1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bartleby

Re: 1L Exam Prep and Motivation Thread

Postby bartleby » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 am

Well I surely am not and I am on a time crunch so thanks haha, I'll just stick to los hypos

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:23 am

I am so completely fucked. What did I do this entire semester.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:29 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:I am so completely fucked. What did I do this entire semester.

I can empathize, but luckily I've two weeks until my first final with an entire week off with no class before the first one. I mean, I've been to every class and done all the readings for each class but I haven't really supplemented too much besides occasionally flipping through an E&E or browsing some other book I checked out of the library. Looks like I know what I'm doing all weekend. Especially considering I spent all last weekend drinking whiskey and watching TV shows on my laptop.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 am

Today was productive. Made it through the short and happy guide to property, did some cali property lessons, and read through my state statute on landlord tenant act. The brief is getting there. I revised my RE and am happy to almost be ready to turn it in Monday. I've devised a schedule for myself where I do four hours of studying for a particular class and then atleast 4 hours of brief until due date Monday. I stuck with it today but we shall see about the weekend.

We are so close to being finished with 1L. While I hate to see exams come soon, because I also feel doomed, I am so happy to be one step closer to being finished with school. :D
Last edited by alicrimson on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:29 am

alicrimson wrote:Today was productive.

I actually had a great day covering property, but I had to stop reading there :?

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:31 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

I actually had a great day covering property, but I had to stop reading there :?

Good :D Have you read the short and happy guide to property? It really is short and happy...and covered pretty much my entire class in less than 110 pages.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:34 am

alicrimson wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

Good :D Have you read the short and happy guide to property? It really is short and happy...and covered pretty much my entire class in less than 110 pages.

EVERYONE swears by it. My buddy ordered it today and it comes in Saturday, so I might borrow it from him when I'm done...Acing CivPro was pretty helpful in its short and sweet nature. Our teacher is WAY out in left field when it comes to his teaching, though, so using supplements is difficult with him. Definitely more worried about that class than ConLaw or CivPro.

I've laid out days to cover each class till the end of the semester. Starting Sunday, I'm going to be following your path and pretty much exclusively taking practice test and filling in the gaps in my knowledge that way. Hope it helps.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:27 am

kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

two exceptions only: freer/e&e for civpro; chemerinksy for conlaw.

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:04 am

Damn. I got so much work done today and tonight, yet it's still not enough. WTF!

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:56 am

my brief is perfect but 1000 words over the limit. no idea what to do. so annoyed.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

Jessuf wrote:my brief is perfect but 1000 words over the limit. no idea what to do. so annoyed.

Intensive rounds of line edits. Start with all the prepositional phrases. Look at every place you use a phrase when a word would do. It'll take a whlie, but it's infinitely better than cutting a chunk.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 am

Lasers wrote:kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

cali lessons for property were 180 imo

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

dreakol wrote:
Lasers wrote:kinda surprised so many rely on supplements. i went into law school thinking they were going to be so important but in actuality, i almost never had to use them.

I'm piling through them right now.

Feel like i'm learning so much ^_^

I'm copying and pasting some of the definitions straight into my outline as I work through them, because they're better than the fucked up garbage i deduced from my casebook.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 am

Oral Argument in 3.5 hours. I have not been this nervous since I proposed. Like I'm feeling physically ill. I really do not want to do this.

How the fuck did I go from being in Drama club in high school as a lead in all the plays, singing, dancing and speaking before auditoriums full of people... to this mess of a person extremely frightened to make a case in front of my LRW professor and TA? WTF?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:28 am

crossarmant wrote:Oral Argument in 3.5 hours. I have not been this nervous since I proposed. Like I'm feeling physically ill. I really do not want to do this.

How the fuck did I go from being in Drama club in high school as a lead in all the plays, singing, dancing and speaking before auditoriums full of people... to this mess of a person extremely frightened to make a case in front of my LRW professor and TA? WTF?

Know the shit out of your facts. Everything will flow from there. Hope for a lot of questions, most people are better off the cuff. Try to only look at your argument outline when absolutely necessary. KNOW YOUR FACTS. You can craft whatever logic you need to fit them when the questions start coming.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Guchster wrote:
dreakol wrote:

I'm copying and pasting some of the definitions straight into my outline as I work through them, because they're better than the fucked up garbage i deduced from my casebook.

old outlines from top students are the way to go.

better than any commercial supplement can ever be, imo.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:13 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Oral Argument in 3.5 hours. I have not been this nervous since I proposed. Like I'm feeling physically ill. I really do not want to do this.

Know the shit out of your facts. Everything will flow from there. Hope for a lot of questions, most people are better off the cuff. Try to only look at your argument outline when absolutely necessary. KNOW YOUR FACTS. You can craft whatever logic you need to fit them when the questions start coming.

