1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lasers

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:53 pm

two of my classes don't have a single practice test...bummer.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:55 pm

Today has been awful. I have done nothing but get my brief ready for tomorrow. I hate app ad. Its the biggest time sink and is detracting away from my other classes. I was supposed to take a practice exam but am still plugging away at this stupid thing. Thank God its due tomorrow. Unfortunately, its only one weekish until the first exam. Not good.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Lasers wrote:two of my classes don't have a single practice test...bummer.

Three of mine don't :( One of them (Ks), he gave us one mini problem as a sample but no full tests.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Cannot focus. Cot damn. This brief is due soon and is so disorganized in some parts.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:21 pm

I would prefer it that way. It really levels the playing field. Imagine the LSAT with no practice tests. The actual administration would measure true ability, not just one's ability to master skills through repetition.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:22 pm

This happened to me with all 3 classes last semester(well one prof had half of one test up, ha) I just took tests from other professors and went over my answers to them with mine.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:23 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

I would prefer it that way. It really levels the playing field. Imagine the LSAT with no practice tests. The actual administration would measure true ability, not just one's ability to master skills through repetition.

Sheesh. I would be screwed if it was like that. Mastering past exams from my profs is the only reason I have been able to do well. That's what it seems like, at least.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:24 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

that's true. it is an even playing field.

however, i think those that prepare the most/are most diligent are most benefited by having practice tests; in some sense i like the idea that those that put in more effort are the ones that do better in the class.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:26 pm

ilovesf wrote:
This happened to me with all 3 classes last semester(well one prof had half of one test up, ha) I just took tests from other professors and went over my answers to them with mine.

that's what i'm planning on doing for the statutory class.

for conlaw, i might look at a few practice exams from other teachers, but i don't think they'll be super applicable; they'll probably just be a good indicator of whether i generally know my shit or not.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:00 pm

10 full solid hours of studying and outlining today.

Maybe exams won't be as much of a bloodbath as expected, lets see if I can keep this up everyday for the next 3 weeks.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:04 pm

crossarmant wrote:10 full solid hours of studying and outlining today.

Maybe exams won't be as much of a bloodbath as expected, lets see if I can keep this up everyday for the next 3 weeks.

Just make sure you get your sleep. I was going from 12am-6pm all last week, and after about 6 days of it I was fried and had to take the entire day off to sleep. I did get a lot of shit done, though.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:07 pm

Lasers wrote:that's what i'm planning on doing for the statutory class.

for conlaw, i might look at a few practice exams from other teachers, but i don't think they'll be super applicable; they'll probably just be a good indicator of whether i generally know my shit or not.

I've been looking at some old Columbia Con Law exams lately and it seems like they covered a bunch of different cases/topics than my class did, so I haven't found them too super helpful.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:33 am

Sapientia wrote: Just make sure you get your sleep. I was going from 12am-6pm all last week, and after about 6 days of it I was fried and had to take the entire day off to sleep. I did get a lot of shit done, though.

i've never understood how people could operate on this schedule...

also, 18 hours a day of studying seems intense

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:35 am

dreakol wrote:
Sapientia wrote: Just make sure you get your sleep. I was going from 12am-6pm all last week, and after about 6 days of it I was fried and had to take the entire day off to sleep. I did get a lot of shit done, though.

:shock:

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:08 am

dreakol wrote:

It seems like a recipe for mental and physical breakdown.

Also how damn far behind are you that you need to put in 108 hours in a week?

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Just got the flu, OF COURSE. I have my first exam in a week, and I haven't done anything. Now I can barely open my eyes. It feels like I was hit by a truck. Currently hating that dorky guy who coughed without covering his mouth at the movie theatre.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Con Law prof just dropped his past 6 exams plus model answers plus A+ students answers on us.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Outlined all of Ks, doing my first practice exam... I KNOW NOTHING.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:05 pm

ilovesf wrote:Outlined all of Ks, doing my first practice exam... I KNOW NOTHING.

I am hoping to be done outlining Ks in the next couple days then do a practice exam. :| Right now I am working my way through Acing Ks.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Not nearly as productive as yesterday, but I did drag my fat ass to the gym for the first time in 6 months. Also only 10 pages shy of finishing up my keyed Crim supplement, it's helped a ton for understanding wtf is going on in that class.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Lasers wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

that's true. it is an even playing field.

however, i think those that prepare the most/are most diligent are most benefited by having practice tests; in some sense i like the idea that those that put in more effort are the ones that do better in the class.

IMHO, it's better to be in your position than in Section 5. During the first semester almost no one takes practice exams seriously. During the second semester people start to realize there importance and use them much more often.

Knowing what to look for on exams makes study much easier. Last semester Section 5 had a weird property professor and it was almost impossible to know what to focus on. It was frustrating.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 pm

damn, chemerinsky is a conlaw god.

i should have shook his hand last year when i had the chance to thank him in advance for his genius.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Lasers wrote:damn, chemerinsky is a conlaw god.

i should have shook his hand last year when i had the chance to thank him in advance for his genius.

Good cause I will be relying on him to teach it to me. Much like Freer taught me Civ Pro last semester.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:08 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Lasers wrote:damn, chemerinsky is a conlaw god.

Good cause I will be relying on him to teach it to me. Much like Freer taught me Civ Pro last semester.

Freer was a god. I wish I had the $50 for BarBri, saw Freer live so I didn't have to pay. Chemerinsky's book has been pretty useful though in getting me to understand it all, but I imagine the lectures help even more so. I fucking hate having no income after working for a couple of years.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 pm

kapital98 wrote:
IMHO, it's better to be in your position than in Section 5. During the first semester almost no one takes practice exams seriously. During the second semester people start to realize there importance and use them much more often.

Knowing what to look for on exams makes study much easier. Last semester Section 5 had a weird property professor and it was almost impossible to know what to focus on. It was frustrating.

That dude was a douche :wink:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”