1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mike12188

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:28 am

24 hour crim pro exam in two weeks that has a 3500 word limit. Any advice? I think I'm gonna make a case chart split into the different sections we went over. He doesn't have old exams but gave us a couple to look at that are "similar to his style." Just a couple issue spotters, with possibly 1 policy question.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:08 am

JenDarby wrote:My first final is in 13 days and my last day of class is Thursday. OODLES OF TIME. I feel like finals are so impending, then I realize they aren't. Apparently not having a wedding to go to in a tropical location the week before finals really takes the pressure off. Who knew.

damn 13 days...i'm seriously jelly.

i will, however, finish sooner...and the tables shall turn?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:59 am

skw wrote:Finished studying for con law today. I was ready for 9am tomorrow . . . BUT Obama is speaking at our school and due to the 'pressure' the news crews and secret service will put on campus WiFi, they're worried about outages, SOOOOOOO they just decided to reschedule Con Law for Thursday. Great. Fucking great.

quote for awesomeness

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 am

Is anyone pre-writing answers to their exams? I really want to try this, but I don't know what they should look like ideally. Are you writing up verbatim what you will type up given a type of question, or just a skeletal outline or something? If anyone is willing to show me an example via pm it would be much appreciated :)

Summer...soon!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 am

thegrayman wrote:Is anyone pre-writing answers to their exams? I really want to try this, but I don't know what they should look like ideally. Are you writing up verbatim what you will type up given a type of question, or just a skeletal outline or something? If anyone is willing to show me an example via pm it would be much appreciated :)

Summer...soon!

I suppose it depends on the prof, but for my classes at least, pre-written things more than a sentence or two would be very bad. (and in two classes expressly forbidden for our benefit). You're supposed to be applying law to the facts at hand, so it's hard to do much prewriting of that. "This case is similar to blah blah because blah blah" is better than "This case is similar to Blah. The Blah case did x, y, and z. Z is what we have here."

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 am

Alright.. let's get two more practice property exams in today and then rock this shit tomorrow. Like it's awful because I'm so stressed for the exam tomorrow but so relieved it'll be over. Then there is the sudden realization that I'm going to have to haul ass for 4 days to prep for ConLaw which is even more panic inducing. And then after that is done, 3 days of hardcore Crim studying. It all just makes me whimper and want my 3 weeks vacation to come!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 am

crossarmant wrote:Alright.. let's get two more practice property exams in today and then rock this shit tomorrow. Like it's awful because I'm so stressed for the exam tomorrow but so relieved it'll be over. Then there is the sudden realization that I'm going to have to haul ass for 4 days to prep for ConLaw which is even more panic inducing. And then after that is done, 3 days of hardcore Crim studying. It all just makes me whimper and want my 3 weeks vacation to come!

Hang in there! You can do it!

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
thegrayman wrote:Is anyone pre-writing answers to their exams? I really want to try this, but I don't know what they should look like ideally. Are you writing up verbatim what you will type up given a type of question, or just a skeletal outline or something? If anyone is willing to show me an example via pm it would be much appreciated :)

Summer...soon!

I suppose it depends on the prof, but for my classes at least, pre-written things more than a sentence or two would be very bad. (and in two classes expressly forbidden for our benefit). You're supposed to be applying law to the facts at hand, so it's hard to do much prewriting of that. "This case is similar to blah blah because blah blah" is better than "This case is similar to Blah. The Blah case did x, y, and z. Z is what we have here."

For sure, that makes sense. I'll probably forgo trying to go down that road, thanks for the input.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:45 am

about to take another 3.5 hour practice test :|

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Chilling with Chemerinsky today. Please, con law god, make me understand!

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:05 pm

--ImageRemoved--

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Just finished my Torts final. Yay.

Time to start studying for Property. Boo. I cannot seem to grasp present/future estates. I read about them and think, "I can do this." Then when I do practice exams, everything seems to be written in jibberish. Meeting with my professor in a few, but I'm not sure if he will be able to help me.

Wah.

CALI will become my best friend.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:26 pm

I wish we had CALI lessons.

lawyerdown27

Postby lawyerdown27 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi TLSers - long-time reader, first time poster. Wondering if anyone has a good short K's(II) attack outline - PER, K defenses, remedies, conditions, third-party beneficiaries, and assignment/delegation. My outline is WAY too long, and so for each practice exam I do I end up missing an element/exception/other possible recourse. Very much appreciated!!

In other news, can 1L please be over...

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:42 pm

crossarmant wrote:Alright.. let's get two more practice property exams in today and then rock this shit tomorrow. Like it's awful because I'm so stressed for the exam tomorrow but so relieved it'll be over. Then there is the sudden realization that I'm going to have to haul ass for 4 days to prep for ConLaw which is even more panic inducing. And then after that is done, 3 days of hardcore Crim studying. It all just makes me whimper and want my 3 weeks vacation to come!

I'm right with you on that. I just can't wait for the exams to be over, I really want to get to the summer and watch movies while enjoying my internship. Right now I'm cramming as much studying as possible into my day as time allows, and I'm just tired and grumpy most of the time. I think I've gone through nearly all of my snacks, so I'm going to have to walk over and buy some more, lol.

The previous property question I shared with you guys you were mostly on point with, another option would have been not to sell above a certain elevation, and just retain fee simple above a fixed elevation line. Restrictive RCs work, though prohibiting pets and kids from the 40 acres would violate the Fair Housing Act. My professor also noted you'd have to discuss ways to anticipate structuring documents to acknowledge preexisting use.

