1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:14 pm

akili wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
akili wrote:Productivity was low today, but I met Taylor Swift so I'm going to call it an overall win

WHAT? story!

She was literally two tables down at the coffee shop I was at. Some of my friends got a picture with her, but I chickened out and just stared like a fool.

So cool!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 pm

It's weird how now after a week plopped down with Chemerinsky I kind of enjoy ConLaw. Like it's finally starting to make legitimate sense and I can see a real framework. It's actually an almost interesting subject now.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:28 am

akili wrote:Productivity was low today, but I met Taylor Swift so I'm going to call it an overall win

SO JEALOUS.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:59 am

Hey, everyone who has been doing CALI lessons for Property, which modules are the best? There obviously is not enough time to do all of them, so which are the most useful to you guys?

akili

Postby akili » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:03 am

crossarmant wrote:Hey, everyone who has been doing CALI lessons for Property, which modules are the best? There obviously is not enough time to do all of them, so which are the most useful to you guys?

Came here to ask the exact same question.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:04 am

crossarmant wrote:Hey, everyone who has been doing CALI lessons for Property, which modules are the best? There obviously is not enough time to do all of them, so which are the most useful to you guys?

i actually have done most of the ones on topics we covered in class. They don't take a long time. So I'd set a period of time to work on them and see how many you can finish.

The best ones for me were the future interest ones and covenants.

Didn't really like the landlord tenant ones or concurrent estates as much.

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:06 am

1L with no motivation. Job secured for 1L Summer. Median to below median grades after 1st semester. Very little debt due to scholarships at T30. Takings insults.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 am

Sirius wrote:1L with no motivation. Job secured for 1L Summer. Median to below median grades after 1st semester. Very little debt due to scholarships at T30. Takings insults.

Do you get to keep the scholarships if you dip any lower? I'd hate to lose them. Come on, buck up. Spend one day with a solid supplement and you may have a good chance.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:20 am

Sirius wrote:1L with no motivation. Job secured for 1L Summer. Median to below median grades after 1st semester. Very little debt due to scholarships at T30. Takings insults.

Not worried about your 2L summer job?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:26 am

ilovesf wrote:

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:30 am

Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Was told by firm this summer that unless I royally screw up I keep SA for 2L summer. Stips on a part of the scholarship. I am worried but I am so burnt out that I just do not care.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:35 am

So my closed book Crim test is on Monday. Can someone explain how an omission works to sub in for the actus reus? I understand the exceptions (status, contractual, voluntarily assume care, etc.) but how does it play out? Do you still need to have the mens rea for that omission?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:37 am

Sirius wrote:
Guchster wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Was told by firm this summer that unless I royally screw up I keep SA for 2L summer. Stips on a part of the scholarship. I am worried but I am so burnt out that I just do not care.

Same position as you, but I want options breh.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:43 am

clint4law wrote:So my closed book Crim test is on Monday. Can someone explain how an omission works to sub in for the actus reus? I understand the exceptions (status, contractual, voluntarily assume care, etc.) but how does it play out? Do you still need to have the mens rea for that omission?

I just outlined this section/pre-wrote answer.

Here is what I have:

Without a statutory or common law duty, a person has no criminal law duty to act to prevent harm to another, even if the person imperiled may lose her life in the absence of assistance. However in the circumstances laid out below, liability for a criminal offense may be predicated on an omission, rather than voluntary act, assuming she was physically capable of performing the act. If the remaining elements of the crime care proven (including the mens rea) the defendant may be convicted of the crime.

1. Status relationship: A person may have a common law duty to act to prevent harm to another person if she stands in a special relationship to the person in peril. This includes parents to minor children, married couples, masters to servants.
2. A duty to act may also be created by an implied or express contract. For example, one who breaches an agreement to house, feed, and provide medical care or to care for one’s disabled parent, babysitter, or doctor
3. A person who creates the risk—or wrongfully places a person or her property in jeopardy of harm, has a law duty to aid the injured or endangered party. If she breaches her duty, she may be criminally responsible for the harm.
4. One who voluntarily commences assistances to another in jeopardy has a duty to continue to provide aid if a subsequent omission puts the victim in a worse position than if the actor had not helped.
5. Also one my have a statutory duty to act.

A jurisdiction may also follow the MPC's approach to a criminal violation by omissions (although it does not differ significantly from the common law). §2.01(1): A person is not guilty of an offense unless his conduct includes a voluntary act or the omission to perform an act of which he is physically capable. Liability based on omission is permitted when: (1) the law defining the offense provides for it (§220.1(3)) or (2) the duty is otherwise imposed by law (2.01(3)(b)). This includes civil affirmative duties to act (i.e., under contract or tort law)
Last edited by Guchster on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:43 am

Guch - are you t14? How does your firm look for the summer? For me, if the 2L offer presents itself then I am taking it no questions asked.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:44 am

Sirius wrote:Guch - are you t14? How does your firm look for the summer? For me, if the 2L offer presents itself then I am taking it no questions asked.

CLS. I'll consider taking it if I like it. If I hate the people, but like the work, I'm going to find another place that may fit my personality better.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:45 am

clint4law wrote:So my closed book Crim test is on Monday. Can someone explain how an omission works to sub in for the actus reus? I understand the exceptions (status, contractual, voluntarily assume care, etc.) but how does it play out? Do you still need to have the mens rea for that omission?

