1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JenDarby

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby JenDarby » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:14 pm

ilovesf wrote:
bk1 wrote:Tangential non-exam bluebook question:

Anybody know if you can use "Id." by itself or do you always have to use "Id. at 427."? The bluepages say that it's okay to use it by itself but that's for non-journal stuff. I couldn't find anywhere in the reg bluebook that says it's okay to use by itself.

Are your journal write-ons now?

Whether yes or no, the answer must be "no" since I imagine this would be an honor code violation otherwise. :shock: :lol:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:17 pm

oh, haha I didn't even think of that.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Journal write-ons aren't now. And yes asking during competition would be an honor code violation. I'm working on a non-CLR paper and bluebook whitepages didn't really have a straightforward answer.

Thanks kalvano/TTON. Google wasn't really answering the question for me and the bluebook is fail.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:24 pm

bk1 wrote:Journal write-ons aren't now. And yes asking during competition would be an honor code violation. I'm working on a non-CLR paper and bluebook whitepages didn't really have a straightforward answer.

Thanks kalvano/TTON. Google wasn't really answering the question for me and the bluebook is fail.

For future reference, in the whitepages, it's Rule 4, pages 72-73 and page 109 specifically addresses its use within cases.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:24 pm

bk1 wrote:Journal write-ons aren't now. And yes asking during competition would be an honor code violation. I'm working on a non-CLR paper and bluebook whitepages didn't really have a straightforward answer.

I think TCR whenever anyone ever asks you to do anything remotely related to the bluebook is to direct them here:

http://volokh.com/2011/01/25/richard-po ... -bluebook/

ETA: Make sure you read Posner's article that is linked in that blog post, if you haven't already.

UChicago, where even citation systems are rigorously ripped to shreds.
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:25 pm

kalvano wrote:For future reference, in the whitepages, it's Rule 4, pages 72-73 and page 109 specifically addresses its use within cases.

aha I am a failure. I had read through those pages looking for it being used by itself and missed the fact that the last example is exactly that.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:38 pm

TTTLS wrote:Saturday Night Roll Call.

ohai

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 am

Starting to lose focus. PIZZA BREAK.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:16 am

TTTLS wrote:Starting to lose focus. PIZZA BREAK.

+1. I don't know if it's worth reloading.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:19 am

bubble bath & harry potter

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:22 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

+1. I don't know if it's worth reloading.

I'm leaving the library. Being there at last call (12:50) is too depressing for me. This means I'm going home for pizza, beer, and a movie.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:16 am

Sapientia wrote:How many practice tests per each class does everyone plan on doing? How many is enough?

QFT

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:10 am

Getting motivation to work today, yesterday was a bust unfortunately. Half-assedly had my Property outline open so I could feel guilty while not working but really did nothing, damn. So, going to make some breakfast and head to the library until close today (Or as long as I can hold out and keep my sanity).

Sapientia wrote:How many practice tests per each class does everyone plan on doing? How many is enough?

I have about 3 from each professor so I'm going to try to sit down and do all of the ones I have under timed circumstances. I have anywhere between 3-5 days between each of my exams and a full week of no class before my first one. I'm hoping that they really help come the real deal. Last semester, I did simple issue spotting and reading model answers for 2 of my 3 classes instead of the full exam; the one class I did a full exam under timed circumstances and then reviewed with my professor I booked. So, thinking this time around a bunch of full exams will be the best bet.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:31 am

crossarmant wrote:

I have about 3 from each professor so I'm going to try to sit down and do all of the ones I have under timed circumstances. I have anywhere between 3-5 days between each of my exams and a full week of no class before my first one. I'm hoping that they really help come the real deal. Last semester, I did simple issue spotting and reading model answers for 2 of my 3 classes instead of the full exam; the one class I did a full exam under timed circumstances and then reviewed with my professor I booked. So, thinking this time around a bunch of full exams will be the best bet.

This is pretty much exactly where I'm at. This semester I'd like to do 2-3 for each class.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:34 am

OKay cool. I was planning on doing like 6 for each class. Seems that the consensus is that that is more than enough.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Sapientia wrote:OKay cool. I was planning on doing like 6 for each class. Seems that the consensus is that that is more than enough.

Lol yeah way more than 99% of anyone is doing

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Quick question about Property if anyone can answer.