Here are two more short-ish Property questions:

Question 1
T to A for life, then to A's children and their heirs, but if any child dies in the lifetime of A, such child's share will go to his or her issue who survive A. At the time of T's death, A has 2 children, B and C.
1A. Status of title?

[Same facts as above, continued story developments:]
B dies, leaving a husband, D, and a child, E. B's will devised all her property to her husband D.
Status of title upon B's death?

C dies, leaving a wife, F, and no issue. C devises everything to F. A child, G, is born to A.
1B. Status of title upon C's death?

A dies, survived by D, E, F, G.
1C. Status of title upon A's death?

Question 2
During the 1980s Oren lived with his wife, Abie, on a family farm which had been in Oren's family for generations. Approximately 8 acres of the total 35 acres of the farm was contiguous to a nearby river. These 8 acres consist primarily of a cliff and small forest overlooking the river, while the remaining 27 acres are flat and used for farming. In 1990, Oren and his family moved to Chicago. In order to rearrange his personal finances, Oren executed a deed to the farm which provided "to my wife Abie for life, then to my children as joint tenants, so long as the property is not used for commercial development." At the time of the conveyance, Oren had three sons, Brad, Chris, and Dan. At the time, the only structure on the farm was an old farmhouse on the edge of the lower 27 acres. Abie visited the farmhouse a couple of times of year where she would stay for a few weeks to read and draw the local wildlife.

What is the status of title to the farm in 1990?
Last edited by Metaread on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:17 pm

So I had an appointment with my professor and have been waiting outside his office for 20 minutes. He has two professors in his office shooting the shit about acupuncture and how his kids are going off to college. What's the general etiquette on how long should I wait out here for? I have to be somewhere this afternoon, so I can't wait indefinitely. And if I do have to leave before he finishes with them, should I just e-mail him and be like, "I showed up for our appointment, but you were busy with someone. Can I reschedule for another day?"

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:20 pm

I'd knock on the door, say "Sorry to interrupt, but professor, are we still on for our appointment?" or something like that. It's clear those professors are just socializing. If you don't/can't do this, then yes, email him , or call him, maybe after walking a little bit away so he doesn't realize you're right outside.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Metaread wrote:I'd knock on the door, say "Sorry to interrupt, but professor, are we still on for our appointment?" or something like that. It's clear those professors are just socializing. If you don't/can't do this, then yes, email him , or call him, maybe after walking a little bit away so he doesn't realize you're right outside.

I think you have the magic touch because just as I read this and contemplated knocking, they left.

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Excellent!

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 pm

can you lay down some of that magic to my exams this semester? :D

akili

Postby akili » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Welp. Property is over. I think it went ok. No one knows how they did at all.

On to Con Law for Friday. (ugh).

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Metaread wrote:Question 1
T to A for life, then to A's children and their heirs, but if any child dies in the lifetime of A, such child's share will go to his or her issue who survive A. At the time of T's death, A has 2 children, B and C.
1A. Status of title?

1) This doesn't appear to violate RAP
2) A has a Life Estate, it seems that B & C have a vested remainder subject to open in fee simple absolute.

[Same facts as above, continued story developments:]
B dies, leaving a husband, D, and a child, E. B's will devised all her property to her husband D.
Status of title upon B's death?

All property except for the future interest in A's Life Estate would go to D, but the Future Interest would be a contingent remainder in E (contingent upon E living longer than A)

C dies, leaving a wife, F, and no issue. C devises everything to F. A child, G, is born to A.
1B. Status of title upon C's death?

C's future interest in A's Life Estate is extinguished when he dies without issue. When G is born of A, then he gains a vest remainder subject to open.

A dies, survived by D, E, F, G.
1C. Status of title upon A's death?

D,E,F, and G all now hold A's property as joint tenants, presumably with rights of survivorship, in fee simple absolute.

Question 2
During the 1980s Oren lived with his wife, Abie, on a family farm which had been in Oren's family for generations. Approximately 8 acres of the total 35 acres of the farm was contiguous to a nearby river. These 8 acres consist primarily of a cliff and small forest overlooking the river, while the remaining 27 acres are flat and used for farming. In 1990, Oren and his family moved to Chicago. In order to rearrange his personal finances, Oren executed a deed to the farm which provided "to my wife Abie for life, then to my children as joint tenants, so long as the property is not used for commercial development." At the time of the conveyance, Oren had three sons, Brad, Chris, and Dan. At the time, the only structure on the farm was an old farmhouse on the edge of the lower 27 acres. Abie visited the farmhouse a couple of times of year where she would stay for a few weeks to read and draw the local wildlife.

What is the status of title to the farm in 1990?

Abie holds a life estate; Brad, Chris, and Dan hold a fee simple determinable as joint tenants; O retains a possibility of reverter in the property.

Am I right? We have like 15 MC Future Interest questions on our exam and I've already burnt through all the 50 samples that my professor gave us. I feel somewhat okay with it but still a little shaky.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:07 pm

akili wrote:Welp. Property is over. I think it went ok. No one knows how they did at all.

i wrote an entire paragraph about the grace and majesty of polar bears on mine. feeling optimistic.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:08 pm

angrybird wrote:
akili wrote:Welp. Property is over. I think it went ok. No one knows how they did at all.

i wrote an entire paragraph about the grace and majesty of polar bears on mine. feeling optimistic.

--ImageRemoved--
So majestic.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:10 pm

angrybird wrote:

I just added random policy words when I was running out of time. A couple of my paragraphs just end with "Exclusion! Personhood!"

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”