1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kapital98

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby kapital98 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 pm

merc280 wrote:well I could stay delusional and think Im going to ace these exams, but the things required of me are far more than I feel I possess.

My confidence regarding exams is completely bi-polar. In the morning I think I'm doomed but by night I think I'm going to ace the exams. Rinse, Repeat.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:15 pm

sundance95 wrote:
LOLyer wrote:Unmotivated. Winston Churchill-esque speeches welcome.

These are the times that try men's souls...

But, we will fight! Until every last issue, has been spotted, and analyzed!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:17 pm

Can someone explain tolling in adverse possession to me? Say it is a 21 year SoL and 10 years for tolling. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for me. Ugh.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:26 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Can someone explain tolling in adverse possession to me? Say it is a 21 year SoL and 10 years for tolling. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for me. Ugh.

We never covered it but this definition seems good:
"An action to recover the title to or possession of real property shall be brought within twenty one years after the cause of action accrued, but if a person entitled to bring the action is, at the time the cause of action accrues, within the age of minority or of unsound mind (applies to soldiers overseas and prisoners too), the person, after the expiration of twenty one years from the time the cause of action accrues, may bring the action within ten years after the disability is removed."

So it seems like if someone adversely possesses a land for 21 years, typically they'd gain title. However, let's say the owner of the land is serving 30 years in prison, goes in to prison in 1980 and X adversely possesses the property in 1988. If the owner were not in prison, X would gain title in 2009; but since the owner could not actively exclude X from the property the S/L is tolled until he gets out. So once the owner gets out of prison in 2010, he has until 2020 to evict X from his land so that it's not claimed by adverse possession. Sound right?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:45 pm

crossarmant wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Can someone explain tolling in adverse possession to me? Say it is a 21 year SoL and 10 years for tolling. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for me. Ugh.

We never covered it but this definition seems good:
"An action to recover the title to or possession of real property shall be brought within twenty one years after the cause of action accrued, but if a person entitled to bring the action is, at the time the cause of action accrues, within the age of minority or of unsound mind (applies to soldiers overseas and prisoners too), the person, after the expiration of twenty one years from the time the cause of action accrues, may bring the action within ten years after the disability is removed."

So it seems like if someone adversely possesses a land for 21 years, typically they'd gain title. However, let's say the owner of the land is serving 30 years in prison, goes in to prison in 1980 and X adversely possesses the property in 1988. If the owner were not in prison, X would gain title in 2009; but since the owner could not actively exclude X from the property the S/L is tolled until he gets out. So once the owner gets out of prison in 2010, he has until 2020 to evict X from his land so that it's not claimed by adverse possession. Sound right?

It depends on the statute as well. Some jxns don't include prisoners if I recall correctly. FTH, think of it as a toll bridge on a highway. You can continue driving but you have to stop and give some extra money/time in order to do so.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:55 pm

The more I look at Ks the less I understand anything.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:03 am

ilovesf wrote:The more I look at Ks the less I understand anything.

Acing Contracts homegirl

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

Acing Contracts homegirl

meh too late my test is on Thursday, I don't have the energy to consult more sources :(

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 am

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Acing Contracts homegirl

meh too late my test is on Thursday, I don't have the energy to consult more sources :(

Ok...let me see what I can dig up

1. http://www.scribd.com/doc/74656761/Skeleton-K-Contract

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:15 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Acing Contracts homegirl

Ok...let me see what I can dig up

1. http://www.scribd.com/doc/74656761/Skeleton-K-Contract

Thanks dude. I mean I understand some things, it's just like I'm looking over the UCC and stuff and realizing I really don't understand what it specifically says as well as I thought it did. I didn't really do a good job of reading it closely and noting when it differs from CL/R.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am

i hate talking with my friends about exams after the fact, hearing about certain little issues they spotted that i either glossed over or completely missed. boo.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am

Jessuf wrote:i hate talking with my friends about exams after the fact, hearing about certain little issues they spotted that i either glossed over or completely missed. boo.

I don't discuss it. Period.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Jessuf wrote:i hate talking with my friends about exams after the fact, hearing about certain little issues they spotted that i either glossed over or completely missed. boo.

Yeah, once it's over I try to forget it ever happened and move on to the next. You don't want to mess up your focus on what's coming up next by getting down over what just happened.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:31 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

I basically awkwardly look at my hands while they recount their entire exam, then I mentally punch myself for not being that clever and hope they have illegible grammar issues or really suck at multiple choice.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:32 am

ilovesf wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Yeah, once it's over I try to forget it ever happened and move on to the next. You don't want to mess up your focus on what's coming up next by getting down over what just happened.

