1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby bartleby » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 am

Well I surely am not and I am on a time crunch so thanks haha, I'll just stick to los hypos

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:23 am

I am so completely fucked. What did I do this entire semester.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:29 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:I am so completely fucked. What did I do this entire semester.


I can empathize, but luckily I've two weeks until my first final with an entire week off with no class before the first one. I mean, I've been to every class and done all the readings for each class but I haven't really supplemented too much besides occasionally flipping through an E&E or browsing some other book I checked out of the library. Looks like I know what I'm doing all weekend. Especially considering I spent all last weekend drinking whiskey and watching TV shows on my laptop.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 am

Today was productive. Made it through the short and happy guide to property, did some cali property lessons, and read through my state statute on landlord tenant act. The brief is getting there. I revised my RE and am happy to almost be ready to turn it in Monday. I've devised a schedule for myself where I do four hours of studying for a particular class and then atleast 4 hours of brief until due date Monday. I stuck with it today but we shall see about the weekend.

We are so close to being finished with 1L. While I hate to see exams come soon, because I also feel doomed, I am so happy to be one step closer to being finished with school. :D
Last edited by alicrimson on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:29 am

alicrimson wrote:Today was productive.


I actually had a great day covering property, but I had to stop reading there :?

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:31 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:Today was productive.


I actually had a great day covering property, but I had to stop reading there :?


Good :D Have you read the short and happy guide to property? It really is short and happy...and covered pretty much my entire class in less than 110 pages.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:34 am

alicrimson wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
alicrimson wrote:Today was productive.


I actually had a great day covering property, but I had to stop reading there :?


Good :D Have you read the short and happy guide to property? It really is short and happy...and covered pretty much my entire class in less than 110 pages.


EVERYONE swears by it. My buddy ordered it today and it comes in Saturday, so I might borrow it from him when I'm done...Acing CivPro was pretty helpful in its short and sweet nature. Our teacher is WAY out in left field when it comes to his teaching, though, so using supplements is difficult with him. Definitely more worried about that class than ConLaw or CivPro.

I've laid out days to cover each class till the end of the semester. Starting Sunday, I'm going to be following your path and pretty much exclusively taking practice test and filling in the gaps in my knowledge that way. Hope it helps.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Lasers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:27 am

kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

two exceptions only: freer/e&e for civpro; chemerinksy for conlaw.

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TTTLS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:04 am

Damn. I got so much work done today and tonight, yet it's still not enough. WTF!

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12540
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:56 am

my brief is perfect but 1000 words over the limit. no idea what to do. so annoyed.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

Jessuf wrote:my brief is perfect but 1000 words over the limit. no idea what to do. so annoyed.


Intensive rounds of line edits. Start with all the prepositional phrases. Look at every place you use a phrase when a word would do. It'll take a whlie, but it's infinitely better than cutting a chunk.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dreakol » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 am

Lasers wrote:kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

two exceptions only: freer/e&e for civpro; chemerinksy for conlaw.


cali lessons for property were 180 imo

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

dreakol wrote:
Lasers wrote:kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

two exceptions only: freer/e&e for civpro; chemerinksy for conlaw.


cali lessons for property were 180 imo


I'm piling through them right now.

Feel like i'm learning so much ^_^

I'm copying and pasting some of the definitions straight into my outline as I work through them, because they're better than the fucked up garbage i deduced from my casebook.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 am

Oral Argument in 3.5 hours. I have not been this nervous since I proposed. Like I'm feeling physically ill. I really do not want to do this.

How the fuck did I go from being in Drama club in high school as a lead in all the plays, singing, dancing and speaking before auditoriums full of people... to this mess of a person extremely frightened to make a case in front of my LRW professor and TA? WTF?

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

crossarmant wrote:Oral Argument in 3.5 hours. I have not been this nervous since I proposed. Like I'm feeling physically ill. I really do not want to do this.

How the fuck did I go from being in Drama club in high school as a lead in all the plays, singing, dancing and speaking before auditoriums full of people... to this mess of a person extremely frightened to make a case in front of my LRW professor and TA? WTF?


Know the shit out of your facts. Everything will flow from there. Hope for a lot of questions, most people are better off the cuff. Try to only look at your argument outline when absolutely necessary. KNOW YOUR FACTS. You can craft whatever logic you need to fit them when the questions start coming.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Lasers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Guchster wrote:
dreakol wrote:
Lasers wrote:kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

two exceptions only: freer/e&e for civpro; chemerinksy for conlaw.


cali lessons for property were 180 imo


I'm piling through them right now.

Feel like i'm learning so much ^_^

I'm copying and pasting some of the definitions straight into my outline as I work through them, because they're better than the fucked up garbage i deduced from my casebook.

old outlines from top students are the way to go.

better than any commercial supplement can ever be, imo.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby crossarmant » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:13 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Oral Argument in 3.5 hours. I have not been this nervous since I proposed. Like I'm feeling physically ill. I really do not want to do this.

How the fuck did I go from being in Drama club in high school as a lead in all the plays, singing, dancing and speaking before auditoriums full of people... to this mess of a person extremely frightened to make a case in front of my LRW professor and TA? WTF?


Know the shit out of your facts. Everything will flow from there. Hope for a lot of questions, most people are better off the cuff. Try to only look at your argument outline when absolutely necessary. KNOW YOUR FACTS. You can craft whatever logic you need to fit them when the questions start coming.


