1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dabomb75

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:16 pm

just took the dumbest test ever. Used less than 5% of my outline on the entire test, and applied knowledge from torts and property last semester to pretty much the entire test. Why are law professors so bad at writing exams????

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:26 pm

Dear Law In A Flash Cards: I love you.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:42 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Metaread wrote:Question 1
T to A for life, then to A's children and their heirs, but if any child dies in the lifetime of A, such child's share will go to his or her issue who survive A. At the time of T's death, A has 2 children, B and C.
1A. Status of title?

1) This doesn't appear to violate RAP
2) A has a Life Estate, it seems that B & C have a vested remainder subject to open in fee simple absolute.

[Same facts as above, continued story developments:]
B dies, leaving a husband, D, and a child, E. B's will devised all her property to her husband D.
Status of title upon B's death?

All property except for the future interest in A's Life Estate would go to D, but the Future Interest would be a contingent remainder in E (contingent upon E living longer than A)

C dies, leaving a wife, F, and no issue. C devises everything to F. A child, G, is born to A.
1B. Status of title upon C's death?

C's future interest in A's Life Estate is extinguished when he dies without issue. When G is born of A, then he gains a vest remainder subject to open.

A dies, survived by D, E, F, G.
1C. Status of title upon A's death?

D,E,F, and G all now hold A's property as joint tenants, presumably with rights of survivorship, in fee simple absolute.

Question 2
During the 1980s Oren lived with his wife, Abie, on a family farm which had been in Oren's family for generations. Approximately 8 acres of the total 35 acres of the farm was contiguous to a nearby river. These 8 acres consist primarily of a cliff and small forest overlooking the river, while the remaining 27 acres are flat and used for farming. In 1990, Oren and his family moved to Chicago. In order to rearrange his personal finances, Oren executed a deed to the farm which provided "to my wife Abie for life, then to my children as joint tenants, so long as the property is not used for commercial development." At the time of the conveyance, Oren had three sons, Brad, Chris, and Dan. At the time, the only structure on the farm was an old farmhouse on the edge of the lower 27 acres. Abie visited the farmhouse a couple of times of year where she would stay for a few weeks to read and draw the local wildlife.

What is the status of title to the farm in 1990?

Abie holds a life estate; Brad, Chris, and Dan hold a fee simple determinable as joint tenants; O retains a possibility of reverter in the property.

Am I right? We have like 15 MC Future Interest questions on our exam and I've already burnt through all the 50 samples that my professor gave us. I feel somewhat okay with it but still a little shaky.

1A. Before B's death: A: life estate. B and C: Vested remainder in fee simple subject to open and subject to complete defeasance/divestment (could be other children born, or the kids might die, etc).
1A. Upon B's death: A: life estate; C and D: Vested Remainder subject to open and subject to complete defeasance/divestment; E: Shifting executory interest
1B. Upon C's death: C's interest passes to F because he has no issue.
Upon G's death: A: life estate; D and G: vested remainders in 1/3 interest subject to open and subject to complete defeasance/divestment; E: Shifting executory interest, F: Vested Remainder in 1/3 subject to open.
1C. Upon A's death: E, F and G hold 1/3 interests in fee simple as tenants in common.

A: Life estate determinable (the condition "used for commercial development" applied to all interests). B, C and D: Vested remainder subject to open in fee simple determinable held as Joint Tenants. O: Possibility of Reverter.

Overall, you did pretty well! :)

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Metaread wrote:1.
1A. Before B's death: A: life estate. B and C: Vested remainder in fee simple subject to open and subject to complete defeasance/divestment (could be other children born, or the kids might die, etc).
1A. Upon B's death: A: life estate; C and D: Vested Remainder subject to open and subject to complete defeasance/divestment; E: Shifting executory interest
1B. Upon C's death: C's interest passes to F because he has no issue.
Upon G's death: A: life estate; D and G: vested remainders in 1/3 interest subject to open and subject to complete defeasance/divestment; E: Shifting executory interest, F: Vested Remainder in 1/3 subject to open.
1C. Upon A's death: E, F and G hold 1/3 interests in fee simple as tenants in common.

A: Life estate determinable (the condition "used for commercial development" applied to all interests). B, C and D: Vested remainder subject to open in fee simple determinable held as Joint Tenants. O: Possibility of Reverter.

