1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13324
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby JenDarby » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:37 pm

I thought my first final was the 4th...just double checked and they're the 7th, 11th, and 15th. My day of classes is the 26th. :mrgreen:

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:24 am

JenDarby wrote:I thought my first final was the 4th...just double checked and they're the 7th, 11th, and 15th. My day of classes is the 26th. :mrgreen:

So jelly. but while you're taking your second final, I'll be on a plane to Berlin!

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am

Reading Property Supplements + Exercise Bike = Double Productivity!

Hopefully this will help me to both ace exams and fit back into my suits come time for summer work.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dreakol » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am

crossarmant wrote:Reading Property Supplements + Exercise Bike = Double Productivity!

Hopefully this will help me to both ace exams and fit back into my suits come time for summer work.


haha i feel you on this

i had to stop working out certain parts of body because my pants didnt fit anymore

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

So I'm completely fucked in app ad. I just re-went over the brief I turned in yesterday and came across several typos. I'm at this point hoping he doesn't fail me. Its only a two credit class but it still sucks to spend all of that time on something and have it all go down the toilet because you've read it so many times that you don't see the words on the paper properly. Trying to move past it for finals but am feeling pretty abysmal.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:18 pm

alicrimson wrote:So I'm completely fucked in app ad. I just re-went over the brief I turned in yesterday and came across several typos. I'm at this point hoping he doesn't fail me. Its only a two credit class but it still sucks to spend all of that time on something and have it all go down the toilet because you've read it so many times that you don't see the words on the paper properly. Trying to move past it for finals but am feeling pretty abysmal.


Believe me, this happens to everyone. Golden Rule for writing assignments: once you turn it in, just let it go.

And on a completely unrelated note: studying for crim makes me want to punch a baby. What I thought would be an exciting class filled with exotic fact patterns has turned into a dry lesson on statutory interpretation and mens rea."Yeah, that's great that the one dude ate the other dude, but omg how does the mens rea term apply within the statutory framework?! Does anyone know lol?"

User avatar
denardisgod
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby denardisgod » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm

.
Last edited by denardisgod on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:54 pm

classes finally over.

i think that's a good thing.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby akili » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 pm

beachbum wrote:
And on a completely unrelated note: studying for crim makes me want to punch a baby. What I thought would be an exciting class filled with exotic fact patterns has turned into a dry lesson on statutory interpretation and mens rea."Yeah, that's great that the one dude ate the other dude, but omg how does the mens rea term apply within the statutory framework?! Does anyone know lol?"


This is exactly how I feel about Crim. So much potential! So little fun!

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:21 pm

akili wrote:
beachbum wrote:
And on a completely unrelated note: studying for crim makes me want to punch a baby. What I thought would be an exciting class filled with exotic fact patterns has turned into a dry lesson on statutory interpretation and mens rea."Yeah, that's great that the one dude ate the other dude, but omg how does the mens rea term apply within the statutory framework?! Does anyone know lol?"


This is exactly how I feel about Crim. So much potential! So little fun!


+100000
It's all "Read the statute and pick that shit apart"... Bah, I had so much hope for this class. Turned out liking Property way more than expected though.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 pm

crossarmant wrote:Reading Property Supplements + Exercise Bike = Double Productivity!

Hopefully this will help me to both ace exams and fit back into my suits come time for summer work.


I'm going to thank you for this idea. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me before, but I got some serious studying done while burning calories

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13660
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Reading Property Supplements + Exercise Bike = Double Productivity!

Hopefully this will help me to both ace exams and fit back into my suits come time for summer work.


I'm going to thank you for this idea. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me before, but I got some serious studying done while burning calories

Did this at the gym yesterday with my Con Law outline.

LOLyer
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LOLyer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Anyone else regretting not paying attention in that one exceptionally boring class all semester?

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 pm

LOLyer wrote:Anyone else regretting not paying attention in that one exceptionally boring class all semester?


yes. What is property?

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12579
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
LOLyer wrote:Anyone else regretting not paying attention in that one exceptionally boring class all semester?


yes. What is property?


This. I certainly know everything I need to know about sporcle and gawker now, but I doubt that's on my property final.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Reading Property Supplements + Exercise Bike = Double Productivity!

Hopefully this will help me to both ace exams and fit back into my suits come time for summer work.


I'm going to thank you for this idea. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me before, but I got some serious studying done while burning calories

Did this at the gym yesterday with my Con Law outline.


So doing this tomorrow. I am a huge runner (and like to run outside, which prevents me from doing this), but currently kind of injured and like the idea of killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TTTLS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Should I go to the gym or keep outlining?

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 pm

TTTLS wrote:Should I go to the gym or keep outlining?


Outline at the gym. Totally feasible. :lol:

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby akili » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 am

I have 15 days til I'm done with 1L and I am SO tired.

Can't wait til class is done solely so I have more time to work.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 am

My classes are over! :D

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Do any of you have any good advice for takehome exams? I have two 7 hour take home finals and I find it really difficult to practice (which was my go to last semester) because they are so long and the teachers don't do the whole model answer bit. Its kind of frustrating because we have fifteen double spaced 14 font pages and I don't know how to strategize for this mess. One is con law and is basically tell me about how you feel and the other is property, which is, well, property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:30 pm

alicrimson wrote:Do any of you have any good advice for takehome exams? I have two 7 hour take home finals and I find it really difficult to practice (which was my go to last semester) because they are so long and the teachers don't do the whole model answer bit. Its kind of frustrating because we have fifteen double spaced 14 font pages and I don't know how to strategize for this mess. One is con law and is basically tell me about how you feel and the other is property, which is, well, property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


I had a take home civ pro, and I used my checklist and outline as a skeleton answer. It was designed so that you'd hve to analyze almost everything that we had covered, so I just started at the top of my checklist and went through each issue. Since we had 8 hours, there was plenty of time to thoroughly discuss everything if you worked steadily and didn't dither in reading the prompt and issue-spotting. For my exam at least, it would have been a waste of time to pick through the prompt looking for issues- just start with the list of issues and then see if they appear (and they probably will).

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Gah, cannot muster up energy to be productive today. Goddamn cold rainy days and their ability to sap all energy out of me.

EDIT: How I feel right now...
Image

User avatar
dabomb75
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dabomb75 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Went to Con Law professor's OH today for the first time all semester, and he dropped multiple hints for the exam, as well as went over a practice exam with me that I had done that didn't have a model answer. Probably the single most helpful hour of con law all semester.

Outlining 2 practice exams without sample answers today to take to him to look at tomorrow.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 pm

dabomb75 wrote:Went to Con Law professor's OH today for the first time all semester, and he dropped multiple hints for the exam, as well as went over a practice exam with me that I had done that didn't have a model answer. Probably the single most helpful hour of con law all semester.

Outlining 2 practice exams without sample answers today to take to him to look at tomorrow.


Did this last semester with Tors, it was extremely helpful. Doing it this semester with Crim, however I need it most in ConLaw but the prof said he would only take questions online so the whole class has access and no one is disadvantaged... No model answers either. Grrr... At least Property has model answers.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: axel.foley and 12 guests