Popped a Xanax, suited up and yelled at a mirror for an hour. Went in shit scared and worried that I was going to just sound terrible. Turns out, getting critiques at the end, I had an amazing oral argument and should be a litigator... Can I handle that sort of daily anxiety?

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
dabomb75
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby dabomb75 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Lasers wrote:
Guchster wrote:
dreakol wrote:
Lasers wrote:kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

two exceptions only: freer/e&e for civpro; chemerinksy for conlaw.


cali lessons for property were 180 imo


I'm piling through them right now.

Feel like i'm learning so much ^_^

I'm copying and pasting some of the definitions straight into my outline as I work through them, because they're better than the fucked up garbage i deduced from my casebook.

old outlines from top students are the way to go.

better than any commercial supplement can ever be, imo.


+1. only reason I survived property and civ pro last semester, and only reason I will (hopefully) survive con law this semester

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby alicrimson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

I use supplements but +1 on good outlines from older students. I have some for all of my classes this semester but I still feel the cold jaws of con law bearing down on my neck. No good. I have almost resigned myself to accepting what I get in that god forsaken class and focusing all efforts on civ pro+property.

lucield
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:31 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby lucield » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 pm

first final april 26.

i'm up to date with all the readings, but i've only done a first pass review for 1/4 classes (con - going over an old outline + re reading every rule from each case/topic in chemerinsky supp) I have 9 full days off, a little under two weeks until my first exam (civ pro) and then an exam every 4 days.

So....... do you guys think I can get into rough fighting shape and generally know whats going for each class by lets say.... 4/22?

that's my goal...

.....

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Lasers wrote:kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

two exceptions only: freer/e&e for civpro; chemerinksy for conlaw.

Agreed. I don't know if my school is the exception to the rule, but other than Torts, every single one of my professors wanted us to cite to cases and we were only tested on what we covered. And my con law professor apparently takes a huge number of points off if you bring up points he didn't teach but are in every commercial outline/guide (e.g. he doesn't cover taxing/spending powers and if you bring it up on a final, it's basically an automatic full grade deduction). So I sold Chemerinsky to a kid in another section.

Completely surprised by the fact that, at least first semester, we were tested on what we learned and only what we learned. The general consensus on TLS is that class time and the case book are a waste. Without going to class/taking good notes and reading every assignment in the casebook thoroughly, you were guaranteed to be below-median pwned.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11776
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby ilovesf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:28 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Lasers wrote:kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

two exceptions only: freer/e&e for civpro; chemerinksy for conlaw.

Agreed. I don't know if my school is the exception to the rule, but other than Torts, every single one of my professors wanted us to cite to cases and we were only tested on what we covered. And my con law professor apparently takes a huge number of points off if you bring up points he didn't teach but are in every commercial outline/guide (e.g. he doesn't cover taxing/spending powers and if you bring it up on a final, it's basically an automatic full grade deduction). So I sold Chemerinsky to a kid in another section.

Completely surprised by the fact that, at least first semester, we were tested on what we learned and only what we learned. The general consensus on TLS is that class time and the case book are a waste. Without going to class/taking good notes and reading every assignment in the casebook thoroughly, you were guaranteed to be below-median pwned.

I used the e&e for civ pro last semester A LOT, but that was pretty much it. I didn't use a supp at all for torts, and I looked at the e&e for property but it wasn't helpful. This semester I'm going to read the e&e for contracts (because I understand nothing), and chemerinsky for con law for some areas that are a little iffy. We have to cite to specific cases for all of my classes except crim, so I don't try not to rely on other things.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm going to give up on con law soon and just start prewriting my responses for huge topics like PIC (for 4/14th Amd), Sub. Due Process, Proc. Due Process, EPC, etc.

I can't see an outline being useful for me. There are hardly any elements or tests, and analysis just seems to look better for me as a pre-written answer than it does as questions in a checklist.

anyone do this with some success? I think the reason i'm tempted to do it, is because the rules always come in clusters of cases. When you bring up slaughterhouse, the rule section of your analysis, automatically encompasses cases like Corfield v. Coryell, and Paul v. Virginia, Bradwell, etc. It just seems easier instead of outlining a brief version of these cases to write them into a narrative discussion as part of an analysis.

this is what i did for civ pro and contracts and steam rolled those classes.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12540
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Guchster wrote:I'm going to give up on con law soon and just start prewriting my responses for huge topics like PIC (for 4/14th Amd), Sub. Due Process, Proc. Due Process, EPC, etc.

I can't see an outline being useful for me. There are hardly any elements or tests, and analysis just seems to look better for me as a pre-written answer than it does as questions in a checklist.

anyone do this with some success? I think the reason i'm tempted to do it, is because the rules always come in clusters of cases. When you bring up slaughterhouse, the rule section of your analysis, automatically encompasses cases like Corfield v. Coryell, and Paul v. Virginia, Bradwell, etc. It just seems easier instead of outlining a brief version of these cases to write them into a narrative discussion as part of an analysis.

this is what i did for civ pro and contracts and steam rolled those classes.


I'm doing this for con law too. I did it for civ pro and contracts as well, and those were the two classes I booked. Hoping it works again!

User avatar
TTTLS
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:09 am

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby TTTLS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Friday Night Roll Call.

All gunners report in.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alora, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests