1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JenDarby

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby JenDarby » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:37 pm

I thought my first final was the 4th...just double checked and they're the 7th, 11th, and 15th. My day of classes is the 26th. :mrgreen:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:24 am

JenDarby wrote:I thought my first final was the 4th...just double checked and they're the 7th, 11th, and 15th. My day of classes is the 26th. :mrgreen:

So jelly. but while you're taking your second final, I'll be on a plane to Berlin!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am

Reading Property Supplements + Exercise Bike = Double Productivity!

Hopefully this will help me to both ace exams and fit back into my suits come time for summer work.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:19 am

crossarmant wrote:Reading Property Supplements + Exercise Bike = Double Productivity!

Hopefully this will help me to both ace exams and fit back into my suits come time for summer work.

haha i feel you on this

i had to stop working out certain parts of body because my pants didnt fit anymore

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

So I'm completely fucked in app ad. I just re-went over the brief I turned in yesterday and came across several typos. I'm at this point hoping he doesn't fail me. Its only a two credit class but it still sucks to spend all of that time on something and have it all go down the toilet because you've read it so many times that you don't see the words on the paper properly. Trying to move past it for finals but am feeling pretty abysmal.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:18 pm

alicrimson wrote:So I'm completely fucked in app ad. I just re-went over the brief I turned in yesterday and came across several typos. I'm at this point hoping he doesn't fail me. Its only a two credit class but it still sucks to spend all of that time on something and have it all go down the toilet because you've read it so many times that you don't see the words on the paper properly. Trying to move past it for finals but am feeling pretty abysmal.

Believe me, this happens to everyone. Golden Rule for writing assignments: once you turn it in, just let it go.

And on a completely unrelated note: studying for crim makes me want to punch a baby. What I thought would be an exciting class filled with exotic fact patterns has turned into a dry lesson on statutory interpretation and mens rea."Yeah, that's great that the one dude ate the other dude, but omg how does the mens rea term apply within the statutory framework?! Does anyone know lol?"

denardisgod

Postby denardisgod » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Last edited by denardisgod on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:54 pm

classes finally over.

i think that's a good thing.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:08 pm

beachbum wrote:
And on a completely unrelated note: studying for crim makes me want to punch a baby. What I thought would be an exciting class filled with exotic fact patterns has turned into a dry lesson on statutory interpretation and mens rea."Yeah, that's great that the one dude ate the other dude, but omg how does the mens rea term apply within the statutory framework?! Does anyone know lol?"

This is exactly how I feel about Crim. So much potential! So little fun!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:21 pm

akili wrote:
beachbum wrote:

This is exactly how I feel about Crim. So much potential! So little fun!

+100000
It's all "Read the statute and pick that shit apart"... Bah, I had so much hope for this class. Turned out liking Property way more than expected though.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 pm

crossarmant wrote:Reading Property Supplements + Exercise Bike = Double Productivity!

I'm going to thank you for this idea. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me before, but I got some serious studying done while burning calories

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

I'm going to thank you for this idea. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me before, but I got some serious studying done while burning calories

Did this at the gym yesterday with my Con Law outline.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 pm

Anyone else regretting not paying attention in that one exceptionally boring class all semester?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 pm

LOLyer wrote:Anyone else regretting not paying attention in that one exceptionally boring class all semester?

yes. What is property?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 pm

LOLyer wrote:Anyone else regretting not paying attention in that one exceptionally boring class all semester?

yes. What is property?

This. I certainly know everything I need to know about sporcle and gawker now, but I doubt that's on my property final.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Did this at the gym yesterday with my Con Law outline.

So doing this tomorrow. I am a huge runner (and like to run outside, which prevents me from doing this), but currently kind of injured and like the idea of killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Should I go to the gym or keep outlining?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:57 pm

TTTLS wrote:Should I go to the gym or keep outlining?

Outline at the gym. Totally feasible. :lol:

akili

Postby akili » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 am

I have 15 days til I'm done with 1L and I am SO tired.

Can't wait til class is done solely so I have more time to work.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 am

My classes are over! :D

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Do any of you have any good advice for takehome exams? I have two 7 hour take home finals and I find it really difficult to practice (which was my go to last semester) because they are so long and the teachers don't do the whole model answer bit. Its kind of frustrating because we have fifteen double spaced 14 font pages and I don't know how to strategize for this mess. One is con law and is basically tell me about how you feel and the other is property, which is, well, property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:30 pm

alicrimson wrote:Do any of you have any good advice for takehome exams? I have two 7 hour take home finals and I find it really difficult to practice (which was my go to last semester) because they are so long and the teachers don't do the whole model answer bit. Its kind of frustrating because we have fifteen double spaced 14 font pages and I don't know how to strategize for this mess. One is con law and is basically tell me about how you feel and the other is property, which is, well, property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a take home civ pro, and I used my checklist and outline as a skeleton answer. It was designed so that you'd hve to analyze almost everything that we had covered, so I just started at the top of my checklist and went through each issue. Since we had 8 hours, there was plenty of time to thoroughly discuss everything if you worked steadily and didn't dither in reading the prompt and issue-spotting. For my exam at least, it would have been a waste of time to pick through the prompt looking for issues- just start with the list of issues and then see if they appear (and they probably will).

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Gah, cannot muster up energy to be productive today. Goddamn cold rainy days and their ability to sap all energy out of me.

EDIT: How I feel right now...

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Went to Con Law professor's OH today for the first time all semester, and he dropped multiple hints for the exam, as well as went over a practice exam with me that I had done that didn't have a model answer. Probably the single most helpful hour of con law all semester.

Outlining 2 practice exams without sample answers today to take to him to look at tomorrow.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 pm

dabomb75 wrote:Went to Con Law professor's OH today for the first time all semester, and he dropped multiple hints for the exam, as well as went over a practice exam with me that I had done that didn't have a model answer. Probably the single most helpful hour of con law all semester.

Outlining 2 practice exams without sample answers today to take to him to look at tomorrow.

Did this last semester with Tors, it was extremely helpful. Doing it this semester with Crim, however I need it most in ConLaw but the prof said he would only take questions online so the whole class has access and no one is disadvantaged... No model answers either. Grrr... At least Property has model answers.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”