I may be wrong, but I do think that the mens rea for the omission is either specified or the default (like MPC-Recklessness standard). As I understand it, the omission is the actus reus and must adhere to the same principles of mens rea.

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:48 am

Guchster wrote:
Sirius wrote:Guch - are you t14? How does your firm look for the summer? For me, if the 2L offer presents itself then I am taking it no questions asked.

CLS. I'll consider taking it if I like it. If I hate the people, but like the work, I'm going to find another place that may fit my personality better.

Nice. I find the LS is the hell I thought it would be in terms of academics. Most of the subjects/things I learn are painfully boring. I also cannot stand academia which is what LS learning is 100% about.

EDIT: Cannot be more happy everyday knowing I gave up shots at t14 etc at sticker because I would have gotten burnt at those schools. Always go with the $$$$$.
Last edited by Sirius on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:49 am

akili wrote:

I forget what section you're in, but the one on regulatory takings was pretty good if you're in a section that covered that. The ones on easements and adverse possession were pretty good. The ones on estates and future interests are terrible.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:58 am

Hannibal wrote:
akili wrote:

I forget what section you're in, but the one on regulatory takings was pretty good if you're in a section that covered that. The ones on easements and adverse possession were pretty good. The ones on estates and future interests are terrible.

Thanks, we never covered Regulatory Takings (did in ConLaw though), doing Adverse Possession now and it's pretty useful. I was actually thinking of doing Easements and Real Covenants next. Luckily with the estates & future interests, my professor made a practice MC quiz of like 60 Estates & Future Interests questions with an answer key.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Guchster wrote:

I just outlined this section/pre-wrote answer.

Here is what I have:

Without a statutory or common law duty, a person has no criminal law duty to act to prevent harm to another, even if the person imperiled may lose her life in the absence of assistance. However in the circumstances laid out below, liability for a criminal offense may be predicated on an omission, rather than voluntary act, assuming she was physically capable of performing the act. If the remaining elements of the crime care proven (including the mens rea) the defendant may be convicted of the crime.

1. Status relationship: A person may have a common law duty to act to prevent harm to another person if she stands in a special relationship to the person in peril. This includes parents to minor children, married couples, masters to servants.
2. A duty to act may also be created by an implied or express contract. For example, one who breaches an agreement to house, feed, and provide medical care or to care for one’s disabled parent, babysitter, or doctor
3. A person who creates the risk—or wrongfully places a person or her property in jeopardy of harm, has a law duty to aid the injured or endangered party. If she breaches her duty, she may be criminally responsible for the harm.
4. One who voluntarily commences assistances to another in jeopardy has a duty to continue to provide aid if a subsequent omission puts the victim in a worse position than if the actor had not helped.
5. Also one my have a statutory duty to act.

A jurisdiction may also follow the MPC's approach to a criminal violation by omissions (although it does not differ significantly from the common law). §2.01(1): A person is not guilty of an offense unless his conduct includes a voluntary act or the omission to perform an act of which he is physically capable. Liability based on omission is permitted when: (1) the law defining the offense provides for it (§220.1(3)) or (2) the duty is otherwise imposed by law (2.01(3)(b)). This includes civil affirmative duties to act (i.e., under contract or tort law)

Thanks so much. So if a father sees his child in serious condition and does nothing to help, that omission subs in for the actus reus. In the event the kid dies, the father can be liable for a homicide and that will depend on his mens rea (intentional, reckless, or negligent), right?
I also assume that the father's act would still have be meet the causation requirements as well, right?

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Using my Profs own Torts book - his newest draft, no keyed supplements. Blurgle...We have a whole essay Q about arguing policy - his policy. Thats for next week though, today is CivPro all Day ere'day . Anyone suggest a good supplement for CivPro? I have the E&E but I'm hoping for something in addition to it.

Oh and so sorry for ya'll doin Crim - my crim prof was batshit.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Shammis wrote:Using my Profs own Torts book - his newest draft, no keyed supplements. Blurgle...We have a whole essay Q about arguing policy - his policy. Thats for next week though, today is CivPro all Day ere'day . Anyone suggest a good supplement for CivPro? I have the E&E but I'm hoping for something in addition to it.

Oh and so sorry for ya'll doin Crim - my crim prof was batshit.

Richard Freer's CivPro book. Your library should have it. It's been said a million times on here, but Richard Freer is a god among mere men when it comes to CivPro, I went into his BarBri lecture with maybe a C+ understanding of CivPro and got an A. Trust me.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:18 pm

Sirius wrote:
Guchster wrote:

Nice. I find the LS is the hell I thought it would be in terms of academics. Most of the subjects/things I learn are painfully boring. I also cannot stand academia which is what LS learning is 100% about.

EDIT: Cannot be more happy everyday knowing I gave up shots at t14 etc at sticker because I would have gotten burnt at those schools. Always go with the $$$$$.

This is the wrong thread to be posting stuff about employment and your preftigious scholarship. Stop shitting up the exam thread and take this crap to legal employment or another place in the lounge.

Sirius

Postby Sirius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Guchster wrote:
Sirius wrote:
Guchster wrote:

This is the wrong thread to be posting stuff about employment and your preftigious scholarship. Stop shitting up the exam thread and take this crap to legal employment or another place in the lounge.

Internet Tough Guy. Get er done douchebag.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”