Overall, you did pretty well! :)

Well, this killed my confidence. Dammit. Here I was all psyched and ready to take my exam at 9am tomorrow, guess I'm busting my ass all night. (Though, we never touched on defeasance/divestment or life estate determinables)

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:26 pm

If you never touched them, don't worry about them! My professor is undoubtedly different from yours in his approach to Property.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Got conflicting information on how to answer the exam questions this morning. Did it one way while others did it the other. The professor is really nice so he'll probably accept both, but it's still dumb.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Exam for what subject?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Metaread wrote:Exam for what subject?

Property. We were told by professor to do one thing, then the registrar said to do something else. So someone corrected the registrar, then the actual test said to do what the registrar originally said to do.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Flips88 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

ahhaha.

i very much hate my life at the moment.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Metaread wrote:Exam for what subject?

Property. We were told by professor to do one thing, then the registrar said to do something else. So someone corrected the registrar, then the actual test said to do what the registrar originally said to do.

Man, that is bullshit.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Unmotivated. Winston Churchill-esque speeches welcome.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Just went back through my book, flipping pages at random and realized I missed the whole section on easements and only covered them vaguely on my outline. This is going to take all night to fix.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:28 pm

okay this is definitely not looking for me. There is just too much stuff to do and with the final next Monday I'm starting to think that A is impossible.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Lasers wrote:
Flips88 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

ahhaha.

i very much hate my life at the moment.

true story

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Come on guys! This is great! We're almost done! We're going to kill our exams! Stay positive and none of the "I hate law school" shit. Law school is fun!

Three more days until Civ Pro II! :D

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:57 pm

well I could stay delusional and think Im going to ace these exams, but the things required of me are far more than I feel I possess.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 pm

4 practice exams down, countless RAP problems done, like 15 CALI lessons, done all the MC & most of the hypos in Siegels, office hours reviewing over past exams, and reviewed my notes and E&E cover to cover... If I end up at median on this Property exam I'm going to seriously debate dropping out. That said, I feel pretty confident and I feel ready to tackle this bitch tomorrow morning.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 pm

Screw closed book exams. How am I supposed to do any analysis when I'm driven to just vomit up rules? How am I learning to become a lawyer?

And thank the powers that be for open book exams where I can actually think.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 pm

TTTLS wrote:Screw closed book exams. How am I supposed to do any analysis when I'm driven to just vomit up rules? How am I learning to become a lawyer?

I prefer closed book oddly enough. I feel like it rewards hard work and effort in learning the material more so than open book. That and I feel more confident knowing that the rest of the class has the same disadvantages.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:24 pm

TTTLS wrote:Screw closed book exams. How am I supposed to do any analysis when I'm driven to just vomit up rules? How am I learning to become a lawyer?

Seeing as how I only have 1 open book exam, I guess one of the most important things separating the A's from B's is amount of memory dumping one can do.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:33 pm

crossarmant wrote:

I prefer closed book oddly enough. I feel like it rewards hard work and effort in learning the material more so than open book. That and I feel more confident knowing that the rest of the class has the same disadvantages.
LOL.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:39 pm

TTTLS wrote:LOL.

Meh, 1L year has turned me into a sadistic person who enjoys the suffering of my fellow classmates. Isn't that the purpose of the curve?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:41 pm

crossarmant wrote:
TTTLS wrote:LOL.

Meh, 1L year has turned me into a sadistic person who enjoys the suffering of my fellow classmates. Isn't that the purpose of the curve?

I guess you can call it sadism. I think more of it as justice. 8)

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:57 pm

8 hour con law finished. Honestly, wrote the entire eight hours. It wasn't as miserable as I thought but a large part of me was still like "lolwut?" I knew the questions would extremely open-ended and ask for our opinions but it still did not cease to amaze me. I know I'm no con law scholar and at this point, I'm just glad to be finished. I'm not sure what this means for grades. Last semester I panicked after every test and did super well. There was no panic after conlaw so I'm wondering if this means super bad? Likely, super B. Apparently, my proff loves those.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:30 pm

LOLyer wrote:Unmotivated. Winston Churchill-esque speeches welcome.

These are the times that try men's souls...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”