Popped a Xanax, suited up and yelled at a mirror for an hour. Went in shit scared and worried that I was going to just sound terrible. Turns out, getting critiques at the end, I had an amazing oral argument and should be a litigator... Can I handle that sort of daily anxiety?

--ImageRemoved--

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Lasers wrote:
Guchster wrote:
dreakol wrote:

old outlines from top students are the way to go.

better than any commercial supplement can ever be, imo.

+1. only reason I survived property and civ pro last semester, and only reason I will (hopefully) survive con law this semester

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

I use supplements but +1 on good outlines from older students. I have some for all of my classes this semester but I still feel the cold jaws of con law bearing down on my neck. No good. I have almost resigned myself to accepting what I get in that god forsaken class and focusing all efforts on civ pro+property.

lucield

Postby lucield » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 pm

first final april 26.

i'm up to date with all the readings, but i've only done a first pass review for 1/4 classes (con - going over an old outline + re reading every rule from each case/topic in chemerinsky supp) I have 9 full days off, a little under two weeks until my first exam (civ pro) and then an exam every 4 days.

So....... do you guys think I can get into rough fighting shape and generally know whats going for each class by lets say.... 4/22?

that's my goal...

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Agreed. I don't know if my school is the exception to the rule, but other than Torts, every single one of my professors wanted us to cite to cases and we were only tested on what we covered. And my con law professor apparently takes a huge number of points off if you bring up points he didn't teach but are in every commercial outline/guide (e.g. he doesn't cover taxing/spending powers and if you bring it up on a final, it's basically an automatic full grade deduction). So I sold Chemerinsky to a kid in another section.

Completely surprised by the fact that, at least first semester, we were tested on what we learned and only what we learned. The general consensus on TLS is that class time and the case book are a waste. Without going to class/taking good notes and reading every assignment in the casebook thoroughly, you were guaranteed to be below-median pwned.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:28 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Agreed. I don't know if my school is the exception to the rule, but other than Torts, every single one of my professors wanted us to cite to cases and we were only tested on what we covered. And my con law professor apparently takes a huge number of points off if you bring up points he didn't teach but are in every commercial outline/guide (e.g. he doesn't cover taxing/spending powers and if you bring it up on a final, it's basically an automatic full grade deduction). So I sold Chemerinsky to a kid in another section.

Completely surprised by the fact that, at least first semester, we were tested on what we learned and only what we learned. The general consensus on TLS is that class time and the case book are a waste. Without going to class/taking good notes and reading every assignment in the casebook thoroughly, you were guaranteed to be below-median pwned.

I used the e&e for civ pro last semester A LOT, but that was pretty much it. I didn't use a supp at all for torts, and I looked at the e&e for property but it wasn't helpful. This semester I'm going to read the e&e for contracts (because I understand nothing), and chemerinsky for con law for some areas that are a little iffy. We have to cite to specific cases for all of my classes except crim, so I don't try not to rely on other things.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm going to give up on con law soon and just start prewriting my responses for huge topics like PIC (for 4/14th Amd), Sub. Due Process, Proc. Due Process, EPC, etc.

I can't see an outline being useful for me. There are hardly any elements or tests, and analysis just seems to look better for me as a pre-written answer than it does as questions in a checklist.

anyone do this with some success? I think the reason i'm tempted to do it, is because the rules always come in clusters of cases. When you bring up slaughterhouse, the rule section of your analysis, automatically encompasses cases like Corfield v. Coryell, and Paul v. Virginia, Bradwell, etc. It just seems easier instead of outlining a brief version of these cases to write them into a narrative discussion as part of an analysis.

this is what i did for civ pro and contracts and steam rolled those classes.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Guchster wrote:I'm going to give up on con law soon and just start prewriting my responses for huge topics like PIC (for 4/14th Amd), Sub. Due Process, Proc. Due Process, EPC, etc.

I can't see an outline being useful for me. There are hardly any elements or tests, and analysis just seems to look better for me as a pre-written answer than it does as questions in a checklist.

anyone do this with some success? I think the reason i'm tempted to do it, is because the rules always come in clusters of cases. When you bring up slaughterhouse, the rule section of your analysis, automatically encompasses cases like Corfield v. Coryell, and Paul v. Virginia, Bradwell, etc. It just seems easier instead of outlining a brief version of these cases to write them into a narrative discussion as part of an analysis.

this is what i did for civ pro and contracts and steam rolled those classes.

I'm doing this for con law too. I did it for civ pro and contracts as well, and those were the two classes I booked. Hoping it works again!

TTTLS

Postby TTTLS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Friday Night Roll Call.

All gunners report in.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”