous environmental law exam. Taking a con law practice exam right now, and then 4 hours of crim law studying afterwards

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Civil Procedure Question.

Can a defendant avoid answering a complaint by asserting an affirmative defense? I know that filing a motion is considered not answering the complaint, but is asserting an affirmitive defense also considered not answering a complaint?

Thanks!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”