1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eugenie Danglars

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Question: I have in my notes "Sierra Club- group can sue on behalf of members." We didn't actually read that case, and the prof just mentioned it offhand, but the concept keeps coming up. I just read a summary of the case, and it doesn't seem to be about that. Halp plz?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:51 pm

beachbum wrote:First final is tomorrow. 24-hour take-home for Conlaw. Let's do this.

good luck!

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:52 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Question: I have in my notes "Sierra Club- group can sue on behalf of members." We didn't actually read that case, and the prof just mentioned it offhand, but the concept keeps coming up. I just read a summary of the case, and it doesn't seem to be about that. Halp plz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Club_v._Morton

Does that help? I have no idea what case you're talking about but that seems to be it?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Dany wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Question: I have in my notes "Sierra Club- group can sue on behalf of members." We didn't actually read that case, and the prof just mentioned it offhand, but the concept keeps coming up. I just read a summary of the case, and it doesn't seem to be about that. Halp plz?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Club_v._Morton

Does that help? I have no idea what case you're talking about but that seems to be it?

I think so too; I think what happened is I misinterpreted what my prof meant. I though it was a case saying this group can de facto sue on behalf of its members. What reality seems to be is that a group who has an injured member can sue.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:58 pm

I think I can help. The case stands for a couple positions. The ability for an org to sue on behalf of its injured members is one of them, because it wasn't the individuals who were suing, it was the club. We talked about it mostly in terms of injury though because in its first suit the club didn't actually say that any of its members were going to be injured, so they didn't have standing. They refiled after this and said several members were injured and they had standing. We looked at it with a group of other environmental standing cases to show the extent of what injury could be, like here, not being able to enjoy the mountains or something.

oops, scooped.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Has anyone done a practice test and then gone over it with their professor before the final? I want to do this but wasn't sure if they were normally receptive to this sort of thing. How did you ask?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 pm

thegrayman wrote:Has anyone done a practice test and then gone over it with their professor before the final? I want to do this but wasn't sure if they were normally receptive to this sort of thing. How did you ask?

Show up to office hours with a copy of the question and your answer. Most profs are really nice about it and will go over it with you. You can also e-mail them and ask ahead of time if you want.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I think I can help. The case stands for a couple positions. The ability for an org to sue on behalf of its injured members is one of them, because it wasn't the individuals who were suing, it was the club. We talked about it mostly in terms of injury though because in its first suit the club didn't actually say that any of its members were going to be injured, so they didn't have standing. They refiled after this and said several members were injured and they had standing. We looked at it with a group of other environmental standing cases to show the extent of what injury could be, like here, not being able to enjoy the mountains or something.

oops, scooped.

Stellar, thanks!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:44 pm

thegrayman wrote:Has anyone done a practice test and then gone over it with their professor before the final? I want to do this but wasn't sure if they were normally receptive to this sort of thing. How did you ask?

I did this last semester with one of my profs and he was really helpful about it (he later wrote me a transfer LoR). I'm doing it again this semester with my Crim prof. Some professors aren't particularly receptive to this idea though, like my ConLaw professor will only take questions online so as not to disadvantage anyone, Grrrrr....

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:50 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Show up to office hours with a copy of the question and your answer. Most profs are really nice about it and will go over it with you. You can also e-mail them and ask ahead of time if you want.

This depends on the prof of course. I've had profs who wouldn't go over lengthy written answers but were willing to answer any questions. My profs have generally preferred people give them distilled sets of questions rather than the wordvomit of a practice test answer.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:12 pm

crossarmant wrote:

I did this last semester with one of my profs and he was really helpful about it (he later wrote me a transfer LoR). I'm doing it again this semester with my Crim prof. Some professors aren't particularly receptive to this idea though, like my ConLaw professor will only take questions online so as not to disadvantage anyone, Grrrrr....

Hey, if other people aren't conscientious enough to bother asking questions, then they shouldn't get the benefit of the answers. I hate when professors have this mentality.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm on topic 25/38 in my Ks outline. I am checking my notes against an amazing outline from last year (person got an A and NAILS all my profs preferences in the outline). I'm at pg. 67/143 in their outline at this point.....?!?!? QUE?! :|

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 pm

JenDarby wrote:I'm on topic 25/38 in my Ks outline. I am checking my notes against an amazing outline from last year (person got an A and NAILS all my profs preferences in the outline). I'm at pg. 67/143 in their outline at this point.....?!?!? QUE?! :|

Did you check that they covered the same material? I had a panic moment earlier before I realized that the year the outline was made had a whole section we didn't do.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
JenDarby wrote:I'm on topic 25/38 in my Ks outline. I am checking my notes against an amazing outline from last year (person got an A and NAILS all my profs preferences in the outline). I'm at pg. 67/143 in their outline at this point.....?!?!? QUE?! :|

Did you check that they covered the same material? I had a panic moment earlier before I realized that the year the outline was made had a whole section we didn't do.

They did. :(

I'm literally just going through all my notes, then double checking with their info as I go. My prof has been teaching Ks at my school ever since she graduated....in 1978. She also wrote the book. She basically has a mental script she follows ha.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Just took an old exam for property that my professor posted online. He focused a lot on topics not really covered in my notes, and I didn't know if I just zoned out in class or if he never covered the stuff. Had to straight up guess on half of the exam. I submitted it to him for review and will be going to his office hours Tuesday to discuss it. I'm sure he'll look at it and be like "Wtf is this shit?" Some of the multiple choice questions were so tricky. Others were like "which of the following is not a defeasible fee simple estate?" I hope my final has more of the latter. :|

I bought that short and happy guide to property everyone recommended, and it worked at first (when I read it, I was like, "Ohhhh. Makes sense!"). Then when I did CALI lessons, I was like, "Hm. Ok. Wtf is going on here?"

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:06 pm

crossarmant wrote:
beachbum wrote:First final is tomorrow. 24-hour take-home for Conlaw. Let's do this.

On a Sunday?

It's 27 hours. C'mon now.

And I believe it is so we finish the same time as other sections who have finals on Monday.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:37 am

I am working.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:47 am

TTTLS wrote:I am working.

Me too. WHO NEEDS SLEEP. all nighters this early in the game is making me feel like a crazy gunner since last semester I went to Jamaica the week before finals and outlined in the 2-3 days before each final

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:56 am

I am still working. So I say with TLS, Reddit, and Facebook all open alongside my CALI lesson.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:58 am

I took an ibprofen pm, so hopefully I am passed out in about 45 minutes. My brain usually dead after like 9:20 pm, there's no use in staying up.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:27 am

ilovesf wrote:I took an ibprofen pm, so hopefully I am passed out in about 45 minutes. My brain usually dead after like 9:20 pm, there's no use in staying up.

sleeping pill test commenced as well. i'll post my results in the tracking thread.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:38 am

Oh just fucking kill me already. I've been explained this, but can never really understand it.

CON LAW Q:
In Dole, SCOTUS listed 5 limits of the spending power. One of them is the "independent constitutional bar." Does that just mean that law passed under spending power can't expressly violate another con clause? Is that what I put on my test: No other clause expressly prohibits...?

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:45 am

On the verge of finishing this property outline.

Edit: Blamo!

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:09 am

Con law prediction answers have been written. Assuming the test is what its been for ages, I am 2/3 of the way done. I can then clean it up and focus on the last question for seven hours. Five pages- 7 hours. Seems like a win for me. Unless, the scheme of the test changes, which she indicated would not happen. That would lead to major problems, as I'm not sure I understand con law beyond the things I chose to write about.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:55 am

alicrimson wrote:Con law prediction answers have been written.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”