After my first exam, in contracts, the people in front of me were talking about issues, and I FLIPPED OUT. I had anxiety for a few days afterwards about it that definitely messed with my second exam. Turns out, I got an A- on the first exam for K--even though I thought I completely blew a MAJOR issue. This year, if I'm in a place where I can't necessarily avoid hearing people talk about the exam, I'm going to ask them to please talk about it after they're in a place to do so privately, out of respect and decency. It also sounds like an honor code violation to me, but i'm not sure about that.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:34 am

And what is up with professors choosing topics that were discussed all of 5 minutes in class for hypotheticals on exams? 60% of my final torts grade was based on something that I glossed over in studying because I assumed since it was one short case with 5 minutes of class coverage, it only had a chance of surfacing on the final as a MC question. This happened to me multiple times last semester. I really need to learn my lesson. I guess I should prepare for my property professor asking me to write on planning and zoning, which he pretended didn't exist in class even though it's on our list of topics.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 am

Guchster wrote:
After my first exam, in contracts, the people in front of me were talking about issues, and I FLIPPED OUT. I had anxiety for a few days afterwards about it that definitely messed with my second exam. Turns out, I got an A- on the first exam for K--even though I thought I completely blew a MAJOR issue. This year, if I'm in a place where I can't necessarily avoid hearing people talk about the exam, I'm going to ask them to please talk about it after they're in a place to do so privately, out of respect and decency. It also sounds like an honor code violation to me, but i'm not sure about that.

Yeah I don't really know if its an honor code violation. I guess maybe not because it already happened, but I guess people could reschedule to take them later if they need to? Anyway listening to other people's issue spotting also just doesn't help, cause some people might have talked about totally peripheral issues for a lot longer than they needed to. I feel like literally anything could be an issue in an exam in some way.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 am

Guchster wrote:It also sounds like an honor code violation to me, but i'm not sure about that.

Nah, to talk about your exam once its over?

About finals anxiety though. Someone in my 1st final opened the test question while everyone was still chatting and hanging out before the proctors got their shit together. WHO DOES THAT?! What are a few minutes going to afford you that could make that worth it. Even worse, his hands were literally shaking as he read the question. CLEARLY he knew he was doing something wrong. Two of us saw him, then locked eyes. The other guy is serious business, me not too scary in that scenario. So the guys said "Hey X, I don't think we're supposed to be reading the question yet." And the guy was like "oh, oh right, I didn't really, oops, ha...." I bet that SEVERELY fucked with his mind state the entire exam, stressing over whether he was going to get an honor code violation. In the end nothing happened, but I bet he learned, LS crime doesn't pay.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:45 am

As soon as an exam is done, I keep my headphones in, switch from classical to upbeat/loud music, and hightail it out of the law school.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:53 am

As soon as any of my friends start talking about the exam, I literally get up and walk away. I don't do that shit, it's useless and just stresses everyone out.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:01 am

JenDarby wrote:
Guchster wrote:It also sounds like an honor code violation to me, but i'm not sure about that.

Nah, to talk about your exam once its over?

About finals anxiety though. Someone in my 1st final opened the test question while everyone was still chatting and hanging out before the proctors got their shit together. WHO DOES THAT?! What are a few minutes going to afford you that could make that worth it. Even worse, his hands were literally shaking as he read the question. CLEARLY he knew he was doing something wrong. Two of us saw him, then locked eyes. The other guy is serious business, me not too scary in that scenario. So the guys said "Hey X, I don't think we're supposed to be reading the question yet." And the guy was like "oh, oh right, I didn't really, oops, ha...." I bet that SEVERELY fucked with his mind state the entire exam, stressing over whether he was going to get an honor code violation. In the end nothing happened, but I bet he learned, LS crime doesn't pay.

lol gunners gonna gun...every minute...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:09 am

Idk, I talk about the exam with the same friend after every exam, and it makes me feel better about it. I think it's generally bad when groups get together to talk about exams though.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Idk, I talk about the exam with the same friend after every exam, and it makes me feel better about it. I think it's generally bad when groups get together to talk about exams though.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Idk, I talk about the exam with the same friend after every exam, and it makes me feel better about it. I think it's generally bad when groups get together to talk about exams though.

:lol:

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

So I guess that means you don't want to talk about the commerce clause over coffee tomorrow? :wink:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”