Our class hasn't gone over the rule against perpetuties - we weren't assigned any reading but we went over a little in class and he said mechanics won't be on the test but policy will. Does anyone want to give me a quick run down of the major polic?

I'm pretty sure he started off the topic with "This won't be on the exam" then talked about it and said, "but you will be responsible for the policy," so my notes are scarce.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Sapientia wrote:OKay cool. I was planning on doing like 6 for each class. Seems that the consensus is that that is more than enough.

Yup. I'm gonna write 2-3 and then maybe just issue spot 1 or 2 others for each class. Last semester it was 3-5 for each course.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Quick question about Property if anyone can answer.

Our class hasn't gone over the rule against perpetuties - we weren't assigned any reading but we went over a little in class and he said mechanics won't be on the test but policy will. Does anyone want to give me a quick run down of the major polic?

I'm pretty sure he started off the topic with "This won't be on the exam" then talked about it and said, "but you will be responsible for the policy," so my notes are scarce.

If I remember correctly, it has a lot to do with dead hand control. The reason for strictly construing wills that involve RAP type of inheritance is because society does not want valuable land to be controlled indefinitely (and, at often times, by the arbitrary whim) of someone who is no longer with us. Economically speaking, the land could be value-less to the person who inherited it and very valuable to someone else but because of all the conditions and restrictions placed on it by the decedent, the person is unable to legally sell it. RAP alleviates the economists nightmare by allowing resources to go to the highest-valued user.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:25 pm

Re practice exams, I'm probably going to do 5 or so full ones (write out the answer entirely under timed conditions). It's nice to practice just writing everything out and analyzing it in full. When I've done this in the past, I've noticed patterns pretty quickly. There's not much utility after you do it a few times, though.

Beyond the full exams, I'll probably issue spot for as many more as I can stomach. When I issue spot, I just note big topics that I'd write about, go through the analysis in my head, and note any quirks or areas where I'll need to focus. I'll then check my answer and make sure I got everything.

I also like reading through other people's outlines when it comes close to finals. Particularly people that did well last year. It's a good review and I find it helpful to see things arranged/articulated in different ways.

That's my plan for the next couple of weeks.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:58 pm

4.5 hours of ConLaw studying in the library done. Time for a lunch/dinner break for an hour or two and then back to the library until close. Time to whittle away at a Crim outline to make it small enough to be manageable for an exam.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Practice exams: I don't have very many. Maybe 4 for one class, 4 for another, and then 1 each for the other two classes. So I'll probably just go ahead and do all of those. I'm on track to finish my outlines by Tuesday or Wednesday (I know, I'm WAY behind) and then my finals start the following Tuesday. I have 2-3 days between exams, so I'll probably take practice exams during those gaps.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:18 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Practice exams: I don't have very many. Maybe 4 for one class, 4 for another, and then 1 each for the other two classes. So I'll probably just go ahead and do all of those. I'm on track to finish my outlines by Tuesday or Wednesday (I know, I'm WAY behind) and then my finals start the following Tuesday. I have 2-3 days between exams, so I'll probably take practice exams during those gaps.

We unfortunately don't have many practice exams available either. Some profs don't even have one. Using other profs but as there's no answer to compare to, makes it more difficult.

at the moment reading through outlines, doing E&Es for civ pro & cali lessons for property & contracts.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:23 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:We unfortunately don't have many practice exams available either. Some profs don't even have one. Using other profs but as there's no answer to compare to, makes it more difficult.

at the moment reading through outlines, doing E&Es for civ pro & cali lessons for property & contracts.

Only one of my practice exams, out of the like 12 I have, actually has a model answer on file with it. I'm so frustrated by that. I may see about going to office hours with a practice exam and going over it my profs. I did so last semester and it helped a lot.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:41 pm

crossarmant wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:We unfortunately don't have many practice exams available either. Some profs don't even have one. Using other profs but as there's no answer to compare to, makes it more difficult.

Only one of my practice exams, out of the like 12 I have, actually has a model answer on file with it. I'm so frustrated by that. I may see about going to office hours with a practice exam and going over it my profs. I did so last semester and it helped a lot.

That's a good idea. I may do that. Either that or discuss a couple of the exams w/ friends.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”