1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
angrybird

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby angrybird » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:07 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:Oh just fucking kill me already. I've been explained this, but can never really understand it.

CON LAW Q:
In Dole, SCOTUS listed 5 limits of the spending power. One of them is the "independent constitutional bar." Does that just mean that law passed under spending power can't expressly violate another con clause? Is that what I put on my test: No other clause expressly prohibits...?

yes. for instance, in Dole, if the court found that the conditional spending amounted to federal regulation of the drinking age, it'd arguably be prohibited by the 21st amendment. this also means that congress can't use the spending power to induce states to do things like pass unconstitutional laws.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:09 am

angrybird wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:Oh just fucking kill me already. I've been explained this, but can never really understand it.

CON LAW Q:
In Dole, SCOTUS listed 5 limits of the spending power. One of them is the "independent constitutional bar." Does that just mean that law passed under spending power can't expressly violate another con clause? Is that what I put on my test: No other clause expressly prohibits...?

yes. for instance, in Dole, if the court found that the conditional spending amounted to federal regulation of the drinking age, it'd arguably be prohibited by the 21st amendment. this also means that congress can't use the spending power to induce states to do things like pass unconstitutional laws.

Plus, if it's a blatant infringement on the 10th amendment (i.e. you can get welfare only if you refuse to talk shit about the government), it may get struck down

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:11 am

more succinctly: you can't use spending to functionally require states to do something that the constitution says they can't do or you can't make them do

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:17 am

I've officially hit that point now where I ain't getting anymore shit done.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:18 am

TTTLS wrote:I've officially hit that point now where I ain't getting anymore shit done.

Finished off a wine bottle. Test tuesday. No fucks given now.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:56 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
TTTLS wrote:I've officially hit that point now where I ain't getting anymore shit done.

Finished off a wine bottle. Test tuesday. No fucks given now.

Took a 2.5 hour break. Back to work.

Edit: Basically done with Ks outline. Feels good. Time to sleep.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:41 am

Slept in til 10. One K's CALI and then a property test before I can come back and go for a run. (self-care ftw)

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:51 am

akili wrote:Slept in til 10. One K's CALI and then a property test before I can come back and go for a run. (self-care ftw)

One Property CALI on Equitable Servitudes and then off to the gym, then some RAP problems and a practice exam. I am so stressed and worried.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:50 pm

akili wrote:Slept in til 10. One K's CALI and then a property test before I can come back and go for a run. (self-care ftw)

I did the same. Was supposed to get up at 7. Tuesday's 6:30 AM wake up might be rough, my sleep schedule is completely out of whack.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:52 pm

So one of my questions will not have a fact pattern. Instead, I will need to spot issues with a statute that the prof gives us. Any idea how to attack these? Note: prof is new and we have no old exams.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:03 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

I did the same. Was supposed to get up at 7. Tuesday's 6:30 AM wake up might be rough, my sleep schedule is completely out of whack.

Yeah, I'm trying desperately to get back on schedule for Tuesday, but every time I try to go to bed early my brain goes in to hyperdrive and I end up re-reading Hunger Games at 2 am.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:18 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

crap, I completely forgot about this fact...I've been averaging a sleep time of 4am over the past 3 days. That needs to change tonight since I have a 9am final on tuesday

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Yea I've been trying to wake up early to get ready for waking up at 6 am the day of my final, but it's just impossible, I can't wake up before 7 am if I don't have to.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:45 pm

I do need to get into the habit of waking up early again. My earliest class this semester has been 11am, so I'm up until like 2-3am everyday... Exam is at 9:30. I'm going to have to work on a proper sleep schedule.

In other news, I got my first 100% on a CALI lesson! Huzzah! Only took like 14 lessons!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:23 pm

I have successfully done every CALI property lesson that was within our class. Not sure what to do now.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Might try doing some lexis nexis Q&A's. Most library's have them on reserve.
I keep wondering how it was last semester and how much I had prepared by this time and I can't seem to remember. On the other hand, everytime I try learning Land Use controls for Property I feel like I get the concept, I just cant recite it back if I had to on a test.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:34 pm

merc280 wrote:Might try doing some lexis nexis Q&A's. Most library's have them on reserve.
I keep wondering how it was last semester and how much I had prepared by this time and I can't seem to remember. On the other hand, everytime I try learning Land Use controls for Property I feel like I get the concept, I just cant recite it back if I had to on a test.

TITCR - They help out a lot. If you can find a Seigel's Property manual with practice short answer questions, work through there.

Also, I'm in the same boat trying to remember how much work I did this time last year. I feel like I did a million times more than I'm doing now... but I also feel like I did next to nothing compared to how hard I'm working now. Just cannot remember for the life of me.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:36 pm

merc280 wrote:Might try doing some lexis nexis Q&A's. Most library's have them on reserve.

I have the Q&As book for con law. Our test is 2/3 MC so I'm going to do them all once I'm done with Chemerinsky (ONLY ONE CHAPTER LEFT!)

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I have the Q&As book for con law. Our test is 2/3 MC so I'm going to do them all once I'm done with Chemerinsky (ONLY ONE CHAPTER LEFT!)

I still can't for the life of me understand how people say Chemerinsky is helpful. My Professor used the Chemerinsky book and said we should supplement it with his hornbook which I realize everyone says is a goldmine but it seems even more complicated than the textbook.

If my test is multiple choice should I just go down the list of topics in the syllabus and take notes out of the chemerinsky hornbook?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Last edited by beachbum on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:40 pm

beachbum wrote:That moment you realize the treatise you just wrote on a particular doctrine for your take-home exam doesn't actually apply to the fact pattern.

Whoops.

:shock:

Wow, that suuucks

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:53 pm

merc280 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I still can't for the life of me understand how people say Chemerinsky is helpful. My Professor used the Chemerinsky book and said we should supplement it with his hornbook which I realize everyone says is a goldmine but it seems even more complicated than the textbook.

If my test is multiple choice should I just go down the list of topics in the syllabus and take notes out of the chemerinsky hornbook?

Chemerinsky has been amazing for me- I can't imagine trying to read it through, though. I just look up the case in the index and read the relevant sub-chapter.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:09 pm

anyone else get the feeling they're going to do really bad this semester. Like I know that I have around 8 days before my finals but I feel like its already been written that I won't be doing well. I had hoped a few A's this semester would give me a chance to transfer but the closer the exam gets, the less likely it seems it will happen.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:11 pm

merc280 wrote:anyone else get the feeling they're going to do really bad this semester. Like I know that I have around 8 days before my finals but I feel like its already been written that I won't be doing well. I had hoped a few A's this semester would give me a chance to transfer but the closer the exam gets, the less likely it seems it will happen.

I think most people feel like absolute shit before they take an exam, it's not just you.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:25 pm

ilovesf wrote:
merc280 wrote:anyone else get the feeling they're going to do really bad this semester. Like I know that I have around 8 days before my finals but I feel like its already been written that I won't be doing well. I had hoped a few A's this semester would give me a chance to transfer but the closer the exam gets, the less likely it seems it will happen.

I think most people feel like absolute shit before they take an exam, it's not just you.

Difference is that when asked they can spew out the law and that helps with multiple choice tests. No matter how long I stare at this information it doesn't seem to stick. Continually writing it out makes me feel like Im wasting my time, and just reading it makes sense but only as long as the information is infront of me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”